Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 3:24pm

Style: BJJ, Wing Chun Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

5x5 & BJJ - New to both, but have a question about how to proceed

Hello,

I recently restarted BJJ (Never really started because due to a death in the family. Then we went to new york to visit family for a month) and I am looking to do some weight lifting as well.

I've done some research and I really like the 5x5 routine as well as it fits into both of our schedules.

To put everything out there, I am very fat (350lbs - last caliper test was estimated 102lbs of fat) - My hope is to change that with BJJ & Weight Lifting. I don't want to injure myself by starting too much at once but I don't want to lose the motivation I feel.

5x5 states to start off at bar weight and add 5lbs per work out until you are unable to do 5/5/5/5/5. Is the progression of weight slow enough to not injure myself while doing BJJ M & Th?

It would be:
    M 5x5
    T BJJ (1 hour until 2stripes - then 2 hours)
    W 5x5
    Th BJJ (1 hour until 2stripes - then 2 hours)
    F 5x5

Am I setting myself up for failure by starting both routines this early in my goal towards getting healthier?

I tried the search for 5x5 & Jiu Jitsu and found this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=5x5+Jiu+Jitsu

However, it doesn't really address my issue as the person in the thread isn't doing 5x5 and he's doing multiple days of BJJ.

Thank you for your help
    Badacid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 3:32pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man im one of the less qualified here, but i'm familiar with starting bjj while you're out of shape so i'll throw in my 2 cents:

Start with your plan, and if you feel too worn/tired to keep training at that rate, or you start picking up minor injuries, drop a day or two of weightlifting until you feel better, and then pick it back up when you're comfortable with it.

As long as you keep training a few days a week and eat healthy you are going to get into better shape. Avoiding overtraining is just a matter of not rushing, as a beginner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 3:58pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried doing it and I could only do both for about 6 weeks. On the 7th week my body was feeling like crap and little injuries were coming through but I was doing BJJ three times a week and doing sprints on Saturday.

Give it a try and if you start to notice your not making gains in the 5x5 then cut back either on the BJJ or adjust the workouts. Make sure you pay attention to your diet, I know you want to lose weight but calorie deficient on a program like this will be your undoing.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You say "THE 5x5 routine". Which one are you talking about? There are hundreds of them.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 5:00pm

Style: BJJ, Wing Chun Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacked Frost View Post
    You say "THE 5x5 routine". Which one are you talking about? There are hundreds of them.
    Sorry about that - Stronglifts5x5
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it helps, I've found that when it all gets a bit too much, you can get just as many benefits from stronglifts by dropping down to 2 days a week.

Personally I made faster progress this way simply because I wasn't overtraining anymore.

It's a good program, If I wasn't training 6 days a week on a regular basis I'd still be doing it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it is a possibility but could you do BJJ 3 time a week and strong lifts x2 times?
    With BJJ, mat time is a huge thing as far as improvement goes and at least for me over training doing bjj is harder to do then over training on lifting.
    Any thoughts on this guys?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 5:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo Tum Pai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your doing those two, with that routine, you should be fine. Strong lifts starts light, so the initial stress shouldn't be a big problem. I'd imagine the break in period wouldn't be a big problem.

However, in a normal situation i'd recommend staggering the two a little. Start the bjj, then maybe a month or two later, start the 5x5. Both being physically taxing commitments i'd hate to see you drop either of them, as the results/rewards from both are amazing.

For yourself however, since it sounds as though your pretty motivated, i say go for it. The weights start small, you shouldn't have problems with injuries or being to sore/fatigued from lifting. worst case scenario, your feeling too sore or tired, drop the 5x5 to two days a week and switch the 3rd to a light aerobic work out or something,(like some exercise bike time, or some easy laps in a pool) to keep the good workout schedule you've made :)

But in short go for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 6:10am

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard View Post
    I tried doing it and I could only do both for about 6 weeks. On the 7th week my body was feeling like crap and little injuries were coming through but I was doing BJJ three times a week and doing sprints on Saturday.

Give it a try and if you start to notice your not making gains in the 5x5 then cut back either on the BJJ or adjust the workouts. Make sure you pay attention to your diet, I know you want to lose weight but calorie deficient on a program like this will be your undoing.
    This is close to my experience too - I did 3xSL and 4xJudo per week for approximately 6 or 7 weeks, and ended up feeling like crap due to not getting enough rest (was 2-3 months into the SL program by then). Lots of annoying little injuries, fatigue, soreness that never quite let go etc. Since SL largely is a "supporting" activity for my Judo, I cut back on it.

I guess it's possible to push these kinds of limits through training, but I'll be quite careful to avoid having this happen again. Losing mat-time to it felt bloody frustrating.

Best of luck badacid!

Regards,
    Lars

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 6:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're just sore and not injured I would prescribe a dose of 2 testicles and continued training.

Seriously, soreness doesn't count as injury.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast