Posted On:
    11/22/2010 6:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Iran "The Blade" Barkley: Broke, Homeless, Living In Motel

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...fz6lbxUKTXNavM

This just made me sad.

Guy lost $5 million + dollars, lost his place to live and is nearly 50, training at Gleason's for a possible comeback.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's sad, but I'll bet he could make decent money as a trainer if he negotiated well at a big name gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poor fellow. He seemed to have such a bright future in the late 80s.
    Hoping life turns out better for him soon.

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poor guy.

Hinted at but left unexamined—is Barkley experiencing some cognitive problems? In the lede he doesn't know where his hotel is, but the article doesn't explore what seems to be a problem. I wonder if it's too many blows to the head, or drug abuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 8:56pm

Style: EBMAS\52 Blocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow,I've probably passed him by\given him change on the train. This is really sad....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is pretty depressing...I wonder what the backstory is.
    Hopefully, he doesn't have to suffer through some humiliating comeback attempt and he can get work as a trainer or even just working at a gym somewhere.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 10:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at 50, he shouldn't be staging a comeback. He's no Foreman at age 40ish and he's waged in some hard wars in his younger career. I don't know if he has the type of personality to be a trainer, I mean I hope he does for his sake, but not every good fighter can train.

He was sometimes referred to as a 'lazy' fighter who never fully reached his potential, so that is a strike against him becoming a legitimate fight trainer. Seems like the guys whose love for the sport and heart outweigh their potential make the best trainers.

Maybe somewhere like at LA Boxing he could teach some cardioboxing.

Posted On:
    11/23/2010 11:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    at 50, he shouldn't be staging a comeback. He's no Foreman at age 40ish and he's waged in some hard wars in his younger career. I don't know if he has the type of personality to be a trainer, I mean I hope he does for his sake, but not every good fighter can train.

He was sometimes referred to as a 'lazy' fighter who never fully reached his potential, so that is a strike against him becoming a legitimate fight trainer. Seems like the guys whose love for the sport and heart outweigh their potential make the best trainers.

Maybe somewhere like at LA Boxing he could teach some cardioboxing.
    Blimey.

Thanks for the post. It's an all too common story in boxing. Ike Williams being robbed by Blinky Palermo of two complete purses in Title Defences no less. He got billed for Income Tax.........

By coincidence I finished reading of Teddy Baldock World Bantam Claimant in early 20th C. who earned a relative fortune and his Dad banked it for him. Except Dad was a Gambler. Teddy died penniless but accepting of his lot. Something many fighters appear to do. Fatalism?

I thought Barkely was Blind in one eye and the photo suggests it's his Left Eye. He should never be allowed back into the ring but hopefully could transition to Trainer/Fitness instructor/Corner Man. That said, he also seems somewhat mentally dishevelled so may need regular assistance.

It would be sad indeed if his courage replicated Jerry Quarry - unable to shave etc.

Fingers crossed for him.