Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 5:01am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FarisadDin View Post
    Cheers, the wrestling classes near me are too expensive as is Judo plus I hate the ridiculous bowing and ritualism in japanese MA, Ill just see what I can do. Thanks for your suggestions all are welcome
    Judo is expensive?!?

Are you unemployed or something? Jimminy-Christmas. Judo clubs are among the least expensive martial arts clubs around. They are hosted in YMCAs, Community Centers, Church Leagues, and College Campuses. I'm currently doing a $80 per-six-week-session FAMILY plan at one of my local Y's. And there's 3 other schools within spitting distance of me, one a "Garage Dojo."

And I'm not sure what ritualism you're talking about. As has been pointed out, bowing is at a minimum in most Judo schools and I don't remember seeing one where there was any "warm-up meditation" session, rei to a picture of Kano, or anything like that.

Maybe you're referring to wearing a judogi or learning Japanese names for crap.

I can assure you that there are analogs to this even in Western martial arts. In fencing you do the equivalent of a rei to between 3 and 7 times per match; i.e., I've participated in some (singlestick fencing) matches where I had to Salute my opponent, the Officiator, the audience, and each of the four Corner Judges. If you study WMA, then you learn names and techniques in a language (typically) other than English (Parry in Tierce? Passata Sotto? Ballestra?). And, as for uniforms, have you SEEN the "singlet" for Boxe Francaise or traditional fencing nickers?

Seriously, if you don't want to do Judo just say, "I don't want to do Judo."

As another note, I've noted that there are a lot of folks interested in Wrestling, BJJ, and Judo who are also interested in Sambo. Clubs that teach the former are likely to hold one or two interested in, or even teaching, the latter.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FarisadDin View Post
    Cheers, the wrestling classes near me are too expensive as is Judo plus I hate the ridiculous bowing and ritualism in japanese MA, Ill just see what I can do. Thanks for your suggestions all are welcome
    Training Judo and (Freestyle) Wrestling combined is the closests combination that looks like (Sport and Freestyle) SAMBO.

Train those two arts under the guidance of experienced instructors and you are closer in obtaining experience and 'rank' in SAMBO than by watching DVDs.

Also leglocks are 'All or Nothing' techniques: meaning that there's only a small wiggle space between "I don't feel the lock" and "pop goes the knee".
    Without any experience (in Judo and Wrestling), there's a good change that you and your friends will literally destroy (as in permanent) your knee joints and end your fight carreers before they even started.

So train Judo and Wrestling, become good (read: Shodan or equivalent), then follow some SAMBO seminars, attend a few times a SAMBO club (even if the drive is long) and maybe before you know YOU can open the first LEGIT SAMBO school where you live...
    or you can watch DVDs, **** up and be the limping guy talking about his glory days at a bar.
    The choice is yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gents, it's worth bearing in mind that the OP lives in New Zealand. Unfortunately, wrestling is no-where near as ubiquitous there as in the USA (no college-level competition that I'm aware of, very little in the way of high school club activity either) and even judo isn't as easily available as in many other parts of the world.

The NZ martial arts scene is quite diverse, but it's a small, isolated country and some things just simply aren't available there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 5:33pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Gents, it's worth bearing in mind that the OP lives in New Zealand. Unfortunately, wrestling is no-where near as ubiquitous there as in the USA (no college-level competition that I'm aware of, very little in the way of high school club activity either) and even judo isn't as easily available as in many other parts of the world.

The NZ martial arts scene is quite diverse, but it's a small, isolated country and some things just simply aren't available there.
    Really don't give a rats ass. I don't like the OP's attitude.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it seems like the OP deserves exactly the level of training he will get. if darwinism does its magic he will break his neck before producing offspring.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    FarisadDin[/B]]
    Gidday new here too Im 22 years old, in the last 3 years I have done Okinawan Karate I quit after the first lesson as the "Instructors" were more bullies than "Instructors" I have done Muay Thai but didnt think it would save me in a self defense situation. I tried BJJ but didnt like the focus on the ground Im convinced someone would boot me in the head. I did Ninjutsu for a bit that was good but then I moved house so was to far away to do it. Now I do Aikijujutsu and I love it! and thats me
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    FarisadDin[/B]]

Sorry DdlR, but he's got all the ingredients to make himself his own batch of SAMBOesque Martial Art (Sport, Combat and Freestyle version).
    Yet he prefers Ninjutsu, Aikijujutsu and 'learning' SAMBO from DVDs.

The NZ scene maybe small, but he says that these four clubs are in his vicinity. So call me skeptical but I'm starting to think that we have a disillusioned believer of teh d34dly here that wants something without working for it or we have a troll problem. (I'm still undecided which he is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo - my point was that living in NZ is roughly equivalent to living in a small/medium-size US city, if you imagine that city being on an island about 3.5 hours by plane from the nearest seriously inhabited land-mass. In martial arts terms, there is quite a range on offer, but if you don't like what's on offer for whatever reason, you can't necessarily just check out the next dojo/gym down the block, or wait for such-and-such famous instructor to pass through on a seminar tour.

Or actually, you can, but it's likely to be a really long wait.

I agree that the OP seems oddly picky but I put that down to his general inexperience.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he doesn't like how BJJ focuses on the ground, I'll bet he'll be disappointed with SAMBO too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was specifically asking about Combat Sambo, which is a bit more upright. Really, the first thing he should do is to find out whether what is/was probably the only actual Combat Sambo club in NZ is still operating.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He likes Ninjitsu and Aikijujitsu but hates the ritualism in Judo? the only ritualism he probably hates is actually being thrown and having to actually throw somebody.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12