Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 1:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chinese MMA Thing

I posted here before about a Kungfu/MMA documentary. The guy who made it just posted this to his blog:

http://martialartsrainbowmagic.blogs...xperiment.html

I'm not sure what I think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlEkv...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltxpJ...eature=related

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it sounds good in principle, and i think more people in CMA need to think this way, but i'll wait to see the results.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 2:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beat me to it as that was exactly what I thought. It sounds good on paper, but how many time have we heard, watched, or experienced this just to be disappointed later?

OP, you really need to add more content to your posts.

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 4:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are right, I should contribute more instead of just posting links. I don't do much forum stuff, and I'm from SC so I hope you'll forgive me.

My thoughts on this are essentially that if Kungfu is good for MMA it's certainly not going to be better than what we already have. At best, just different. However I'm fascinated by Asian culture and was on the verge of going there anyway.

I think the teacher looks cool, but I can't really figure out what his deal is. I've never seen anybody dress like that and I wonder why he chooses to put such a strange persona on.

The only advantage I can see is that working out all day for three months with regular sparring is going to be beneficial no matter what. But I guess I could do that in the USA just as well.

Like you said though, it's got to be a good thing for TMA people to atleast admit there is no real reason why they shouldn't be able to fight in MMA. So maybe at least it will cut down on TMA whineing about how their skillz are too deadly. That would be nice!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    Like you said though, it's got to be a good thing for TMA people to atleast admit there is no real reason why they shouldn't be able to fight in MMA. So maybe at least it will cut down on TMA whineing about how their skillz are too deadly. That would be nice!
    Plenty of people who study TMA also compete in MMA competitions. Karate and Judo are both TMAs, and there are CMAers on this very forum who have competed as well. Yes it's a very good thing, prior to finding Bullshido I had a tough time finding good TMA/CMA material to show my MMA friends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 9:32pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm not so sure about anyone having to go to China to get the super deadly kungfu fighting skills, but... if I could get a full scholarship, I'd go. It seems that they could benefit from some decent diet and strength training, but that's just based on the vids and photos.

Will they produce some decent fighters? If they compete and refine their skills, quite possibly. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration right now.

I think they'd have more luck in producing decent fighters if the teachers just moved to NY (or some other large American city) and just opened up shop. They find themselves a young Mike Tyson, and they're in the money.

Just my take on it, though.

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 10:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    I think they'd have more luck in producing decent fighters if the teachers just moved to NY (or some other large American city) and just opened up shop. They find themselves a young Mike Tyson, and they're in the money.
    not in my experience. it's pretty tough finding someone who wants to fight in nyc who will come train in kung fu, when there are options like the wat and marcello garcia's gym here. not saying that it's impossible, but i had a hell of a time trying to put a fight team together and at one point i had a very good sanda coach from china in house (albeit briefly.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:59pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know. When I was coming up, we used to all throw down because that's the sifu we had. Albeit, most of that was in house, or with people outside the school altogether, but... we didn't fear sparring. I know your school has a fight team, right? And, let's not forget our brothers in Staten Island. I think it's very possible to make a killing, if you don't market it as forms=fighting. Toss out the forms and have dudes hitting pads and sparring and get them into tournaments as soon as possible, and things shouldn't be so bad. I'm talking about having them up and running in 6 months.

With all that said, I'm not sure that sifu in question is all that awesome. Given the video I've seen, though, it's hard to make a real call, but I'd say there's just as good instruction going on stateside.

Now, if one HAD to get a fight team together and do it through forms as "traditional training" methods, there's only a special kind of person that's going to be up for that, and I'm sure it will be hard to find that person, as we call them "dinosaurs" in my circle.

So there is a way to get guys to join a kungfu fight team, but asking a bunch of kids that like to fight to do some forms for any given length of time better have some real applicable upside in their sparring. I know I wouldn't do forms for ****, if I wasn't able to use them (somewhat) in sparring.

But, yeah... I can see a problem with someone coming over and trying to get a fight team , but telling the fighters that they have to do forms every morning---not going to happen anywhere IMO.

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I think the teacher looks cool, but I can't really figure out what his deal is. I've never seen anybody dress like that and I wonder why he chooses to put such a strange persona on.
    What's so strange about it? Lots of CMA people dress casually, smoke, etc., especially on the mainland.

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 9:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    I don't know. When I was coming up, we used to all throw down because that's the sifu we had. Albeit, most of that was in house, or with people outside the school altogether, but... we didn't fear sparring.
    well, back when we were both coming up in the system a willingness to fight was a lot more common. of course there were forms people and fighters and sometimes people who did both, but for whatever reason, back then, when people saw "kung fu" they thought of fighting. with the growth of MMA, and the gradual removal of most hard/full contact kung fu competitions this attitude has changed, and most young fighters don't go looking for a kung fu school when looking to fight.

I know your school has a fight team, right? And, let's not forget our brothers in Staten Island.
    kind of a complex question. the school i came up in had a fight team and a damn good one, but we got old and no younger fighters took our place. also my sifu moved out of nyc.

the branch that i ran in brooklyn tried to build a fight team but it was tough to get the ball rolling even at that point, although if we hadn't closed due to my partner moving out of the city, we might have gotten something together in another year.

the staten island crew have a strong fight team and are active in the lei tai circuit, but remember that their sifu and seniors have for the most part stayed put and that has helped a lot in keeping the fight team going. once you let it die off, the momentum needed to get it going can be quite difficult.

AFAIK, the current incarnation of the school i came up in no longer fields a fight team due to lack of interest, and their sanda classes are less based on preparing fighters for the ring, and more on merely rounding out the skills of the general students.

you may not know that i have not been teaching there for over a year, due to many reasons (we can chat over PM) but primarily because i wanted to focus on judo full time.

I think it's very possible to make a killing, if you don't market it as forms=fighting. Toss out the forms and have dudes hitting pads and sparring and get them into tournaments as soon as possible, and things shouldn't be so bad. I'm talking about having them up and running in 6 months.
    i didn't have much luck getting fighters in the door, and when i did get one, they wouldn't stick around because there weren't any others to spar with. i lost people one by one to the wat, BJJ schools, and frankly i didn't blame them one bit for leaving.

With all that said, I'm not sure that sifu in question is all that awesome. Given the video I've seen, though, it's hard to make a real call, but I'd say there's just as good instruction going on stateside.

Now, if one HAD to get a fight team together and do it through forms as "traditional training" methods, there's only a special kind of person that's going to be up for that, and I'm sure it will be hard to find that person, as we call them "dinosaurs" in my circle.

So there is a way to get guys to join a kungfu fight team, but asking a bunch of kids that like to fight to do some forms for any given length of time better have some real applicable upside in their sparring. I know I wouldn't do forms for ****, if I wasn't able to use them (somewhat) in sparring.

But, yeah... I can see a problem with someone coming over and trying to get a fight team , but telling the fighters that they have to do forms every morning---not going to happen anywhere IMO.
    agreed.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast