Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:37am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Western Boxing has turned my life around

Well, I'm here to eat my words.

6 months ago, I asked on this forum about starting a CMA. I had already been three months into Wing Chun. Then I tried Tai Chi and Bagua. While it was all interesting theory, it wasn't getting me fit, nor was it easy to learn. Yet, in my stubbornness, I wasn't quite willing to give up trying a CMA.

Time and economics changed my mind, though. My wedding was coming up, there was a boxing gym down the road that charged $550/year, and I needed to get fit fast.

Western boxing it had to be, then.

Fast forward to now. I'm fitter than I ever have been. After months of skipping, planking, running, and shadowboxing, I've lost 20lbs. My stomach is tighter, my feet are lighter, and my limbs are looser.

Now I'm not saying that boxing is for everyone, now am I saying it's the ultimate art. However, if you're looking to learn to defend yourself quickly, and get yourself fit, boxing is it.

Here's the advantages to boxing (as I see it):

• You get hit. Hard.
    • Trains you for stamina
    • Specializes you for a specific skill (obviously punching)
    • Can be combined with other disciplines
    • Most boxers understand their limitations

Obviously, boxing doesn't teach you to kick, grapple, or throw. Eventually, I want to learn Muay Thai and BJJ. Occasionally, I still practice Tai Chi. Despite its limitations and small tool set, boxing really is the real deal.

I've lost 20lbs since I've started. After 3 months of Wing Chung, I was still 200lbs. If I had to choose between doing 6 months of Wing Chun or 6 months of Western Boxing, I'd pick Western Boxing.

Yes, I'm still pretty much a n00b, so take this post with a grain of salt. But you gave me good advice, I took it, and here's my status update.

Thank you :bully:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Well, I'm here to eat my words.

6 months ago, I asked on this forum about starting a CMA. I had already been three months into Wing Chun. Then I tried Tai Chi and Bagua. While it was all interesting theory, it wasn't getting me fit, nor was it easy to learn. Yet, in my stubbornness, I wasn't quite willing to give up trying a CMA.

Time and economics changed my mind, though. My wedding was coming up, there was a boxing gym down the road that charged $550/year, and I needed to get fit fast.

Western boxing it had to be, then.

Fast forward to now. I'm fitter than I ever have been. After months of skipping, planking, running, and shadowboxing, I've lost 20lbs. My stomach is tighter, my feet are lighter, and my limbs are looser.

Now I'm not saying that boxing is for everyone, now am I saying it's the ultimate art. However, if you're looking to learn to defend yourself quickly, and get yourself fit, boxing is it.

Here's the advantages to boxing (as I see it):

• You get hit. Hard.
    • Trains you for stamina
    • Specializes you for a specific skill (obviously punching)
    • Can be combined with other disciplines
    • Most boxers understand their limitations

Obviously, boxing doesn't teach you to kick, grapple, or throw. Eventually, I want to learn Muay Thai and BJJ. Occasionally, I still practice Tai Chi. Despite its limitations and small tool set, boxing really is the real deal.

I've lost 20lbs since I've started. After 3 months of Wing Chung, I was still 200lbs. If I had to choose between doing 6 months of Wing Chun or 6 months of Western Boxing, I'd pick Western Boxing.

Yes, I'm still pretty much a n00b, so take this post with a grain of salt. But you gave me good advice, I took it, and here's my status update.

Thank you :bully:
    Thanks for that. If my MMA gym ever offers boxing in addition to the muay thai, BJJ and wrestling classes, I would definitely try it out. Oh yeah, you might want to change your style field.

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 3:00am

Style: TKD...On hiatus now.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take kyokushin.....it'll get you pretty fit.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 6:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank _od you went in the right direction and picked boxing.

Congratulations, you now get access to the small club of people who actually know how to punch.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 6:52am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff, Boxing is fucking awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 8:20am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the world of aliveness :)

I aim to do a striking art like boxing or muay thai one day, need to sort a couple of things out first though :D

Question: Do you find boxers are nicer people than the people you met at Wing Chun? I've found that people into more alive martial arts seem pretty chilled compared to traditionalists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 9:37am

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learning the mechanics of proper striking will carry over to most martial arts. I had a bit of boxing trainng a long time ago and it has really paid off when training in other MAs, even when the stance had to be modified for the particular style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 10:04am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congrats man! good job

and wish you happiness on your marriage

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 10:07am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations. Few things in life will cut out the bullshit and make you into a badass like boxing will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 11:52am

Style: Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :)

I used to box back in college, It is great for fitness, self confidence, letting off steam and yes.. learning to keep your guard up or risk taking a punch in the face!
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast