Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2010 12:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been going over this sweep in class recently, and we use that exact grip! Possibly because that is my coach.

As best as I can recall (and has been suggested), the purpose of that grip is to make slack to be gripped further up the sleeve. You are supposed to grab, sit up, and use the slack created by the initial grip to make a tight grip further up the arm with your other hand.

I can't explain it in reference to other grips, but Jon can. I've invited him to the thread, so hopefully he should be able to explain fully.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2010 1:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the grip before, but it always been turned vertical after gripping to cut the slack. I used to swear by monkey myself, but I've learned to use pistol for when I'm injured.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 1:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I, like most of you, prefer the 'four finger roll' grip, and especially when using it to take away the other person's posts, as seen in that video.

Also, that seam that runs along the undersleeve on most BJJ gis helps to curl the fingers (obviously not to the extent of the 'four finger roll' grip, but still better than nothing).
    Last edited by EternalRage; 12/24/2010 1:05am at .

Posted On:
    12/24/2010 7:50am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bumble Monster View Post
    So a video was recently posted of a BJJ Black Belt in the video he explicitly recommends a grip I have never seen anyone else recommend. It is just a straight grip on the inside of the sleeve. I was told that this is the weakest grip and allows people to pull out. Instead I use pistol grips or more typically the regular four fingers rolled in the outside of the sleeve.

What grips do you guys like on the sleeve and is there some merit to this gip?

The video:
    YouTube - Jiu Jitsu Technique: De La Riva cross grip sweep
    Sadly, it's blocked here in the office however it might help if mention that a Trad JJ 5th Dan/Judo 3rd Dan - that's the important qualification, has previously instructed myself and others on the use of a grip on the inside of the sleeve (towards the elbow). Crikey! It worked. It gave him Control and fixed my Arm also allowing him to fold it.

(Another thing I learned is the loose, light hold...a warning sign that the person actually knows what they are doing. This was echoed at another seminar by a friend, Trad JJ 3rd Dan/BJJ Blue/Cage fighter. Quite independently, he said precisely the same thing. Sorry to digress.)

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 11:13am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    So a video was recently posted of a BJJ Black Belt in the video he explicitly recommends a grip I have never seen anyone else recommend. It is just a straight grip on the inside of the sleeve. I was told that this is the weakest grip and allows people to pull out. Instead I use pistol grips or more typically the regular four fingers rolled in the outside of the sleeve.

What grips do you guys like on the sleeve and is there some merit to this gip?

The video:
    YouTube - Jiu Jitsu Technique: De La Riva cross grip sweep
    For this particular technique that grip will work. I myself prefer the four finger curl grip over any other grip. The four finger curl grip is the hardest grips to break once your opponent has it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12