1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/17/2010 11:23am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arm Drags vs Wrestlers

I <3 Arm Drags. Arm drag to Garcia Roll is pretty much the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm able to get armdrags on lots of people in Gi and No-Gi. HOWEVER, I have some problems getting them on good wrestlers because the counter for an arm drag is an arm drag. The guys that are active or recent wrestlers are programmed to arm drag as soon as they feel it.

What do you guys do for these cases? I have a good series of options assuming I get the first part of the arm drag but when someone reacts real fast and all we have is each other pulling on each others wrist I don't have a good reaction.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/17/2010 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Break off and re-engage with another gripping strategy if your opponent obviously has the answer(s) to your arm drag(s).

Figure out a way to get to an arm drag position without being so obvious; start with another grip sequence and end up in the arm drag.

Ben

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 8:31am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two quick thoughts.

1. Don't start the arm drag with a pull from the wrist. Sink the grip deeper and pull from behind his elbow.

2. Use a 2 on 1 grip to start the arm drag. Even if he is pulling back to prevent it you still have a shot at turning the corner.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hehe, I don't really pull on the wrist for an armdrag. I grab the wrist to separate it then shoot a cross grip to the elbow.

2 on 1 is interesting though. Do you try to get a 2 on 1 all the way up at the elbow?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 9:12am

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    2 on 1 is interesting though. Do you try to get a 2 on 1 all the way up at the elbow?
    Yes, one hand cups the tricep/elbow and the other is on the wrist. The 2 on 1 is the only way I can armdrag the higher belts or former wrestlers.

I thought about this question last night. When someone tries to armdrag me, I hit the counter armdrag without thinking about it, and with the benefit of thousands of repetitions. My counter is actually faster than my regular armdrag.

Here are some ideas. Drill the armdrag more often to refine efficiency. Also, the 2 on 1 is much more difficult to counter than the one handed drag. Turn and face your sparring partner when they try to counter drag you. The counter only works if he can get off to the side, similar to the regular drag.

There are probably better suggestions out there, but that's all I have for now.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 9:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so I thought he meant both hands on the elbow for a 2 on 1. I already do that lever style 2 on 1 with the wrist and elbow. I love driving the wrist down and forcing them to pop the elbow out by pulling against the joint. Sets up a great turn for me.

I don't like posting video because it feels like bragging and this is a teammate who I had to face because of combined weight classes and a small bracket. However, it contains everything I am talking about. In the very beginning he breaks out of my arm drag twice. Then we go to a standing grapple for a while and I don't hit the arm drag until after I pull guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfN-A07iWw

I'm starting to think BKR's advice is on the money so far. Just bail and reengage. I would prefer a combination off a failed armdrag though.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 10:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at the vid @ the 12 second mark you are doing the 2 on 1 arm drag with the near hand grabbing the wrist and the far arm reaching under the arm for the elbow. Try reversing the grips using the far arm for the wrist and the near arm for the elbow. The goal is so much to move him but to create space and pull yourself to get around the corner. Not a good explanation, try looking at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6LximYZIE

Hope this helps.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:00am

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3 View Post
    Looking at the vid @ the 12 second mark you are doing the 2 on 1 arm drag with the near hand grabbing the wrist and the far arm reaching under the arm for the elbow. Try reversing the grips using the far arm for the wrist and the near arm for the elbow. The goal is so much to move him but to create space and pull yourself to get around the corner. Not a good explanation, try looking at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6LximYZIE

Hope this helps.
    Excellent point. I always grab the tricep/seam-of-gi-at-tricep with the same side hand. Not only does it seem to be quicker, you don't have to clear his arm from your arm after the drag because you're grabbing on the outside of the arm in the first place.

It also feels like this version has a bit more leverage than the traditional armdrag, but that could just be me.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting that is different. So its really an armdrag from a Russian 2 on 1. I like it. I'll have to fool with that when I'm facing guys that are really sensitive to the arm drag. This video shows the 2 on 1 set up and an awesome throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agNqRGpPRZA

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great Post!

I love the 2 on 1 dropping into the sacrifice throw at 1:55.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast