Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Solipsism and Positive thinking... Can they really bring me a million dollars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo

I am glad someone is finally speaking out against this bullshit. It seems obvious how flawed solipsism is, but many organizations seem to value positive thinking above all else.

In the world of martial arts and sports, it seems getting psyched up for the fight or the game is a big part of the strategy, but its only possible to have that confidence for real if you put in the sweat and hours, and you have the skill.

I have heard the doctrine of solipsism used to justify a lack of sympathy for the downtrodden too much, as well as for the purpose of swindling people. Once in my younger days I went to something looking for a job and found myself at a meeting that was for a pyramid scheme. Aside from thinking about how I wanted to gtfo, all they would talk about is how you can overcome anything if you have the right attitude and work hard.

I'm not saying that there is no truth in the value of hard work or a positive attitude, but just that neither is a cure-all, and we need to always be realistic.

Style
    Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If solipsism were real, then my life would be so much better than it is.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know nor care much about solipsism because I can't figure out if it is real or not.

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I don't know nor care much about solipsism because I can't figure out if it is real or not.
    Well theorhetically your entire experience of reality could all be an illusion. Perhaps you are just a brain in a vat being stimulated to believe that your at home by your computer posting on a message board. But solipsism goes further down the rabbit hole by positing that your expectations are what mold reality. To answer your question... it is infalsifiable. In other words, it may be possible to prove even though it hasn't been proven, but even if its false, it is still impossible to disprove.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was my joke too subtle?

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo

I am glad someone is finally speaking out against this bullshit. It seems obvious how flawed solipsism is, but many organizations seem to value positive thinking above all else.

In the world of martial arts and sports, it seems getting psyched up for the fight or the game is a big part of the strategy, but its only possible to have that confidence for real if you put in the sweat and hours, and you have the skill.

I have heard the doctrine of solipsism used to justify a lack of sympathy for the downtrodden too much, as well as for the purpose of swindling people. Once in my younger days I went to something looking for a job and found myself at a meeting that was for a pyramid scheme. Aside from thinking about how I wanted to gtfo, all they would talk about is how you can overcome anything if you have the right attitude and work hard.

I'm not saying that there is no truth in the value of hard work or a positive attitude, but just that neither is a cure-all, and we need to always be realistic.
    Positive thinking works to your advantage until your universe decides to move in a contrary direction, from there, positive thinking can help you get back in accord with your new universe.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practise a form of positive thinking. It is in a song, "always look on the bright side of life *whistle tune*".

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I for one believe that positive thinking certainly helps most of the time. I don't think its some great cosmic or metaphysical thing though. Positive thinking versus wishful thinking, drives people to work hard enough to make things happen. Kind of self fulfilling.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ yep, agree. Also, when life shits on you, it is your attitude that makes it ****, if your attitude is good, then you sell manure.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    Style
    n/a (ex-Karate)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New Age solipsism: when you're too pissweak for Stoicism.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Page 1 of 2 12 Last