Page 4 of 4 First 1234
    Style
    Aikijujutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hardly being crushed, that chart shows the growth of sales as a percentage, year on year, not the sales volume. That just says that compared to this time last year people are buying slightly less notebooks. Big deal, the ipad has captured a certain corner of the market, they work for some people, some of those people in that chart bought it because it works for some people and they thought it might work for them too, then next year maybe they wil buy another notebook because actually they really need that format.

The iPad is no revolution, the idea has been around for decades, and was there in the form of smart phones well before Apple got involved. What Apple did, was what they are good at, putting a decent OS onto existing technology, but with Android coming onto the field, even thats being levelled. Which is another point, how much of those falling notebook sales are purely because of the iPad, and not the other offerings that are out there?

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    The iPad is no revolution, the idea has been around for decades, and was there in the form of smart phones well before Apple got involved. What Apple did, was what they are good at, putting a decent OS onto existing technology, but with Android coming onto the field, even thats being levelled. Which is another point, how much of those falling notebook sales are purely because of the iPad, and not the other offerings that are out there?
    100,000 Android applications for both smartphone and Android tablets. There is an Android tablet? You bet.

Apple won the mp3 war with the iPod, used that leverage to break into the cell phone market (vamping off of AT&T service revenue...) but that was so 3-4 years ago, a lifetime in this market.

While they sell Ipads and I'm sure quite a few, the other vendors are all at least on even keel now, in fact the Iphone has been completely surpassed as far as innovation is concerned by the other smartphone vendors, and in the tablet market, Apple is definitely LATE to the game as Yoj pointed out (Toshiba, Fujitsu have produced quality business-ready tablets for years).

Apple is, like in the past, trying to keep riding a receding wave. Apple needs to focus on growing the number of ways Ipads can be used by supporting development the way Android's development has exploded (100,000+ apps!) but I fear they are too worried about pushing units to the masses than they are expanding their usability.

Otherwise I think the Ipad will go the way of the Palmpilot: a shiny toy with a short shelf life that is completely irrelevant after a few years.

This video pretty much sums up everything you need to know about anything i*.

YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/09/2010 9:23am at .

Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hardly being crushed, that chart shows the growth of sales as a percentage, year on year, not the sales volume. That just says that compared to this time last year people are buying slightly less notebooks. Big deal, the ipad has captured a certain corner of the market, they work for some people, some of those people in that chart bought it because it works for some people and they thought it might work for them too, then next year maybe they wil buy another notebook because actually they really need that format.

Forgive me for believing a Morgan Stanely analyst over you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Style
    Aikijujutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    That's fine, statistics are open to interpretation. Their analyst has looked at the data and drawn conclusions, but why haven't they looked at the actual volumes of sales and compared them with the volume of sales of iPads, and shown that the expected growth in laptop sales that hasn't been seen, can be explained by the iPad sales. It's incomplete.

Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would someone from Microsoft be a better source that Ipad is hurting the netbook market?

http://tablet-news.com/2010/11/03/wi...oduct-manager/

Gavriella Schuster, Microsoft Windows general product manager recently admitted that slates like the iPad and Android models are a danger to Windows netbook sales.

Schuster made her statement to Nick Eaton at Seattle PI, also admitting that netbooks are getting killed as the iPad becomes more popular. Apparently, 90% of the netbooks run Windows and the platform is getting hurt, as netbook sales decrease. Well, MS had this coming, since the iPad, available since April has already managed to sell 4 million units.
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Style
    Aikijujutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell I'm pleased at anything that hurts Microsoft! That article at least looks at some of the figures involved in the Ipad marketshare and sales, from which you can get a better picture, I didn't like the Morgan Stanley because it wasn't thorough, and made assumptions without backing them up. Sound familiar?

It also raises some interesting questions, is it the pad concept or is it the OS thats selling it? WIn7 pads arent selling, and I'm not surprised, I've used it on a touch screen and it sucks, which means that there is a pretty big opportunity for Android. Ipads are in one way an affordable way to get a decent OS on a device without having to make yourself too nerdy by installing linux.

Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell I'm pleased at anything that hurts Microsoft! That article at least looks at some of the figures involved in the Ipad marketshare and sales, from which you can get a better picture, I didn't like the Morgan Stanley because it wasn't thorough, and made assumptions without backing them up. Sound familiar?
    No, don't really follow you. Bullshido and the OP always has assumptions without backing them up. :) (Much love to my little bro.)

It also raises some interesting questions, is it the pad concept or is it the OS thats selling it? WIn7 pads arent selling, and I'm not surprised, I've used it on a touch screen and it sucks, which means that there is a pretty big opportunity for Android. Ipads are in one way an affordable way to get a decent OS on a device without having to make yourself too nerdy by installing linux.
    I've tried the Windows pads, they suck, I agree. The Android one is just like the smaller coutner part Samsung phone. It's pretty neat and I might get one just to test our videos on them and overall how the site looks like.

I recently upgraded the OS, and the Ipad just became easier to use.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    Random link I came across today: http://mashable.com/2010/12/09/tablet-sales-2012/
    Here's the article title: Tablet Sales Expected to Quadruple by 2012 [REPORT]

Also, I just finished a paper on the feasibility of market launch of Research In Motion''s (RIMM) new tablet offering coming out in Q1 2011: The Playbook

The iPad is a pretty gorgeous device, while the Playbook has a smaller screen I'm curious to see how it looks in person. The side by side comparison I've seen has the Playbook rendering websites much faster, and equally visually appealing.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an iPad. It is essentially a toy, but it's a magnificent toy that I can also do work on. I'd much rather carry that around than a laptop. I have a good desktop machine to do any major work on.

Since iOS4.2, it has become one of my favourite gadgets. I'd agree, they perhaps shouldn't have released it before the features that upgrade provided

As a designer, I also use it for presenting visuals, and portfolio work.

It plays (and streams) HD video beautifully. The idea that the content is somehow exclusively iTunes is an urban myth. All of my video at home is encoded primarily for use via my PS3.

As with any similar device (smartphones included), much of the strength lies in Apps. If you make full use of Apps that suit you, any device will be a fucking boon.

As for the future, Apps are going massively eat into the market of standard browsers as a means of utilising the internet. I'm not saying that's thanks to tablets, it's mainly down to smartphones, but once the apps run multi-platform, surfing the web on a browser is just going to become one way instead of the way.

As for alternative platforms, White Rabbit might want to give Android's cock another polish. I think he missed a bit at the base.

Android is doing well, and competition is good for both parties. Truth is, Most apps are developed for both platforms anyway.

Oh, and **** WINDOWS MOBILE!

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. Use skyfire as your browser, and it WILL play Flash videos.

That said, loads of sites which appear to require Flash (iPlayer and such) also run HTML5, which runs perfectly well as standard, and much better than Flash on desktop machines anyway. (as long as you aren't running Explorer 8)
    Last edited by Ignorami; 12/13/2010 10:06am at .

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Page 4 of 4 First 1234