Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3 View Post
    Great Post!

I love the 2 on 1 dropping into the sacrifice throw at 1:55.
    Oh hell yeah! That one is even different than the one where he ducks under. He is sneaking the leg out there. Oh **** say something about armdrags to stay on topic!

uhh

I think I see a nice transition from the cross grip armdrag to the Russian 2 on 1 when they pull back because as soon as you reach for the elbow you can let go of the wrist and switch to the Russian tie. Then whey your hand hits the armpit slide the other hand down to the wrist. This effectively switches your grip and gets you outside. Interesting. gotta play with this tonight.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of our wrestlers sets up his single leg with the armdrag. He'll attempt a couple of armdrags, and if they break out of them on the third one he'll make it a lot looser attempt and then immediately go for a single on the near leg. He gets it a LOT.

Use your armdrag to set up other things too, no need to be 1000% committed to the armdrag.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 3:31pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Arm drag to Garcia Roll is pretty much the best thing that ever happened to me.
    A question from the peanut gallery. What is the "Garcia Roll?" Googling and Youtubing turns up nothing by this name.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 3:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a roll to take the back from "seatbelt" grip popularized by Marcello Garcia. I do it at :43 in the video I posted. And there are a couple variations in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_rQ0kuir6E

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so I thought he meant both hands on the elbow for a 2 on 1. I already do that lever style 2 on 1 with the wrist and elbow. I love driving the wrist down and forcing them to pop the elbow out by pulling against the joint. Sets up a great turn for me.

I don't like posting video because it feels like bragging and this is a teammate who I had to face because of combined weight classes and a small bracket. However, it contains everything I am talking about. In the very beginning he breaks out of my arm drag twice. Then we go to a standing grapple for a while and I don't hit the arm drag until after I pull guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfN-A07iWw

I'm starting to think BKR's advice is on the money so far. Just bail and reengage. I would prefer a combination off a failed armdrag though.
    Very nice movement! You actually applied concept/principle that I was talking about by pulling guard in a very controlled manner, then applying the arm drag where he could not jerk away as easily.

You might bail out and re-engage, or have some sort of combination using your opponents reaction.

One thing I noticed, and this is because I'm a judoka, I suppose, is that there were very large openings for ashi waza (foot/leg attacks) caused by him trying to avoid your arm drags. You can also use foot/leg attacks to distract your opponent from your gripping sequence.

One idea we use in Judo is to move your body to where you are gripping, rather than reach and try to grab. Your grip is weaker the further your arms are extended from your body. In Judo at least, a common gripping error is to grab at a sleeve or lapel, while backing away or staying static. If I a grabbing your wrist while moving away from you, even slightly, and you react by removing the limb and or your whole body, no way can I hold onto you.

BTW, don't let them grab your head like that. If that guy had had any throwing ability, you could have been toast.

Ben

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 4:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3 View Post
    Looking at the vid @ the 12 second mark you are doing the 2 on 1 arm drag with the near hand grabbing the wrist and the far arm reaching under the arm for the elbow. Try reversing the grips using the far arm for the wrist and the near arm for the elbow. The goal is so much to move him but to create space and pull yourself to get around the corner. Not a good explanation, try looking at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6LximYZIE

Hope this helps.
    Interesting. I do a similar thing in Judo, but I put pressure to the inside, when the guy pushes back, I use it to open his armpit area and do a Ippon Seoinage, often dropping to my knees. I've also done that and gone for (when it was legal, not now), a knee pick, he reacts by stepping back,then I do the Seoi Nage.

All sorts of stuff is possible depending on reactions.

Ben

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 5:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's an Olympic alternate I roll with that does successive arm drags. In other words, when I pull out of one, he goes for the other side. He's caught me on the second and third attempts many times, and he also goes for the single or an ankle pick off of one too.

One other thing - the higher grip on this, like the one you do before the seatbelt Marcello roll works better. The grip instead of being on the elbow, being up farther actually on the top of the tricep. The benefit is even when they pull back they pull you into them and you can work from there.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 5:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Very nice movement! You actually applied concept/principle that I was talking about by pulling guard in a very controlled manner, then applying the arm drag where he could not jerk away as easily.
    Thanks. That foot in hip guard pull is something I've been working on. I set it up for the possibility of a sacrifice throw but am willing and more likely to just sit down and drag him with me like I did. It is very hard to resist in Gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 10:14pm

Style: Submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a baiting technique, since the counter is the arm drag itself, I test it a couple times, the when he reaches for his arm drag, I swim for an underhook on the farside, going chest to chest for an over under tie. If they're wise to my most common move I typically just use my collar and elbow tie to get two the russian two on one, which has a "built-in" armdrag.

Posted On:
    11/19/2010 2:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. That foot in hip guard pull is something I've been working on. I set it up for the possibility of a sacrifice throw but am willing and more likely to just sit down and drag him with me like I did. It is very hard to resist in Gi.
    I think in the context that you've presented, what you did is more likely to succeed than a sacrifice throw. A sacrifice (sutemi) would require different dynamics.

Yeah, with a gi on, the guy can't slip out very easily.

Ben
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12