Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 11:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    About 4 years ago I had my dentist make a custom mouthguard. It's for grappling only because it's an upper mouthpiece. It costs me $80, although I've heard of some dentists charging over $200 for the same mouthguard.

It's nice because I can talk with it in my mouth. Also, because it was molded to my teeth when it was made, it has never slipped out of place during sparring.
    Same story here, except my dentist only charged $40. It covers the top teeth and is one color green. It is 200% better than the boil and bite mouthguards. I also got the teeth cast they used, so I can ship it to other custom mouthguard makers if I ever want to get cooler colors or put some dumb "stylin" message on it, which I doubt will happen.

Check with your dentist, or call a few in your local area.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 12:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What JnP said is the way to go. More as a kickboxer than as a grappler.

Why? If your mouthpiece is bad (too wide), chances are that it will move in your mouth, and that you won't able to adjust it between getting hit.

This can lead to all sorts of injuries; most commonly, you might just bite your tongue, but meaner stuff is also possible.

Better a 100 $ for a quality mouth piece than 2000 $ for prosthetic teeth.

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one of those would be nice to try, more comfortable anyways, and when you spend a good bit of time wearing your mouthpiece it might as well be comfortable. Maybe a good x-mas present...

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 6:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shock doctor gelmax mouthguard.

Not too bulky, but thick enough to cushion your jaw. If you spar (striking) hard on a regular basis you will like it.

But if you don't spar full contact then you don't really need anything more than a cheap ass generic one.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/22/2010 8:27pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a pretty thick dentist made mouth guard. It's probably largely superstition but i believe it makes me harder to rock/knock out. The only time I've been concussed in sparring was when i was using one of the little, cheap ones. I've also been elbowed in the teeth and not lost any so its a good return on investment.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 3:08pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Shock doctor gelmax mouthguard.

Not too bulky, but thick enough to cushion your jaw. If you spar (striking) hard on a regular basis you will like it.

But if you don't spar full contact then you don't really need anything more than a cheap ass generic one.
    Shock Docton Gelmax is awesome. A black channel filled with blue gel that molds very snugly to your teeth. Cost about $25 at the local sporting goods store. Fits great, doesn't pop out, and it's all the protection I need for boxing or grappling.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2011 11:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do any of you guys have crowned front teeth? I cut mine half off when I tripped on a treadmill as a kid and am trying to find the best mouthpiece to prevent those many thousands of dollars in dental work from going to waste. So I was hoping you guys might have an idea if there are any specialized mouthpieces from the fore-mentioned companies that might cater to this issue(it doesn't seem like it'd be that uncommon).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 12:09am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDo View Post
    Do any of you guys have crowned front teeth? I cut mine half off when I tripped on a treadmill as a kid and am trying to find the best mouthpiece to prevent those many thousands of dollars in dental work from going to waste. So I was hoping you guys might have an idea if there are any specialized mouthpieces from the fore-mentioned companies that might cater to this issue(it doesn't seem like it'd be that uncommon).
    I broke my front two teeth skateboarding as a kid, got pins and bond-o and porcelain veneers in there now; I've used a custom dentist made mouth guard for years, I highly recommend it, fits great, easy to breath and talk.

Regardless of which way you go I think checking with a dentist would be a good move.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 12:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were there any special features to try and direct the force of incoming blows away from the front teeth? I am definitely going to talk to both my dentist and my boxing coach regarding this. My understanding of the process is that you get a mold done(had braces so done this before) and then send that mold to the respective company. Is there some "directly from the dentist" mouthpiece or is my understanding of the process correct? My chances of getting laid and chewing thank you for your input.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2011 12:40am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    schock doctor all the way,
    good brand and serious about their product even giving up to 10,000 in case of dental damage
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast