--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2010: Faster

Faster
    USA, 2010
    Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
    95 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433108/

Dwayne ďThe RockĒ Johnson stars as a driven ex-con out on a relentless quest for revenge.

After a long stint doing comedies and family films, Faster marks Dwayne Johnsonís return to serious action on the big screen. Directed by George Tillman, Jr., this film is an incredibly intense and pulse-pounding journey of bloodshed as we follow our nameless hero through his personal hitlist. Set to a fantastic soundtrack and retro-feel graphics, Tillman hearkens back to a genre of serious action we havenít seen in some time. Michael Gradyís photography is superb in both the quiet and the chaotic scenes. Thereís really a sense of scope to the film, both grand and intimate. Also needing mention is the great sound design, particularly for the heroís car, a gorgeous 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS. Everything in the movie feels like it has real weight, adding a great deal of impact to whatís on screen.

The characters all feel larger than life, but are hardly caricatures. All of them have deeply personal flaws, making them feel genuine, despite their extraordinary exploits. Everyone in the cast delivers in the acting department, Oliver Jackson-Cohen and The Rock, in particular. For a former professional wrestler and action hero, Johnsonís performance is surprisingly nuanced and impressive. He really got his chance to stretch his acting chops, and he doesnít disappoint. Granted, it didnít seem like an especially sophisticated role, but he breathes life into it where others wouldnít have. The ending of the movie felt a little hastily put together, and it definitely didnít need the situation spelled out for the audience the way it had. Still, the revenge story is well told and adds depth to a genre usually known only for blood and a lack of character development.

It should be noted that the title doesnít refer to the pace of the story. This is not a high-octane joyride through the desert; itís more like a slow ominous walk down a dark hallway. Thereís an immense feeling of tension and energy throughout the film, keeping you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. The action industry welcomes Johnson back with open arms, and it shows. While not the same fight-friendly icon we saw in his WWE days and The Rundown, he moves through the movie with purpose and conviction, adding that same energy to the action scenes here. The character is a getaway driver, and it was really played up though the car chases. The stunt driving was absolutely stunning, making up the most intense moments of the film. However, the action, while integral to the story, is not the focus here, so donít expect some kind of explosion- or gore-fest. Faster is a powerful addition to the revenge film genre, and is well worth the price of admission.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...friday-faster/

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 12:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recall reading, several years ago, that Dwayne Rock Johnson was prepping to make a movie version of the old arcade game "Spy Hunter". Essentially, that game is 100% driving based and I was wondering if certain elements of that script were melded into this film

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 1:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The acting is great but, the way the movie was put together is seriously flawed. If they took out the weird hitman love triangle and the unnecessary pregnancy issue it would have been better.

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 4:58pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of the title graphics I'd assumed this was a sort of meta-sequel to the Fast and Furious series.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/05/2010 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a hunch that the title was changed to "Faster" along with the marketing campaign to sell the film as some kind of Crank-style adrenaline-rush action flick, which it absolutely is not. Someone in the upper management probably thought it wouldn't sell as a slow-paced dark crime drama, so they decided to change the name and market it as such.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad to see the Rock has reached the metaphorical ring ropes and been released from the figurative figure four leg lock that Disney had around his career. Seriously, Escape from Witch Mountain? THE TOOTH FAIRY? Apparently Mr. Johnson did not budget the money he made in his WWE career wisely.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/06/2010 11:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I'm glad to see the Rock has reached the metaphorical ring ropes and been released from the figurative figure four leg lock that Disney had around his career. Seriously, Escape from Witch Mountain? THE TOOTH FAIRY? Apparently Mr. Johnson did not budget the money he made in his WWE career wisely.
    The Rock and Vin Diesel wanted a little of that Disney money...OR MAYBE LIFETIME PASSES TO DISNEYLAND!

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch View Post
    Because of the title graphics I'd assumed this was a sort of meta-sequel to the Fast and Furious series.
    And now we wait for FURIOUSER.