Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2010 3:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: studying jujustu/gi/nogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

everyone's favorite mouth piece brand?

I'm looking for a good mouth piece, anyone have any particular brands / designs they can recommend?

Also I was wondering about leaving that thing in my mouth during warmups and training, figure I might as well get acquainted with it. Is this a dump idea?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2010 3:58pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went and got a cheap $6 Everlast mouthguard at the sporting goods store. Before that I had a $2 generic thing I got at an even cheaper store. In my opinion, it doesn't matter what brand as long as it fits.

You also don't need your mouthguard in your mouth for anything besides sparring. If you fit it correctly, you won't have any problems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2010 6:04pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've owned a variety of mouthguards. From the cheap everlast type already mentioned through to the dentist made-to-measure-for-my-mouth type with a couple of in between types.

My personal preference are the "Shock Doctor" brand. The higher end ones are quite good i feel. They fit well,they align my teeth/jaw and seem to be designed intelligently and they are a good mid range affordability w/o spending a bunch at the dentist.

My current one is a shock doctor "elite" (i think its the "elite"). It has a top and bottom track to accomodate top and bottom sets of teeth, built into the one mouthguard, with breathe holes in the centre front. It fits well (its one of the boil and press fit types) and doesn't fall out if i'm talkin to my sparring partner. It was comfortable from the start w/o wearing on my gum and am happy to recommend it.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    11/26/2010 6:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a custom Under Armor Performance mouth guard. It was expensive as hell, but does not restrict breathing and the "bite pads" do help with air flow and clenching. I wear it during drilling and free rolling.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/accessories

Previous guard was a Shock Doctor Power Gel Ultra. For a boil-and-bite, it was small/low-profile and had bite pads which helped with breathing a little bit.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/p...outhguard.aspx

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing & Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go with a mouthguard that has tracks for the bottom teeth. Having just the top teeth covered is fine and I actually broke a tooth in sparring using one with the top and bottom tracks.

How it happened was I was gassed and breathing with my mouth open (my own fault) and instead of gripping my top teeth like a single track mouthguard would, it was resting on my bottom teeth. I guess this gave it some room to move around. So I got hit with the top track only half covering my teeth and the guard moved and broke my tooth.

Hope that made sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 4:13pm

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like the Badboy mouthguard. Works really well. As far as sparring, if you're going full force, it would be smart to wear a mouth guard. Other than that, when you wear it is up to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 7:14pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFist View Post
    Don't go with a mouthguard that has tracks for the bottom teeth. Having just the top teeth covered is fine and I actually broke a tooth in sparring using one with the top and bottom tracks.

How it happened was I was gassed and breathing with my mouth open (my own fault) and instead of gripping my top teeth like a single track mouthguard would, it was resting on my bottom teeth. I guess this gave it some room to move around. So I got hit with the top track only half covering my teeth and the guard moved and broke my tooth.

Hope that made sense.
    Hi,to my way of looking at it?? the broken tooth was a result of a poorly fitted mouthguard. The fact it had a bottom track is beside the point. If you wore a guard that only had top track and it came away from the teeth like you described you'd end up with the same issue for the same reason. The top/bottom combo guard i have has only a small track for the bottom teeth and the top track is where all the teeth grip and support is. My mouthguard never! accidentally comes away from my top teeth and can be difficult to pull away from my teeth because it grips so well.

just sayin is all.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 8:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFist View Post

Hope that made sense.
    If you're using a double mouthguard with a good breathing channel you'll have no reason to open your mouth to breath and the above won't happen to you. I've been using Brainpad double mouthguards since 1998ish when they were called WIPPS.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 4:50am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $10 shockdoctor will be enough for you. There's like maybe 2% of this board that needs anything higher end than that.

It's like people who think getting a BMW will somehow make them a better driver.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 9:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About 4 years ago I had my dentist make a custom mouthguard. It's for grappling only because it's an upper mouthpiece. It costs me $80, although I've heard of some dentists charging over $200 for the same mouthguard.

It's nice because I can talk with it in my mouth. Also, because it was molded to my teeth when it was made, it has never slipped out of place during sparring.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast