Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've long felt that the historical rondel dagger material makes a great basis for self defense against/combat with screwdrivers, which are fairly common weapons of expedience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 9:24am

Style: WMA Lichtenauer Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three years of longsword, mostly early Lichtenauer and Fiore. Also dagger and a bit of unarmed, some I.33 sword and buckler, and a sampling of poleaxe and messer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 9:42am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I've long felt that the historical rondel dagger material makes a great basis for self defense against/combat with screwdrivers, which are fairly common weapons of expedience.
    According to accounts that I've been able to find, "icepick" style attacks are common using improvised weapons in situations where access to a knife is unavailable. Pens, pencils, screwdrivers, etc. are all commonly used in this manner. I recall reading one account of a lawyer attacked with a pen by his client while in court. IMS, he lived though sported a pen sticking out of his neck for a while. :P

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:55pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our groups main focus is Longsword & Ringen. We draw mainly from the Lichtenauer tradition, but also Fiore. I have minor experience in dagger, sword & buckler, single sword, poleaxe and quarterstaff as well.

I would like to study Rapier as well, sometime in the future, but I'd be content to focus on Longsword & Ringen indefinitely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spungdeeper View Post
    Our groups main focus is Longsword & Ringen. We draw mainly from the Lichtenauer tradition, but also Fiore. I have minor experience in dagger, sword & buckler, single sword, poleaxe and quarterstaff as well.
    Out of interest, what's the benefit of supplementing with Fiore?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 1:40pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think to provide pan-european perspective. Additionally his sword in one hand techniques I think are unique. I personally haven't delved very deeply into Fiore and its inclusion has been the result of the instructors' perogatives.

Aside from that he is hilarious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2011 11:33pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fiore has some pretty good moves from the bind. His pommel strikes, sword grabs, and kicking from the bind come to mind. I think his unique way of showing who is doing the move (the gold thing) is pretty awesome too.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 7:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We mainly focus on Liechtenauer Longsword and Fiore Ringen/Dagger where I train. Been training there for a bit over 2 years now, still suck, but getting there. I'd love to break into some I:33 sword/buckler stuff, but distinct lack of equipment/interest/time among my fellows...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 12:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Fiore has some pretty good moves from the bind. His pommel strikes, sword grabs, and kicking from the bind come to mind. I think his unique way of showing who is doing the move (the gold thing) is pretty awesome too.
    The question was intended as more of a "What's Fiore got that Lichtenauer corpus doesn't?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 4:28pm

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in the Liechtenauer German Longsword tradition with the Historic Recrudescence Guild in Anchorage, Alaska last year. Now that I have moved to a remote locale I will have to buy training equipment for potential training partners to actively train. Maybe in the Fall I will be able to make some purchases.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast