Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last

Thread: Pork! Why not?

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Reasons are across the board, from religious reasons to ignorance.

The "filthy pig farm" thing is a myth: all animal farms are filthy, but some are more filthy than others...

Kosher (not all) Jews and most Muslims (not all) including Muslim-oriented organizations like the Nation of Islam avoid pork because of these sections in the Torah and Quran:

Fish and shellfish for sale in tanks in groceries and restaurants also eat their own crap (or "bioload" as it were).
    Eating of bottom dwellers is also a prohibition.

However the laws came about, there were, at that time as we now know, solid reasons.

Washing in the ashes of the red calf? Who cares if it was purple with pink polkadots? The ashes themselves had astringent properties. The blood taboo is another.

Anyone here ever eaten snake? Good lean meat it is.

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think eating insects is out for kosher Jews too.

It is my understanding that's why artichoke from a tin is kosher, and fresh artichoke isn't. Or the heart is, leaves aren't. Or something. My limited pretense at knowledge just ran out as I was typing.

I'd love to hear if that's true from a Kosher Jew though, if we have one here?

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Eating of bottom dwellers is also a prohibition.

However the laws came about, there were, at that time as we now know, solid reasons.

Washing in the ashes of the red calf? Who cares if it was purple with pink polkadots? The ashes themselves had astringent properties. The blood taboo is another.

Anyone here ever eaten snake? Good lean meat it is.
    Good points.

Eaten alligator. Tasted like chicken.

Bacon roll: 59,594 calories of crispy goodness,

Obligatory Pulp Fiction ref:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0zJSgHDnpw

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorami View Post
    I think eating insects is out for kosher Jews too.
    Usually this is true, but there is one type of locust that is okay. Generally it is thought that the exact type was lost, but the Ethiopian Jewish tradition maintains that they continue the tradition.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i won't eat type of food that i haven't, at one point in my life, killed and prepared myself.

it's a gut instinct thing. i've been fishing, cleaned and prepped fish, so fish is ok in my book. i'm not willing to personally kill a pig, cow or bird. more power to you if you are, that's cool, we all make our choices.

shellfish are just gross, though. that's why i don't eat them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had a look at the process of halal when a muslim mate was trying to explain it to me. It is mostly a guide on food hygeine and preparation.
    I eat pork. I have eaten snake. I even eat kangaroo.(Buy it at Coles these days)

here was a theory I had because you can't tell if it is pork or people.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I have had a look at the process of halal when a muslim mate was trying to explain it to me. It is mostly a guide on food hygeine and preparation.
    I eat pork. I have eaten snake. I even eat kangaroo.(Buy it at Coles these days)

here was a theory I had because you can't tell if it is pork or people.
    Could not resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Halal and Kashrut/Kosher are pretty similar. Both have a ritual slaughtering method involving cutting the throat open with a drawing motion of a sharp knife. Sikhism actually forbids this kind of slaughter; their method is a clean beheading with a downward stroke of a sword or ax, which seems more humane to me.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Halal and Kashrut/Kosher are pretty similar. Both have a ritual slaughtering method involving cutting the throat open with a drawing motion of a sharp knife. Sikhism actually forbids this kind of slaughter; their method is a clean beheading with a downward stroke of a sword or ax, which seems more humane to me.
    the nazis used film footage of kosher slaughtering in propaganda films in order to show that jews were torturing animals and should be despised.

i know it's no surprise, but damn, think the nazis were hypocritical much?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    the nazis used film footage of kosher slaughtering in propaganda films in order to show that jews were torturing animals and should be despised.

i know it's no surprise, but damn, think the nazis were hypocritical much?
    were?

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last