Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
Cool video

However, the fact that shuai jiao is a thing doesn’t mean that there’s a huge percentage of kung fu that’s just forms, standup drills, limited compliant chin na and maybe hitting a target and/or opponent. It’s also not really unfair to say that kung fu generally has no ground grappling.
But who's kung fu are you talking about? The modern, pop culture conceptions, or people who train hard to develop their "gong fu", which can include conceivably any type of training. If I train in Hung ga boxing but also keep my judo skills sharp, am I not, according to tradition, developing "good gong fu" all around?

Considering that "kung fu" is such a new (modern) term and encompasses so many different ideas/styles/forms/lineages/training regimens, I don't agree that it is fair to take the entire realm of gong fu and say "it has no grappling". Obviously there are huge differences from school to school and system to system...some systems are more comprehensive than others, and some sifus (good ones) are the first to admit what their system lacks, and how you can complement it. When I told my own sifu that I had at least a few years of Judo, he was VERY HAPPY. For that reason, he knows he can bend me a bit more than the other students :). For this reason, sifu has told me "YOUR gong fu has grappling, because you learned how to grapple".

In fact I feel gong fu is a victim of it's own success, it's easily the most popular martial art in popular culture since television and movies were invented (the "kung fu movie" is a pop culture staple....I don't see a "MMA movies" section anywhere).

I think gong fu has been overglamorized, oversimplified, and ultimately remains underdeveloped for that reason. People see a gong fu style, want to "look like that", and miss the point entirely that good "gong fu" is less what style you study and more how hard of a bastard you can build yourself to be.