Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    They don't fit in anywhere. They're invisible.
    Yes. Invisible. As was my original comment about Yeti trained in Ninjutsu and Sorcery -- fierce rivals of the UFO-piloting, Shaolin-trained Bigfoot.

All of which sounds more plausible than Hammersmith's BS story.

Style
    BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul Vunak trained Hammersmith.

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Paul Vunak trained Hammersmith.
    srsly?

['cause there's no sarc mark.]

And, if true... was this in a professional capacity?

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MU!!!!!!

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MU!!!!!!
    Mu?????

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Mu?????
    Mu!!!!!!!!!:5shocking

Style
    JJJ/JKD/Kali/Combatives
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some background research on this. None of this will positively prove Hammersmith wrong, it does provide some context. I just don't think it adds up.

The standard history of 1st SFOD-D is that Col. Beckwith saw a capability gap in the SOF community and felt the Army needed an American SAS -- more mature than young Rangers, more focused on Direct Action than SF, able to bridge the gap between CIA paramilitary action and traditional military roles. he met a great deal of obstruction from the military establishment. It wasn't until the rise of terrorism in the 1970's that the benefits of such a unit in the counter-terror role were recognized.

During the time period Hammersmith is describing, there also was MACV-SOG operating in Southeast Asia -- specifically formed to provide a black ops capability. And there was also the Son Tay Raid, which was executed by an Ad Hoc unit drawn from SF. SOG was officially disbanded in 1972, although there was a follow-on unit active until about 1975. Delta was stood up in 1977, although it wasn't operational until 1979. During the stand-up period, 5th SFG had a DA/CT unit known as "Blue Light."

So where in this mix is there room for a Combined Services? Why create Delta if Combined Services already exists? Why form ad hoc SOF formations for specific tasks if Combined Services already exists? Why disband Combined Services as a supertrooper secret squirrel unit and replace it with Delta (and later the whole Joint Special Operations Command structure)?

Hammersmith claims his unit predated Delta Force, and generously there's a 5 - 7 year period (1972 - 1979) when such a unit might've existed. He seems to imply he was active in this black ops outfit during the majority of his career. It was supposedly referred to as "The President's Army." I've scoured my extensive collection of SOF military history books and can't find any timely reference to either "Combined Services" or "The President's Army." (I know, it was way too secret to appear in a history book.)

Hammersmith also claims the unit was disbanded under Reagan because "no president should wield such power!" This is during the whole SOF build-up that gave birth to the modern Special Operations Command (SOCOM, a unified command) organizational structure. Somehow another secret squirrel unit, the Intelligence Support Activity (ISA), managed to survive this reorganization, and find brief references in the better history books.

I can't say it's impossible, but I don't buy it.

By way of comparison, I would like to point to Richard "Dick" Meadows, who actually lived the life Hammersmith is claiming during the same time period.
    Last edited by Styygens; 12/01/2010 5:24pm at .

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mu!!!!!!!!!:5shocking
    or Mu

Page 2 of 2 First 12