Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've long felt that the historical rondel dagger material makes a great basis for self defense against/combat with screwdrivers, which are fairly common weapons of expedience.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    55
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three years of longsword, mostly early Lichtenauer and Fiore. Also dagger and a bit of unarmed, some I.33 sword and buckler, and a sampling of poleaxe and messer.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I've long felt that the historical rondel dagger material makes a great basis for self defense against/combat with screwdrivers, which are fairly common weapons of expedience.
    According to accounts that I've been able to find, "icepick" style attacks are common using improvised weapons in situations where access to a knife is unavailable. Pens, pencils, screwdrivers, etc. are all commonly used in this manner. I recall reading one account of a lawyer attacked with a pen by his client while in court. IMS, he lived though sported a pen sticking out of his neck for a while. :P

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spokanistan, WA
    Posts
    91
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our groups main focus is Longsword & Ringen. We draw mainly from the Lichtenauer tradition, but also Fiore. I have minor experience in dagger, sword & buckler, single sword, poleaxe and quarterstaff as well.

    I would like to study Rapier as well, sometime in the future, but I'd be content to focus on Longsword & Ringen indefinitely.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    55
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spungdeeper View Post
    Our groups main focus is Longsword & Ringen. We draw mainly from the Lichtenauer tradition, but also Fiore. I have minor experience in dagger, sword & buckler, single sword, poleaxe and quarterstaff as well.
    Out of interest, what's the benefit of supplementing with Fiore?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spokanistan, WA
    Posts
    91
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think to provide pan-european perspective. Additionally his sword in one hand techniques I think are unique. I personally haven't delved very deeply into Fiore and its inclusion has been the result of the instructors' perogatives.

    Aside from that he is hilarious.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fiore has some pretty good moves from the bind. His pommel strikes, sword grabs, and kicking from the bind come to mind. I think his unique way of showing who is doing the move (the gold thing) is pretty awesome too.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utrecht
    Posts
    5
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We mainly focus on Liechtenauer Longsword and Fiore Ringen/Dagger where I train. Been training there for a bit over 2 years now, still suck, but getting there. I'd love to break into some I:33 sword/buckler stuff, but distinct lack of equipment/interest/time among my fellows...

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    55
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Fiore has some pretty good moves from the bind. His pommel strikes, sword grabs, and kicking from the bind come to mind. I think his unique way of showing who is doing the move (the gold thing) is pretty awesome too.
    The question was intended as more of a "What's Fiore got that Lichtenauer corpus doesn't?"

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, AK
    Posts
    174
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in the Liechtenauer German Longsword tradition with the Historic Recrudescence Guild in Anchorage, Alaska last year. Now that I have moved to a remote locale I will have to buy training equipment for potential training partners to actively train. Maybe in the Fall I will be able to make some purchases.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO