Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who caight the implications of dojo politics in the OP? There's mention of a dispue with the instructor over the direction of the club. These black belts leave (in a huff?). Then they return for... what? Old times sake? To check out the competition? And they rag on one of the students that didn't leave with them. Sour grapes?

I mean, as IIF pointed out, the OP might not be accurate and there could be a completely different side to this story. But if it is accurate, sounds like it's more about politics than technique, if you ask me.

:)

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 7:28am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without reading the other responses (sorry chaps) I'd say def. don't quit the sport, but if you think they had a point they were making, consider a different gym.

You were there, did you get the sense they were just polishing their own nobs, or actually trying to show you something that words wouldn't easily express, like your school's gone soft???

I know, that i don't know, but you might have a gut feeling about it. I doubt it was personal, more likely ego on their part, or a hard point made by them about the classes now.

whatever you do though, don't quit the sport/art over it. Reflect and reapply yourself...there or somewhere else.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 8:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Am I the only one who caight the implications of dojo politics in the OP?

I mean, as IIF pointed out, the OP might not be accurate and there could be a completely different side to this story. But if it is accurate, sounds like it's more about politics than technique, if you ask me.
    I agree with you, it sounded like the black belts were fishing for mutinies. The subtext I got (from OP at least) was "You're a disappointment, I think it's because your school sucks, come to ours if you're a real man". But that's just my POV.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 9:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One time in Judo a guy threw me on the floor and then later he choked me. Nothing he said could have made it more fun than that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 11:08am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    Your ignorance never fails to amuse me.
    Oh the irony is keeping me up. Pray tell, enlighten me oh learned one on my ignorance.

You going to tell me how awesome of a teacher you are? How your students absolutely love you and how you have dozens of students who have moved on to top tier schools, are teachers and educators themselves? If so, save it, you're still a fucktard.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 11:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Am I the only one who caight the implications of dojo politics in the OP? There's mention of a dispue with the instructor over the direction of the club. These black belts leave (in a huff?). Then they return for... what? Old times sake? To check out the competition? And they rag on one of the students that didn't leave with them. Sour grapes?

Don't be silly there's no such thing as poltics in Judo.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 11:24am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    That's all fine and dandy but he then says... "Ivan, you're a disappointment. That was disappointing." That pretty much felt like my whole grappling progress went straight down the drain. Normally, I don't care what other people even care to say about me, but these guys I kinda looked up to and wanted to emulate.
    Two black belts roll with you for the first time in a long period of time and they turtle up? And call you a disappointment? Rolling with a black belt who just turtles up is a disappointment to me, and I'm just reading about it.

They should do the tough love thing on people they train with much more consistently.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 11:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl View Post
    As a professional teacher outside of martial arts I can say that this is a very blunt way to assess a student however an opponent/attacker would have been less forgiving and perhaps this is what he was driving at.
    Yeah, turtling up while rolling is a real awesome way to drive home that point. As attackers always ball up on the ground covering up in confrontations.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 11:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post
    Two black belts roll with you for the first time in a long period of time and they turtle up? And call you a disappointment? Rolling with a black belt who just turtles up is a disappointment to me, and I'm just reading about it.

They should do the tough love thing on people they train with much more consistently.
    A black belt turtling up for a beginner is normal in Judo, if the black belt is trying to help the beginner work on their skills rather than just steam rollering them. Especially if in the class they worked on turnovers or other moves attacking the back it gives them an opportunity to apply what they've learnt in a semi resisting situation.

I let beginners pull me down into a turtle or rei and then get into an 'open' turtle to let them work things all the time.

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 12:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I have several purple belts that like to turtle up one me. Plenty of times where I can't get hooks in or anything and I just get swept. Don't think I have ever been told my performance was disappointing. Have been scolded for not keeping my hooks in and that sort of thing. Reading this thread though really makes me appreciate my gym all that much more as everyone I roll with on a regular basis is encouraging and helpful.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456