Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2010 12:58pm

Style: MMA/BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I've worked with professionals in any field they normally go out of their way to make their education and work experance clear. That's because if you have good credentials their ONE very easy to verify and TWO your credentials speak for themselves.

My point is you guys asked him since May of 2006 about his background and all the guy does is try to deflect/evade questions or give very general answers. This should be a huge red flag -example if anyone ever asked me about my credentials I would simply send then a copy of my resume I mean thats kinda of what their meant for.

I mean I've asked luke about his background on facebook awhile back and at first he gave me very general info like "I worked security and bodyguard" he then went on to name off a bunch of arts he was a master in. However, when I asked for specifics the guy got really defensive. Thats pretty much is a dead give away that he was full of it, at least it was for me.

He then went on to say that after he leaves the U.S he's going down to Brazil to trail their goverment agencies. (I thought this sounded odd since Brazil has extremely competent agencies like the National Public Security Force or BOPE) , so I asked him which branches he was going to train he then told me that he couldn't talk about it and tried to dance around the questions. So I finally got tired of it and told him he was full of **** he then blocked me.

I think he will be traveling to Brazil, but I don't think he's going there to train their agencies only because logic dictates why would they have to?

here is some info on BOPE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOPE
    BOPE, Brazilian Elite Police - The Fight - Video

Do these dudes look like their fucking around and need Luke to show them the ropes?
    Here is some info on brazil law enforcement
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Brazil
    Last edited by Cmoore48; 11/28/2010 1:08pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2010 1:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We know what red flags are we know what is BS. Still, in trying to stay away from gossipy conjecture and assumptions, we follow specific rules.

Der asked you to read the procedures please do. This area isn't for critiquing things we have done wrong or haven't accomplished in the past. If you have something to add instead of "Bullshit," "he sucks," and "you guys didn't get answers" please keep it to YMAS.

As der said, your opinion may be right but, we want to debunk specific claims.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2010 1:37pm

Style: MMA/BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I'll check it out .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 12:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears that Holloway's videos have been taken down again.

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 10:25pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Luke Holloway/RAW Combat YouTube Video Critiques

As discussed in this thread, Luke Holloway is an RBSD instructor whose claims of training and instruction do not seem to have any veracity. He claims to be "a professional operative", per his YouTube channel.

In this thread, we will critique the various videos he has posted on YouTube. Holloway has videos teaching knife offensive & defensive skills, Silat, and what he claims are counter-terrorist techniques & law enforcement training. As discussed in the previous thread, Holloway has not disclosed where & from whom he received his law enforcement & counter-terrorist training, though he claims "hand's on experience".

If any of our military or law enforcement members could peruse the videos he has posted and critique them, it would be appreciated.

If any of our posters have any experience with Silat, their critique of the appropriate videos would also be appreciated.

I will begin with a video filmed here in Maryland, last June. Despite what the video states, it was not filmed in Baltimore, but Kent Island, which is an hour's drive from Baltimore. It was not official Afghanistan Deployment Prep, rather, one member (off screen), is claimed to have been getting ready to deploy. This is typical of many other bullshit martial arts instructors we have seen who state they trained the Army Rangers or other unit, when in reality, they only trained individual members of the Armed Forces, and not actual units in an official capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxe-a7F11VA

1. First Set

In the technique demonstrated at 0:45, Holloway demonstrates redirecting the knife, striking to the head, and smashing the hand to disarm. As his attacker slices toward him, Holloway makes no effort to move his body out of the path of the blade, but rather utilizes a downward sweeping motion with his rear hand to redirect the knife arm. On his redirection, he has no control of the attacker's knife arm, and relies on the compliant mindset of the demonstrator to prevent being further attacked. He then throws a strike to the attacker's head, again, without control of the arm holding the blade. Following this, he then strikes to the knife hand to disarm his attacker.

We see in this set several fundamental flaws that anyone with any actual experience in edged weapons would consider beginner's mistakes. They are as follows:

• *Sole reliance on redirection of the knife arm, without out even cursory body motion to move off angle of the knife attack
      *No attempt made to control the knife arm or attack the knife arm
      *Attacking other parts of the opponent's body before securing or disarming the weapon
      *Disarming the weapon without securing the weapon

The opportunities for his attacker to kill Holloway in this set are numerous, and could be avoided by the most basic fundamentals of edged weapons defence. Without securing the weapon or immediately disarming it, Holloway is teaching his students how to get killed by a knife-weilding attacker.

Luke completes the set by demonstrating neck manipulations where he had no control of the attacker's body, and recommends kneeing the attacker in the top of his head to crush his spine.

Remember, this is being demonstrated to a member of the US Armed Forces about to deploy to Afghanistan.

2. Second Set

Beginning at the 1:00, Holloway demonstrates another set of techniques that once again ignore the most basic fundamentals of edged weapons and grappling.

At his attacker's thrust, Holloway takes a firm grip with both hands on his attacker's forearm. THIS IS GOOD. Holloway then releases one hand, leaving only one hand on his attacker's wrist. THIS IS BAD. His grip is with his thumb toward his own body. His attacker would not have to be trained in any sort of formal technique to simply twist out of that grip and impale Holloway before Holloway could even complete the rest of this set.

Holloway makes no attempt to secure the knife arm against his own body in any sort of clinch, nor does he attempt to jam the blade back toward his attacker. He relies on a complaint demonstration partner who will not attempt to stab him.

Holloway let go with his left hand to reach around his opponent's back to cup his chin and attempt another neck wrenching throw. At no point does he have control of the knife arm.

Releasing a firm grip for a weak one without securing the blade or disarming it is asking to get stabbed, repeatedly.

In his second demonstration of this set, he states two priorites:

1. Neutralize the attack.
    2. Disable the threat.

In the second demonstration, Holloway adds in a headbutt, but still does not secure the knife arm by clinching or disarm the blade, and trades a strong grip for a weak grip in order to complete his compliant throw.

The third time he demonstrates this set, he now utilizes the same scooping redirect as in the first set, and only secures a grip on his attacker's arm with one hand, though he does demonstrate using his chest to apply pressure to his attacker's elbow to apply a simple arm bar. Again, because of the weak, insecure grip, his attacker would simply have to turn his wrist outward & roll his elbow and Holloway would have a knife being drawn across his belly.

Holloway continues by once again demonstrating the neck wrenching throw.

He states he teaches this technique set because it can be remembered very easily.

Because Holloway has not revealed who his instructors were, I cannot surmise as to his actual training. If I had to guess, he learned these techniques by watching videos, which would account for the lack of understanding of the fundamentals of edged weapons.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 11/30/2010 10:28pm at .

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 10:29pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luke Holloway video critique thread here.

I would appreciate input from any of our law enforcement, military, and edged weapons trained members.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 10:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Police Street Fighting: Baton vs Knife

A few thoughts:

1. Check his lower arms: Skinny, without visible scars. No visible bruises.

2. His equipment: A wild collection of tools from different sets. Looking very new, also.

3. His body complexion. Big, but not essentially muscular. Also, he is very, very young, probably younger than me.

4. The knife defense technique he shows is a Wing Chun beginners technique.

5. The baton defense technique contains moments where he crosses his arms while holding the stick. Which under pressure twists his wrists. Also, this is a technique I came to know while practicing Wing Chun.

My guess: Small town ex-bouncer silat instructor, who has learned WC "street defense" from the videos sold by the EWTO.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 12:52pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the above video at 1:39, he says we can take his word or not based on his experience & qualifications.

So what experience & qualifications does he have?

He contrasts his technique, which attacks an outstretched empty hand, and then criticizes those who deal with the opposite hand containing the knife.

He talks about "neutralizing the attack & eliminating the threat" as being important in law enforcement and combatives, but again, this is not reflected in the techniques he's teaching.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 12/01/2010 1:03pm at .

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing that comes out to me with this guy was already stated, emphatically, by Der. There is little to no wrist control or any attempt to get the hell out of the way of the blade. That is one of the first things we learn in TKD for knife defence. Deflect and move out of the path of the blade and MAINTAIN wrist control. That is in a TKD class people, not someone who is supposed to be training "elite armed forces"
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "..cut his throat or Adam's apple so he can't scream.."
    lol, as if he was silent up until then...

I have 3 yrs Escrime, a smattering of Silat, 15 + yrs Kung Fu and hold two RBSD certs.
    That video was pretty scary (in a real bad way) imo.

I agree with all of the aforementioned criticisms.
    The lack of control over the weapon is the most glaring and worrisome aspect imo.
    I'd like to see those techs tried with some resistance.
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast