1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 3:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sleeve Grips

So a video was recently posted of a BJJ Black Belt in the video he explicitly recommends a grip I have never seen anyone else recommend. It is just a straight grip on the inside of the sleeve. I was told that this is the weakest grip and allows people to pull out. Instead I use pistol grips or more typically the regular four fingers rolled in the outside of the sleeve.

What grips do you guys like on the sleeve and is there some merit to this gip?

The video:
    YouTube - Jiu Jitsu Technique: De La Riva cross grip sweep

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 3:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting question we where going over this sweep some time last week and now that I think of it, it was being demonstrated with the straight grip(normally it is avoided). I think this is because we where gripping higher up on the forearm for this sweep then you can really get with a pistol grip or the 4 finger roll.

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird my coach definitely recommends the four finger roll for this sweep.

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 5:58pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe he has a judo background? That is the only group of people I know that consistently use anything even similar to that type of grip. Although, I know most of them prefer the cat's paw, or four finger roll as y'all referred to it, if allowed.

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    Maybe he has a judo background? That is the only group of people I know that consistently use anything even similar to that type of grip. Although, I know most of them prefer the cat's paw, or four finger roll as y'all referred to it, if allowed.
    I watched the whole video waiting to see the 'unusual grip'. This is how I would instinctually grip the sleeve end if I was cross gripping like he is in the video. As a Judo player I feel confident in my ability to hold this grip as its how my grip strength is developed, perhaps for those who aren't used to the stresses of gripping in this manner in a competitive/hard randori situation would struggle to maintain it.

I don't really know of any particular strength for this grip as opposed to any other, except perhaps that if you tighten the fabric around the wrist with this grip you have good control over the end of the lever which is the forearm and so perhaps its advantageous for passing the arm between the legs.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:47pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me that he explicitly justifies why he uses that particular grip: At 0:47 he explains that he uses it in order to create some slack to grab later (at 1:07). IOW, it seems he deliberately uses it not because it’s a better grip in itself, but in order to make it quicker/easier to transfer the grip to the other hand. Which sounds reasonable to me, especially if you envision it as a quick move rather than a place to stay and grip fight in.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 7:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    It seems to me that he explicitly justifies why he uses that particular grip: At 0:47 he explains that he uses it in order to create some slack to grab later (at 1:07). IOW, it seems he deliberately uses it not because it’s a better grip in itself, but in order to make it quicker/easier to transfer the grip to the other hand. Which sounds reasonable to me, especially if you envision it as a quick move rather than a place to stay and grip fight in.
    The grip is used to cross grip in judo grip fighting, to control the sleeve long enough to get the dominant grip onto the sleeve (left hand for a RH fighter). It is a form of 2 on one gripping we use regularly, and is done pretty quickly with no intent to hold the grip for a long time.

So it makes sense in the context he is in.

Ben

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 9:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grip seems normal for the purpose of grabbing where the instructor is saying to grab. Yes many use the punch grip for this, but I can see where gripping higher closer to the elbow can help you sit up into them and keep them a little closer w/o as much slack.

This grip is the same grip you use for breaking down someone in the guard, albeit that is on the outside of the elbows, not the inside like this technique.

Nothing extremely special about it, other than most people use the punch grip for that DeLaRiva sweep.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 10:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we went over a De La Riva sweep last night and I got to ask my coach specifically about this sweep and grip combination. I couldn't get him to say it sucks and everyone is stupid for using it but he did repeat about 5 times that he doesn't like it. He also showed me a really easy release from this position.

From the initial grip you can just block the hand with your un-gripped hand and pull up while pushing down to strip it. This is much harder to do against the four finger grip .

Also, he talked about the correct technique for passing the four finger grip which people may be missing. It seems the only complaint about the four finger grip is that it is hard to take or hard to pass to your off hand.

The way I was taught it you begin with a pinch between your thumb and forefinger then roll the other fingers in while turning the sleeve out. If you do this right it creates a rim around the sleeve that is actually really easy to pass to the same grip on your other hand.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 10:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's an interesting take on it. Obviously, I would do what my instructor suggests!

I see why he is gripping that way in that situation. That grip allows him to push the arm between the legs more effectively. It is a transitional position, and the other guy will be off balance before he enters for the sweep if it is done correctly so will have little or no base to apply pressure to break the grip. In fact, if he reaches to do so, he will make it worse for him.

Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 12/01/2010 10:52am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast