Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 10:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Well it isn't exactly but it is more grapple heavy meaning that people don't tend to stand and bang nor wind up for power shots so you take a couple of shots then get thrown. I though there where no head punches but looks like I saw a few of them in the video. Its just the closest thing to anything remotely light contact NHB I have seen.
    But is it the rules making it grapple heavy or just the fact that it's a UFCer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Creighton
    Against a bunch of hobbyists so he could probably win by whatever the hell he wants to.

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 10:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    That doesn't make it light contact because there is no wind up.
    Define what you mean because, that video is no where near light contact in any regard.
    Fair enough I am comparing it to the "light contact" kick boxing
    YouTube - Kick Boxing Light Contact - Finale Fimminile Coppa Italia 2009

http://www.garagetv.be/video-galerij...tial_Arts.aspx

YouTube - Light contact kickboxing

to my uneducated perspective it looked no worse for the reasons I mentioned.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 10:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess by validity, I'm wondering if any of you think that light contact MMA might be a just as good if not better alternative to full contact MMA.
    Last edited by George-Jitsu; 11/21/2010 11:01pm at .

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    But is it the rules making it grapple heavy or just the fact that it's a UFCer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Creighton
    Against a bunch of hobbyists so he could probably win by whatever the hell he wants to.
    Good question. Ju-Jitsu International Federation rules http://www.jjifweb.com/html/sub_comp.html
    Section 10: Course of the match
    a. The contestants start facing one another in the middle of the competition area
    approximately two meters apart. The contestant with the red belt stays on the
    MR's right side. At the sign of the MR the competitors will make a standing bow
    rerees and then to each other.
    b. After the MR announced "Hajime", the match starts in Part 1.
    c. As soon as there is contact between the competitors by holding the opponent,
    part 2 has begun. Punches, strikes and kicks are not longer allowed except when
    they are performed simultaneous with the initial grip.
    d. As soon as one of the contestants has both knees, sitting or laying on the floor
    the match continues in Part 3.
    e. The contestant can change between the different parts, but they must be active in all parts.
    f. In Part 1, if a contestant only rushes towards the opponent without making a
    technical action or if he is in dangerous for himself ("Mubobi"), a technical penalty
    will be given and the match will continue in part 1.
    g. The contestants are allowed to remain in the warning area but only for maximum 5 seconds.
    h. Throws must start in the competition area. The opponent may be thrown to the
    warning or safety area, provided the throw presents no injury risk for the opponent.
    i. At the end of the match, the MR announces the winner and orders the standing bow first to each other,
    than to the referees, which are standing on one line in the fighting area opposite to the table referees.

edited to add points
    Section 12: Points
    Scores must be marked by the majority of the referees, therefore at least two referees.
    If the referees give a score different from each other, the intermediate score prevails.
    If one of the referees doesn't see an action, the lower of the two remaining scores prevails.
    a. The following points can be given in Part 1:
    (Punches, strikes and kicks must be applied with Hikite / Hikiashi, in good balance and control)
    1. An unblocked punch, strike or kick (Ippon, 2 points)
    2. A partly blocked punch, strike or kick (Wazaari, 1 point)
    b. The following points can be given in Part 2:
    (Throws, take downs, locks and strangulations)
    1. Strangulations and locks in case the contestant can't
    tap by himself and the MR must stop the fight by announcing "Matte". (Ippon, 2 points)
    2. Strangulations and locks with tapping (Ippon, 2 points)
    3. A perfect throw or take-down (Ippon, 2 points)
    4. A not perfect throw or take-down (Wazaari, 1 point)
    c. The following points can be given in Part 3:
    (Floor techniques, locks and strangulations)
    1. Strangulations and locks in case the contestant
    can't clap by himself and the MR must stop the fight by announcing "Matte". (Ippon, 3 points)
    2. Osae-komi, Strangulations and locks with tapping (Ippon, 3 points)
    3. An efficient control announced as "Osae-komi" during 15 seconds.(4) (Ippon, 2 points)
    4. An efficient control announced as "Osae-komi" during 10 seconds. (Wazaari, 1 point)

d. An efficient control started within the fighting time is allowed to continue until termination
    (even after expiry of the fighting time). If the control is broken before the 15 seconds the MR shall
    announce "Toketa".
    so all and all I would say the stricking points line up with light contact. The throw heavy nature of it is also rules driven
    Last edited by goodlun; 11/21/2010 11:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by George-Jitsu View Post
    I guess by validity, I'm wondering if any of you think that light contact MMA might be a just as good if not better alternative to full contact MMA.

no, because then it becomes point fighting in a cage. and that is not cool.

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good how, for what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Good question. Ju-Jitsu International Federation rules http://www.jjifweb.com/html/sub_comp.html
    Section 10: Course of the match
    a. The contestants start facing one another in the middle of the competition area
    ap
    blah blah blah
    Please highlight the relevant bits.

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    no, because then it becomes point fighting in a cage. and that is not cool.
    To be fair light contact /= point fighting
    Light contact as defined by the kick boxing entry on wiki
    Light Contact
    Competition in Light Contact kickboxing should be executed as its name implies, with well-controlled techniques. In light contact competitors fight continuously until the central referee commands STOP or BREAK. They use techniques from full contact, but these techniques must be well controlled when they land on legal targets. Equal emphasis must be placed on both punching and kicking techniques. Light contact has been created as an intermediate stage between semi and full contact kickboxing. It is carried out with running time. The central referee doesn't judge the fighters, but only makes sure they respect the rules. The fight could be held in a tatami or in a ring.
    I suppose it could work on an amateur level maybe

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Please highlight the relevant bits.
    This is what makes it throw heavy
    c. As soon as there is contact between the competitors by holding the opponent,
    part 2 has begun. Punches, strikes and kicks are not longer allowed except when
    they are performed simultaneous with the initial grip.

These points make me believe that its light contact

a. The following points can be given in Part 1:
    (Punches, strikes and kicks must be applied with Hikite / Hikiashi, in good balance and control)
    1. An unblocked punch, strike or kick (Ippon, 2 points)
    2. A partly blocked punch, strike or kick (Wazaari, 1 point)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:24pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a couple of varieties of this around already. Two of which are covered by the FILA umbrella. Pankration, and Combat Grappling. Both seem to have their place and personally would like to participate in both before droppin into Full Contact MMA competition.

I feel the validity is there in a similar way that Kickboxing has its various levels of competition,i.e Novice,Amateur,Pro. Each of which bring newer/higher/harder levels of competition. The "lighter" contact MMA allows those who don't/can't train hard out for full contact MMA to gain a feel/taste of what MMA could be.

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But is there anything in those rules that says they can't hit as hard as they want?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast