218269 Bullies, 7852 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 19 of 19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,180

    Points
    3,648
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/03/2010 5:47am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on week 4 of 5x5 and doing approximately 1 BJJ session per week. No troubles at all.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  2. LarsCG is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    155

    Points
    297
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/03/2010 8:14am


     Style: Judo/Roadwork

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    If you're just sore and not injured I would prescribe a dose of 2 testicles and continued training.

    Seriously, soreness doesn't count as injury.
    Never counted it as such.

    Regards,
    Lars
  3. badacid is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    40

    Points
    173
    Achievements:
    3 months registered

    Posted On:
    12/03/2010 11:20am


     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you everyone for the advice.

    Make sure you pay attention to your diet, I know you want to lose weight but calorie deficient on a program like this will be your undoing.
    Thank you - I was cutting back on intake to lose weight, but you're right. I was feeling light headed but after increasing the calories, I felt a lot better.

    don't know if it is a possibility but could you do BJJ 3 time a week and strong lifts x2 times?
    With BJJ, mat time is a huge thing as far as improvement goes and at least for me over training doing bjj is harder to do then over training on lifting.
    Any thoughts on this guys?
    I was wondering about this - The classes are available Tues Wed Thu. I could do the SL 5x5 M & F (The website says that it's okay, but slower results.) But with my situation any activity is probably good for me and would result in weight loss.


    If you're just sore and not injured I would prescribe a dose of 2 testicles and continued training.
    Please tell me it's only one at a time - have you ever tried putting 2 testicles in your mouth at the same time??? You have to unhinge your jaw.

    Seriously though - I agree that soreness isn't an injury, but everything I have read about SL 5x5 states minimum 2 day rest between sessions. I just don't want my fat ass to pop a kneecap across the room on a squat because I am overtraining.

    Again - Thank you for your advice and letting me know about your previous experience with the same situation.
  4. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,180

    Points
    3,648
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/03/2010 2:40pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard View Post
    Make sure you pay attention to your diet, I know you want to lose weight but calorie deficient on a program like this will be your undoing.
    A stupid question here: If I start doing the program calorie deficient but makes sure I take carbs & protein for recovery purposes right after gym and make sure I get enough protein (let's say at least 120g for a 85kg person, multiple ~30g intakes per day, how much is enough anyway?) daily how much am I shooting myself in the foot? I'm OK with sacrificing a bit on the overall gains as long as I end up losing weight but wouldn't want to **** it up too much. I guess I've got around 20-25% body fat. Not chubby but not very athletic looking either.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  5. teh_pelt is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27

    Points
    1,267
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/05/2010 5:40pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo Tum Pai, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    120g of protein sounds like a lot of protein. And at 30g at a time is only 4 meals? something sounds pretty off with that.
  6. smillard is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    345

    Points
    573
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/13/2010 10:57am


     Style: BJJ/boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spirit of Christmas View Post
    A stupid question here: If I start doing the program calorie deficient but makes sure I take carbs & protein for recovery purposes right after gym and make sure I get enough protein (let's say at least 120g for a 85kg person, multiple ~30g intakes per day, how much is enough anyway?) daily how much am I shooting myself in the foot? I'm OK with sacrificing a bit on the overall gains as long as I end up losing weight but wouldn't want to **** it up too much. I guess I've got around 20-25% body fat. Not chubby but not very athletic looking either.
    Not a stupid question at all. I'd shoot for 1 grams per kilogram of weight if you are about 20 -25% body fat. Not to be mean but if you are 20-25% percent I'd say that ranks as "chubby".

    The simplest way I can put this is think of your body like buidling a house. The first thing you need is a solid foundation. The best way to build a solid foundation is with strength training and a calorie rich diet. Get the calorie counter out of your head, think quality over quantity.

    You eat 2,200 calories a day and a third of that is refined sugar you are being counter productive your body will go into a conservation mode and you will lose muscle, look like crap and after some small weight loss you will plateau out and the second you increase caloric intake your weight will go up, not to mention you will feel like crap and your workouts will probably lead to an injury if you are following the program properly. Now eat 2,500 calories of proteins, complex carbs and veggies and you will start to see some big improvements.

    Eat lot of fiber and drink a lot of water, if you do this you will probably lose a couple of Kg the first week just by cleaning all the crap (literally) out of your system. From there you body will start to adjust and your recovery from the workouts will be more fruitful, as you add muscle mass you will also develop more bone density, add to this some cardio such as BJJ and some running and the weight will melt off for the first month and after that it will slow down but will be a constant until you level off.
  7. smillard is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    345

    Points
    573
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/13/2010 11:04am


     Style: BJJ/boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    If you're just sore and not injured I would prescribe a dose of 2 testicles and continued training.

    Seriously, soreness doesn't count as injury.
    There is a difference between DOMS and injury related soreness. Believe me I came from the "walk it off" school of medicine growing up. Hell I fell off a mountain bike last week about a meter onto a rock right in the ribs, rode my bike out of there, layed in pain for a little bit and figured a beer would take the edge off, come to find out I had a collapsed lung. So I drove to the hospital. First they couldn't believe I drove myself and second they were amazed I sat in a bar for two hours drinking. So chalk one up to being to stupid and stubborn to address pain.

    The injury soreness from these kinds of overtraining are normally at ligament and tendons. These injuries don't go away, you also notice bruises that used to take a couple of days to go away start to take weeks. These are signals that shouldn't be ignored.
  8. hpr is offline
    hpr's Avatar

    Knock-off Cthulhu

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,180

    Points
    3,648
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/14/2010 4:48am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard View Post
    Not a stupid question at all. I'd shoot for 1 grams per kilogram of weight if you are about 20 -25% body fat. Not to be mean but if you are 20-25% percent I'd say that ranks as "chubby".
    WHY SO MEAN!!?!! Hehe. I don't actually know my body fat percentage, but yeah. I'm close to chubby.

    This is me before starting:



    This is me after a month of training, flexing in front of a mirror like an idiot.



    I decided to go to a pro next month to see what my (then) current body composition actually is. The last time I was measured I was about 28% body fat but that was over 2,5 years ago and I was weighing around 89kg then.

    Quote Originally Posted by smillard View Post
    The simplest way I can put this is think of your body like buidling a house. The first thing you need is a solid foundation. The best way to build a solid foundation is with strength training and a calorie rich diet. Get the calorie counter out of your head, think quality over quantity.

    You eat 2,200 calories a day and a third of that is refined sugar you are being counter productive your body will go into a conservation mode and you will lose muscle, look like crap and after some small weight loss you will plateau out and the second you increase caloric intake your weight will go up, not to mention you will feel like crap and your workouts will probably lead to an injury if you are following the program properly. Now eat 2,500 calories of proteins, complex carbs and veggies and you will start to see some big improvements.
    I agree about the counter productivity of refined sugar. I've been on and off on a slack Atkins-like diet for the last three years trying to maintain the gains I made with it. These days I avoid white bread etc just by habit. My long term calorie intake is too much though since if I stop following up my diet I start to gain weight.

    My earlier (see the fat loss thread) weight loss gambit was a minimal success, going from 87kg to about 83-84kg. Now I'm just trying to maintain my current weight, since I know losing weight and gaining muscle mass / strength is most likely doomed to fail. My weight hovers around 85kg right now. I've gone from about 84 to 85 during the last month according to gym's scale unless I've been eating sugary stuff. Then my weight can go +2-4kg for a couple of days.

    BTW: Are the basic body composition scales (without any handlebars etc) snake oil, or should I invest in one? My previous scale broke down about a month ago.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
  9. smillard is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    345

    Points
    573
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    12/14/2010 8:58am


     Style: BJJ/boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spirit of Christmas View Post
    WHY SO MEAN!!?!! Hehe. I don't actually know my body fat percentage, but yeah. I'm close to chubby.

    This is me before starting:



    This is me after a month of training, flexing in front of a mirror like an idiot.



    I decided to go to a pro next month to see what my (then) current body composition actually is. The last time I was measured I was about 28% body fat but that was over 2,5 years ago and I was weighing around 89kg then.



    I agree about the counter productivity of refined sugar. I've been on and off on a slack Atkins-like diet for the last three years trying to maintain the gains I made with it. These days I avoid white bread etc just by habit. My long term calorie intake is too much though since if I stop following up my diet I start to gain weight.

    My earlier (see the fat loss thread) weight loss gambit was a minimal success, going from 87kg to about 83-84kg. Now I'm just trying to maintain my current weight, since I know losing weight and gaining muscle mass / strength is most likely doomed to fail. My weight hovers around 85kg right now. I've gone from about 84 to 85 during the last month according to gym's scale unless I've been eating sugary stuff. Then my weight can go +2-4kg for a couple of days.

    BTW: Are the basic body composition scales (without any handlebars etc) snake oil, or should I invest in one? My previous scale broke down about a month ago.
    Unless you are planning on entering an event where you need to be at a certain weight I wouldn't even worry about the scale. I'd base progress on how your clothes are fitting and how you are feeling and once in awhile do that little vanity pose down in the mirror (sorry,couldn't pass that one up).

    I have only had experience with cheaper body composition scales and they were complete crap. Too much of a standard deviation for me to trust it. I'm sure more expensive models probably give a little better results but then again, why do you need it unless you are planning on going into the ring, wrestle or some other event that requires you be within a certain weight range.

    From your photos you look like you are more in the high teens that mid 20's for body fat unless you were sucking in your gut really good or it is a very flatterling mirror.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.