Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 6:13pm

Style: Kickboxing/BJJ/Wimp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC not legalised in Victoria - Amateurish article

Herald Sun Report by Ron Reed

There are a couple of points about this article that really frustrate me as an MMA fan.

• The author of this article is clearly uneducated on the topic of MMA, and can't even bother to properly research his material. For instance, he fails to note (probably doesn't even realise) that MMA isn't banned in Victoria - just the cage for which the UFC is famous. I've watched a couple of Kickboxing/MMA cross promotions held in Melbourne on TV. He also seems to assume that George's professional debut was in 2008, which is also very incorrect. Sotiropoulos began his professional career in 2004. Ron Reed may have been confused with George's UFC debut, but even that was in 2007 at the TUF 6 Finale.

• The article conforms to the media hype of MMA (or UFC as the Ron states, he makes no mention of MMA as a whole, and probably thinks the UFC is the entirety of the sport) being the most violent sport in the world - it seems as if most of his "information" is merely gleamed from things he's heard from other articles, as opposed to researching the subject himself. The general tone of this piece (correct me if I'm wrong) is that these violent Americans are going try and legalise this silliness in Victoria, and that regular people (hence Ron mentioning the poll in which most people thought the UFC was animalistic and barbaric) wouldn't like this to happen.

GAH! It's amateurish garbage like this by uninterested two-bit "journalists" (who is obviously trying to pander to a particular demographic of reader) that give me the shits. This type of article does nothing to educate people about MMA at all.

And, I know, crap like this isn't new, plenty of newspapers/news programs/internet cack articles like this out all the time. This one just shits me even more because its so misinformed and poorly researched.

Ah... vent complete.
    Last edited by greatheight; 11/18/2010 6:16pm at . Reason: Spelling/font colour

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is hardly the worst article on MMA I've ever seen. It's actually kind of medium-suck in quality as far as MMA articles go, especially in a country where MMA is still kind of trying to get a foothold in.

But if this article starts getting any comments... Just watch out. You might bust a vein reading that kind of idiocy.

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 1:56pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They did mention the whole cage thing being illegal.

quote.
    >Sotiropoulos points out that it is the cage - known as the Octagon - that is banned, with the various combat styles all legal if performed in a ring<

And I read the tone differently I found it mostly supportive although not well reserched (It was definatly a puff peice).
    the Vox pop bit was negative and the being lobbied by Americans was just silly. But over all I did not mind that article.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaaand, it is Victoria.
    Y'know, where certain neighborhoods have 'yard police'
    who can fine you for negative curb-appeal, and actually
    have your yard landscaped and send you the bill!

I think I'll go have High Tea at the Empress hotel, now!

dang canadians!
    `~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    They did mention the whole cage thing being illegal.

quote.
    >Sotiropoulos points out that it is the cage - known as the Octagon - that is banned, with the various combat styles all legal if performed in a ring<

And I read the tone differently I found it mostly supportive although not well reserched (It was definatly a puff peice).
    the Vox pop bit was negative and the being lobbied by Americans was just silly. But over all I did not mind that article.
    I felt it was slightly underhanded - poking a jab at MMA while being seemingly informative and unbiased, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    This is hardly the worst article on MMA I've ever seen. It's actually kind of medium-suck in quality as far as MMA articles go, especially in a country where MMA is still kind of trying to get a foothold in.

But if this article starts getting any comments... Just watch out. You might bust a vein reading that kind of idiocy.
    True, there have of course been articles that have outspokenly derided MMA. I think the real gripe I have is the lack of resource accuracy, and how the authors laziness will misinform people and potentially turn people away from MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Meex View Post
    Aaaand, it is Victoria.
    Y'know, where certain neighborhoods have 'yard police'
    who can fine you for negative curb-appeal, and actually
    have your yard landscaped and send you the bill!

I think I'll go have High Tea at the Empress hotel, now!

dang canadians!
    `~/
    lol, wut?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 11:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole cage is not allowed thing in Victoria is pretty stupid, considering MMA itself is legal. If anything the cage makes fights safer for fighters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2010 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingrish View Post
    The whole cage is not allowed thing in Victoria is pretty stupid, considering MMA itself is legal. If anything the cage makes fights safer for fighters.
    This is true-fighters can't fall through the ropes, entangle themselves etc, and it adds a little more to the fight as well in regards to tactical options. It may have started as a gimmick, but it's actually quite suitable for combat sports.