Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 5:54am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They sound like a pair of wankers to me. A black belt versus a blue belt is no comparison. The browns and purples at the place I train at sometimes look bored when they are rolling against beginners but they generally allow them to try a few moves before escaping and fucking them over. They also tend to throw out the odd instruction like "you want to try getting your knee over here" etc - then they make it really difficult for you to do so, which is a great way of learning. There's one purple belt at the place I go to who is a complete prick though. He sits there looking bored, waits a minute or two while you embarrass yourself then throws on a really dangerous submission such as arm bar while kneeling on your jaw or neck. If you try anything serious attack he just punishes you badly, the last noob who jump over his guard ended up screaming for the tap while he knelt on hi eye socket (this fucker is also about 16 stone). I just avoid guys like him because I learn nothing from them and I don't like rolling with dickheads. I'm not a professional fighter, so besides a tough workout and bit of hard rolling I want to learn something and have fun for my money. Don't quit bjj/judo - just train harder and avoid rolling with idiots that have higher ranks.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 7:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the verdict is, those guys are jerks.

Oddly enough, I just had the opposite experience. I rolled with a BJJ BB the other day. Not surprisingly, he toyed with me, and very methodically pulled me into his guard and manuevered me into a triangle. And I tapped. About what I expected when rolling with a BB. But after, the guy was full of praise! lol Said I was strong (which led to his biggest criticism of me, musceling), had a good base/posture and defended well. I said thanks, but inside my head I was thinking, "Whatever, buddy, I'm pretty sure I suck!" lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 8:23am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They sound like dicks. Everyone has to start as a newbie and work their way up, and yes you will make crappy mistakes and stuff along the way. I believe this is called learning :ninjadanc

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 8:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That black belt knows true Judo. Judo is about building your moral character and physicallity. He is using the ancient public school boy method of improving your moral character, by exposing and humilating you for anything that makes you pathetic. As a result you will strive to improve yourself and therefore not be pathetic anymore. Alternatively if you don't rise up to and strive to improve yourself then you have proved them right and you're pathetic.

Spoiler:
    His comment was dickish if it was just that put down. If it was 'you're disappointing, because I know you're better than this and you made these mistakes which you know you shouldn't make etc...' it would have been ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 9:14am

Style: Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did he give you a reason why you were disappointing?
    Or offer any constructive criticism?

If not, he's just a dick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They decided to comeback and show the instructor up it seems to me. I've rolled with a brown belt...any instructory I've rolled with...brown and purples have let me work and not smashed me. The worse thing ever said to me was to work on my flexibility. A teacher doesn't do that. They are constructive. They were being jerks. You're a white belt and orange....you should have expected that 2 black belts would have been helpful

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 10:17am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    You guys probably don't want to hear a sad sob story about grappling, but I'm in the throes of almost wanting to quit judo/bjj. Anyways, I've been doing judo for the last two years and BJJ for the last year. Only a orange belt and two striped white belt. Our club had changed and these two black belts left to join a different one, because our club got too "soft", the teachers started to emphasis more technique and less randori. I look up to these two guys, they're pretty skilled and out class me in technique and weight. They stopped in for tonight and I hadn't rolled with them two for probably about a couple of months. I thought, why not give it a go, I picked up a few things in BJJ (mind you we were doing ne waza). So I went with him, we bowed and he started to do the whole turtle thing for the noobies. I thought alright, hes done this before. I take his back and proceeded to try and choke him. Long story short I failed and pulled guard and played from there and then to half guard as he was trying to break it. I tried to play some half guard and take his back (I've been experimenting a bit with half guard and wanted to progress in it). I couldn't get the underhook and he arm locked me. That's all fine and dandy but he then says... "Ivan, you're a disappointment. That was disappointing." That pretty much felt like my whole grappling progress went straight down the drain. Normally, I don't care what other people even care to say about me, but these guys I kinda looked up to and wanted to emulate.

After that, the other black belt needed someone and so, hell I'll try to redeem myself. So he turtles up too. He let me try to choke him, I pretty much failed at it, there was no way my hand could reach deep into his collar. But what frustrated me was he started to look at his nails and pretended to look at a watch. I felt like they pretty much summed up my grappling experience - inadequate and almost regressing to a point. Anyways, just wanted to feel what you guys think, anyone had this experience? I mean they're cool, but I thought that was probably the most asshole thing they did.

Long story short, black belt called me a disappointment and I feel like I'm seriously lacking focus and progress. ( I feel like half of you are going to call me a *****, especially Omega I JUST FEEL IT )

edit: tried to break it up, so it doesn't look like a huge fucking block of text
    Dude, believe me, I EXACTLY understand how you feel.

When I started jiu jitsu, it was more like me and my partner study some youtube videos and go to a judo gym and beg the instructor to give us some area on the mat so we can try those in the class.we did this around 1 month.
    Then I found these guys who train&teach bjj in my city.(the other gym was in the city my university at.i was there in the week, and in my city in the weekends)And I started to train with them too.

I was REALLY looking up to my teacher (which was a blue belt then-and a purple now-) cuz he was like a hero to me, considering how i "tried" to train before.

Funny, this guy was REALLY discouraging against me (i had similar&worse things happened to me, long story and funnily enough ,he ignores me now) and I had the EXACT feelings that you had.

My girlfriend back then told me that I should man up, go on training, dont care what he says and dont think so highly of him at all.
    I listened to her and now I'm also a purple (same rank as him) and I am so happy that I never quit this sport.

I suggest you the same. Never give up something so good for some dirt.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only time a black belt ever used "judo" and "disappointing" with me in the same sentence was one of my black belt level tests in TKD when kwangjanim said it was disappointing that I used Judo as one of my self defence techniques. I than asked him if he thought the technique would be effective and he couldn't say no.

I agree with what judoka_uk said. If he feels that you were better prior and was disappointed, as dickish as it may have sounded, maybe it could be a good kick in the ass that you need to tighten up your game. Just keep playing and practising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 10:27am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you?

It takes a lot of maturity to not judge yourself by the perception of other but it is a truly rewarding point in your life when you can allow yourself to be judged by your own progress.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I just avoid guys like him because I learn nothing from them and I don't like rolling with dickheads. I'm not a professional fighter, so besides a tough workout and bit of hard rolling I want to learn something and have fun for my money. Don't quit bjj/judo - just train harder and avoid rolling with idiots that have higher ranks.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I like BJJ, I like the self-defense aspect and aliveness and it's a good workout, but I don't think I'll be a professional fighter, so I don't like people who smash the **** out of me.

I've no problem with losing, it's part of learning BJJ. But losing *and* getting totally fucked up and possible injured (I've come close) is no fun and will make me avoid people. Which is a shame :new_puppy
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast