Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 5:30pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I can tell you one thing. All other silliness aside, I can absolutely guarantee that Holloway's use of the Rising Sun Badge as his logo is illegal in Australia, except in the extremely unlikely case that he has recieved permission from the Army to use it that way.

Under section 83 of the Defence Act 1903, permission must be obtained from the Minister of Defence or delegate to use or wear a Defence Emblem (includes an emblem Defence Force or an arm of the Defence Force, a badge, a regimental or other similar distinctive mark, an armlet or an accoutrement), fly or display a Defence Flag (includes flag of the Defence Force or an arm of the Defence Force, Ensign or a Standard).
    http://www.defence.gov.au/footer/contacts.htm

http://www.army.gov.au/Rising_Sun_Badge.asp

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 7:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy is a 20 something nobody.

He has absolutely no line experience as an employed LEO or Military, That should tell you exactly what you need to know about his credibility, regardless of what he puts out into the public domain.

Nothing which Holloway has done (or is doing), can be done or achieved by anyone with a little time and a chunk of $$ to pay for the courses, that does not make him special or overtly talented (or better than others) in any way.

You have to ask yourself who you'd want teaching you the skills (supposedly claimed by Holloway).. Someone with direct experience of Law Enforcement, someone who has served time on the streets and is bone-fide..

Someone who has served in the Military, has direct experience of warfare either conventional or Spec-Ops and has learned and developed their craft and knowledge through actual time served...

Or..

A Twenty something internet nerd with around ten years (claimed) of work as a civilian "operator". A tit who is seen on YouTube teaching his unique brand of tactical fire arms training using fucking AIRSOFT toys, someone who has obviously watched a Magpul Dynamic handgun or carbine DVD and has (poorly) copied those drills and skills.

Your choice.. Make it one based on common sense.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 8:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to add.

There's not much difference between Luke Holloway, Ralph Severe and Jason Stork, in the way they utilise the internet to portray themselves simply because they lack what it actually takes to be what they want to be.

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now now, I don't think it's fair to point fingers just because he is twenty something. I'm in my late twenties myself and been training martial arts since I was a child. So you can still clock up a decade or two of martial art experience. Here in Thailand you can even enter military academy instead of regular school. Saying that I really doubt this is the case with Luke Holloway.

So far he does not look convincing. I been throwing his name around a bit here in Thailand. So far nothing, but it's too hard to get any real investigation done as I have absolutely no information of where about in the country and who with did he claim he had dealing with. He has to be exceptional indeed to get a non advisor role as a foreigner in Thailand. And he does not look exceptional.

Just to note one extra oddity. Thailand doesn't really have any particular military relation with Australia, so it seem strange to me that they would even take any interest in these so call special Australian direct combat or whatever it is that he calls it. If it's Brit, French, US or Japanese then it's more plausible.

Regardless of how good he may not may not be, one thing that is certain for Luke now is that he started his own style without good support and recognition from the martial arts circle. It says a lot about his arrogance, his over all attitude and outlook confirms it. It may just be my opinion but I have never found arrogant people ever make great martial artists. I can only imagine that kind of attitude would be a liability in firearm conflict.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 7:05am

Style: MMA/BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I guess this statement pretty much settles the debate over Luke's grandiose claims of training Special forces in Brazil.

"Believe it or not I am actually a very organized person. I am pretty disappointed the way things turned out today, due to a **** up on the end of the Brazilian Embassy and a few locals, I have been denied entry to Brazil. I had asked for things t be sorted out differently but anyways, I'll be heading back to Toronto in a few hours...
    I would seriously rather a kick in the fucking balls right now! Either way, think I'll go hang out in LA and shoot some ****! :-)"

9/1/11 4:19pm Facebook

Look if luke was going there to train any branch of the brazilian goverment then he wouldn't have been denied entrance into the country.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:52am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noccy View Post
    Now now, I don't think it's fair to point fingers just because he is twenty something.
    You miss my point in this.

I don't really give a rats-ass about his martial arts bullshit but.. a TWENTY Something individual with no formal military or LEO background would not be looked upon by Governmental agencies (Police or Military) as a credible source of information. PERIOD

If my organisation - for which I'm very well qualified within and have direct experience of modern warfare etc etc, were to bring someone like Holloway to teach us his supposed knowledge of tactical bullshit, he'd last about as long as it took him to introduce himself.

He talks a good talk to people who don't know any better, but he's got **** all by way of the boots to carry him in the actual walk.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 6:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained under Luke in Queensland until about 5 years years ago. I spent about 3 years at his 'school' in Hervey Bay.

I can try and answer some queries about his martial arts background at that time.

I can also provide some information on his military/spec op training at that time.

I know bugger all about what he has been up to since I left his school, though I had heard from other students (who also left) that he had moved over to Japan.

I have no real animosity toward the guy, but I understand if people are suspicious of the intent of any information I can provide, as we did not part company on the best of terms.

Regarding his MA background:

-TKD as a kid. I believe his father has a high ranking. Korean based school with dojo (franchises?) over southern Queensland. Could probably find the name if I bothered to look.

-Tai Chi also. I can try and find the details of the organisation, but it is a fairly large group in the area. Catered to all types, but the focus was more on well-being than any sort of combative or defensive Tai-jijuan.

-He spent a lot of time 'training' with foreign students and immegrants to Australia. Part of his language studies, I believe. Also some time in various seminars and dojo's while traveling in Japan after he finished high school.

-He trained under a very knowledgable hobbyist for a while. This guys had being doing martial arts training for over 30 years or so. Ranging from studying under a Dutch immegrant that had spent a lot of time with tribal west Papuan groups during WW2 (Kun dao silat?), to some shady people implicated in the Fitzgerald Inquiry (police corruption inquiry in Australia) and heroin trafficking. Tong Long I think. I'm not trying to make this guy out to be a badass, but he certainly knew some dangerous people. He also had varying degrees experience with a number of other styles, from Shotokan to Wing Tsun. His primary love was for Chinese internal styles though.

Nearly every week he would get together with instructors from other schools in the area to trade war stories and play around with different moves and techniques. From what i know, Luke 'trained' under these guys for a while before starting up his own school.

-In the time I spent at his school, It was the only school that he was personally running. He had made various attempt to set up branches in other parts of the state, but they amounted to him handing the class over to a friend/student of his in the area and then checking in on them occasionally.

-He spent a lot of time going to seminars. Mainly to grab certificates and to get his photo taken with the instructor. The few that immediately come to mind are 'Chai' Surachai Sirasute, Dan Inosanto (refused to have his photo taken with Luke) and Master Siow of the Kuan yee Lion Dance troupe (not martial arts, I know).

After the Seminar with Master Siow, Luke became Lion Dance crazy. Part of the reason I left the school. All lion dance, all the time. Everything became focused on getting out and establishing Kuan Yee in the area. Making money to buys Lions, instruments and to fund training. Most of the revenues went into funding his lifestyle (not a complaint, people got to pay rent, but slightly dishonest). His school disintegrated some time after I left, which apparently prompted his move to Japan.

Military/Operative training:

Non existant at the time I knew him. He did have experience working as a bouncer, also as a spotter with some Debt Collectors. He made noises about starting his own security company.

Hated the local Army Reserves (infanty) because of some run-ins with some of the guys there. I got the impression he tried to join, but I can't verify that.

I think his father was in the police force and he knew some former Federal police from working security. He tried the entrance exams for the feds but there was some altercation during one of the physical tests. A fully clothed swim. One of the Officers made a joke about sharks and Luke refused to get in the water and thus failed to qualify.

One of his friends, a Korean expatriate, went to the Phillipines to work for a big security company as an armed guard/bodyguard. Luke kept in touch with him.

That is about all I can bother to write about the guy. Glad I did though, as I had almost forgotten my reasons for leaving and the petty stuff that built up over time.

As an instructor, he is pretty good. He is a charismatic and intelligent man. He is very skilled at explaining things. Some of the self defence stuff he taught wass questionable, but I have had worse techniques shown to me at more orthodox schools. By and large, most of the stuff I learned from him was legitimate and effective.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer if I bother checking back here. Keep in mind that I know nothing about what he has done in the last few years.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 10:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Almost all of what you provided was addressed in another thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 11:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. Zhen Dao What the...

I remember Luke bitching about that thread and telling everyone not to respond to it.

Regarding Lukes CMA lineage, at the time I was paying for lessons, he had no CMA lineage (I did not know this at the time).

The Hobbyist I was talking about, I'll call him Phil:

Phil Spent a few years studying at one of Wee Ki Jin's schools in Brisbane. I'm not sure if he studied under him directly or not. Supposedly the lineage was Wee Ki Jin>Huang Shen>Chen Man Ching.

Phil also spent some time studying Tong Long with one of the Sue brothers at their schools in Brisbane. I'm not sure if was Malcolm or Henry. Complicated lineage. They both studied under Nat Yuen but are affiliated with Vietnam and Hong Kong somehow.

I don't know much about the Dutch guy that Phil studied Silat with.

Phil is a decent guy. While he was happy to show Luke a few moves, he was happy to show anyone that had an interest. He was honestly shocked when he found out about the things Luke was doing and the claims he was making. As far as he was concerned, Luke could say what he liked about himself, but Phil did not want his name brought into anything.

Phil made an effort to get in touch with many of Lukes former student's after Luke left the country. Basically to fix some of the mistakes he had made in training and philosophy and the like. No charge, but as it was conducted in his back yard, I kind of felt obliged to bring a six-pack of beer for him.

Apparently Luke had been teaching knife fighting after running though some training with Phil for a few months, so most of the stuff Phil was teaching was focused on mobility and evasion.

In any case, I just wanted to add a bit of perspective before i forgot about this mess. Luke has certainly trained with some well educated people, but at the time I knew him, that training was limited. So far as I know, Luke has no affiliation with any of Phil's instructors or contacts.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 11:43am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thanks again for your input, here's where we're at.

An informal write-up is underway regarding Holloway and his claims. When complete this write-up will be hosted within this site's martial arts wiki encyclopedia and be available for anyone to read.

Whilst you've explained your relationship to Holloway and, indicated that you may have parted company on less than favorable terms, what you haven't explained is your motive for being willing to comment here in this thread.

You'll have to forgive me for being suspicious, but that's just the way I roll here.

So, do you have any kind of grudge or dissatisfaction with Holloway ? I'd rather you be up front and admit that if it's the case, no one here will judge you if that's the situation, we'd just rather have a fully transparent discussion.

~Ella Wheeler
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast