Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 6:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fundamental grappling instruction DVDs?

Can anyone recommend some good fundamental instructional DVDs on bjj (or judo, sambo etc)? Iím sick of wading through the **** on you tube trying to find something that isnít some weird variation or has shitty lighting/audio or just plain sucks. Iím looking for fundamental takedowns, passes, submissions etc and their defenses/counters (as opposed to say . . . flying armbars or the latest and greatest techniques used to win the most recent ADCC/mundials).

This website:

http://www.groundfighter.com/

seems to have some good choices (I want to say Iíve read good things about ceasar gracies on bullshido?). Iím also considering the gracie barra and the gracie combatatives dvd sets. It would be nice to have something comprehensive that I can go straight home after class and immediately review the technique/counter Iím looking for without having to waste time on the internetz. Menu organization that makes it easy to find the technique Iím looking for would be a bonus.

Any recommendations? Is there a set that stands out among the others as a Ďmust haveí? Thanks in advance and I apologize if I missed a thread(s) that covered this already.

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 7:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never mind

I should have read before posting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 7:08pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pedro Sauers path to black belt series is super solid for basic techniques. Try Path to Blue belt and Path to purple belt, should be a torrent flying around.

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 7:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting films produce the best Judo instructional videos and highest quality content.

http://www.fightingfilms.com/top/onl.../coaching.html

http://www.fightingfilms.tv/

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i found the mike swain complete judo series to be fantastic.

for submission grappling i love barret yoshida's videos.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 9:12pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you take notes on the techniques you were taught in class and review those afterwards? I know I've gotten a lot more mileage out of doing that than books and dvd's.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 11:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gracie Combatives is pretty good for basic BJJ.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gracie Combatives is great for people with no BJJ experience looking for strong fundamental instruction, you only get the moves, not the counters.

The GJJ philosphy until blue belt is JJ you use against people who do no JJ. The GC series has by far the best techincal instruction in beginning JJ I've ever seen, but it doesn't cover any counters. In GJJ you don't get into counters until you start training for purple. Right now that information is only available on line and not on DVD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 11:33pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    G'dday,while not strictly on topic, if you're looking for what seem to be reasonable YouTube instructionals then give Stephan Kestings channel (stephankesting) a look. I believe he also has a dvd series but am unable to comment on it,however the Youtube vids should give you a reasonably good idea what to expect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 9:16am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also like to add the Gracie Barra videos to the list of recommendations, as well as Roy Dean's videos. Keith Owen also has his out, but I have only the free samples to base an opinion on them(they seem to be good). Along with those already mentioned: Pedro Sauer's, Gracie Combatives, Mike Swain......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast