Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is becoming a Boxing nutriding thread, which I am happy about! Boxing doesn't get enough credit IMHO. Everyone wants to jump to complicated and flashy marital arts. Boxing seems too simple and to sportified. I started with boxing, and never even considered it a martial art. After training in multiple other arts, I have learned that boxing/kickboxing would be best for most people to start in(for striking).

Congrats on your training, enjoy it, and keep updating!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 1:53pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by koshiki View Post
    Take kyokushin.....it'll get you pretty fit.

This.
    :5camoufla

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ..But not as fit as boxing.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:33pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    Welcome to the world of aliveness :)

I aim to do a striking art like boxing or muay thai one day, need to sort a couple of things out first though :D

Question: Do you find boxers are nicer people than the people you met at Wing Chun? I've found that people into more alive martial arts seem pretty chilled compared to traditionalists.
    Chunners definitely think their art is THE answer to everything. Then again, most of them have never been hit. If they were, they'd probably understand their limitations.

One frustrating aspect about my previous Wing Chun instructor was that he had no patience. If I didn't do everything correctly within the first try, he'd basically tell you to go away. Then he'd spend hour long demonstrations on showing people why he was such a badass. No question, he was quite skilled at what he did, but his smugness ended up rubbing off on his students.

When I walked into boxing, my instructor gave me no guarantees about boxing's effectiveness on "the streets". However, he was more human with me. I asked him about this later.

Turns out, when someone walks into a boxing gym, most students are scared shitless about getting hit. They don't need to be constantly harangued about their "n00b" status. As it is, people have already conquered their fears by deciding to take up boxing, so there's no reason to be a dick to anybody.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:38pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is one of my favorite activities. I was losing my interest in bjj and getting complacent in my training. Switching up a few days with boxing renewed my interest in martial arts and helped keep me going to the gym.

It even made my bjj better.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:41pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At a club I trained at for a bit, the coach said something to the effect of this:

"Some of you may know how to fight. Most of you don't. This isn't fighting, this is boxing. It's not going to make you into a badass streetfighter, I am going to teach you how to move and punch, and make sure you're fit before you get in the ring. The rest is all you, and no excuses."

Great motivational bit, especially 'cause some of us noobs were roughhousing and talking about MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:42pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    ..But not as fit as boxing.
    I wouldn't know, i've never taken boxing. :ninja2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:46pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Learning the mechanics of proper striking will carry over to most martial arts. I had a bit of boxing trainng a long time ago and it has really paid off when training in other MAs, even when the stance had to be modified for the particular style.
    A good portion of students at my gym know another martial art and use boxing to cross train. One of the instructors also has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, another one is a Choy Lay Fut enthusiast. I asked them how boxing helps with their other disciplines, and they both say Western Boxing taught them how to properly generate power from their hips.

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my instructors in Karate crosstrained boxing which I'm very fortunate for. If not I wouldn't be able to throw a hook well or defend them as well, it's one thing Karate just tends not to teach well if it's traditional even if other stuff is done right. My uppercut is still meh, I'd like to try a little bit of boxing some day to sharpen things up, but no time at the moment for anything else on my plate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 3:18pm

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adding in on the nutriding, I recently found a boxing gym where it's 50 bucks a year to train that's down the road from my MMA gym and gets out right when my classes start so I can go straight there afterward.

I went for the first time yesterday and the guy pointed out a ridiculous amount of bad habits I have, just from holding the mits for me for one session. I believe I'll be going back. :D
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast