Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2010 11:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see where I contradicted myself yes. I was just implicating that instead of full contact disappearing, that it would be good if light contact became more commonplace as an outlet for fighters that wanted reduce the risk of concussions and serious injury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2010 12:02am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by George-Jitsu View Post
    I see where I contradicted myself yes. I was just implicating that instead of full contact disappearing, that it would be good if light contact became more commonplace as an outlet for fighters that wanted reduce the risk of concussions and serious injury.

and there is. these were noted throughout the thread by various members:

Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    I competed in sport Ju Jitsu. Even with fairly limited striking, the grappling is still good
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatheight View Post
    Here in Sydney there are pankration comps that are basically MMA but with no head strikes allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    There is a couple of varieties of this around already. Two of which are covered by the FILA umbrella. Pankration, and Combat Grappling.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    This is light contact kick boxing

the conversation then progressed to the definition of 'light' contact. which appears to be quite murky waters depending on sources or even members experience or general opinion.

my point being your question was answered. yes light contact mma does exist and yes it is valid. it exists in many forms and isnt limited to fightingin a cage with 18oz gloves and head gear.

it all really lies on what you class or preference is towards 'light' contact.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/24/2010 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A valid point, but martial artists need a competitive outlet.
    Disagree.

As for your comment regarding differnet sparring partners, that's why you can train at different schools. Hell, we have throwdowns for this very reason.

If you want light contact, spar. If you want full contact, compete. Don't train to turn competition into sparring. That's borring.

Edit: Also, my post was addressing your claim that competition needed to be light so people could "learn restraint".

You learn the restraint from sparring, not from competing. With competition, you learn how to perform under pressure. There is no dichtomoy here, where you can ONLY spar or ONLY compete.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    11/24/2010 3:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in agreement with Emevas.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 7:49pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    But is there anything in those rules that says they can't hit as hard as they want?
    It's detailed in the level of control a strike has.
    It's going to be blatantly obvious to the referee whether or not the fighters are in full control of their strikes. (hitting as hard as you can is by neccessity a haymaker, or more accurately a strike that is out of control. (aimed, not guided)
    Last edited by Colin; 3/15/2011 7:51pm at . Reason: I'm just using this awesome little text box to say hi to Emevas and merry fucking christmas for the last 6 years.

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 8:14pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who said anything about forms or kata? I'm not suggesting that full contact disappear. People are going to do whatever they want. I'm just suggesting that light contact might be a better safer alternative being just as good of an indication of skill as full contact.
    It is just hard to achieve. If you could program into fighters to only use 30% you would be ok. If you ge one fighter who really wants to win and bangs and another fighter who really wants to win and starts pretending the shots are coming at him 100% it becomes a really messy thing to judge.

I did a semi contact interclub once. And it was just constantly being pulled up for getting competetive. You would have to almost develop a different strategy than you would fighting.

On the other side limiting moves head shots on the ground or stand up throws etc. wearing extra padding.(Shinguards boxing gloves or even the shoot boxing hybrids) and having really tight ref control is a better way of managing two fighters who really want to win the thing.
    Edit.
    And short rounds.

Restraint is made by not breaking the rules and stopping when you are told to by the ref.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456