Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA lessons without intention to compete. Good idea?

I decided to quit my Sanda instructor, as I'm not convinced by his teaching methods. It's some sort of hybrid with contemporary Wushu that I don't find efficient.

My gym offers MMA and BJJ, both by the same well qualified instructor. I thought BJJ at first but I think my body is better suited for striking and would like to be a bit more versatile.

Here's the catch though: I have no intention to compete. There are a couple reasons for that: The first is that I'm not even a fan of the sport, and I don't particularly enjoy watching it. The second is principles. I make a living out of something else, and when I compete on anything I'm under the impression my opponents have more at stake than me, even at an amateur bout. If I competed I'd compete to win, and if I was successful I wouldn't like the idea of crushing people's ambitions for something that is just a hobby. I could compete "for fun", or with no real intention to win, but why the hell would I do that?

So: given no intention or interest in competition, should I take MMA lessons? What I want out of them is self defense, fitness and technique, for the sake of learning and knowing.

Does training at a MMA place necessarily imply you're training for competition? Also, how hard does the sparring get? Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with medium contact sparring. I'd just prefer to spar protected as my physical and mental integrity are important for my job.

Thank you very much.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The vast majority of people who train at MMA gyms do not compete and no one will make you spar any harder than you're comfortable with (assuming competent instruction).

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in MMA without the intention to compete in MMA (I might at some point but its not a priority).

Its probably pretty realistic as far as self-defense goes, and since there's regular sparring you'll know if your technique works or not. (I say realistic in that you're getting hit by someone who actually means what he's doing)

Fitness is also pretty much a no-brainer at any good MMA gym.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebakaran View Post
    I'm not even a fan of the sport, and I don't particularly enjoy watching it.
    Why would you even consider training in something that you have no interest in. The time, energy, and money you are going to have to dedicate to this training would be better spent on something that you like or enjoy. This doesn't even factor in the blood, sweat and potential for injury.
    Does training at a MMA place necessarily imply you're training for competition? Also, how hard does the sparring get? Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with medium contact sparring. I'd just prefer to spar protected as my physical and mental integrity are important for my job.
    Most, if not all, people training in MMA train hard and for a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.
    Thanks!

Why would you even consider training in something that you have no interest in.
    I have no interest in the sport, or the show. One thing is efficient violence, and another is the glorification of violence and its aesthetic, which is something I dislike.

I am very enthusiastic about martial arts however. My interest in taking MMA-related lessons comes from the fact it looks (to my newbie eyes) like a very realistic way to learn self-defense, rooted in techniques that are actually tested in competition.

The time, energy, and money you are going to have to dedicate to this training would be better spent on something that you like or enjoy. This doesn't even factor in the blood, sweat and potential for injury.
    Most, if not all, people training in MMA train hard and for a purpose.
    My purpose is self defense and fitness, and I'm willing to work hard towards that. I want to be well-rounded when it comes to defending myself, and other arts I have thought about always leave the niggling doubt that "what if they take me to the ground?" (Sanda), "what if I have to face two people?" (BJJ), "what if my attacker is not a harmonic extension of my own motion?" (Aikido).

MMA seems to answers all those questions.

Style
    boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just find something you think is fun and do that. Later you can see whether you'd like to compete or not. If you apply yourself and you round out the weaknesses of your style by crosstraining you'll hold your own in a physical confrontation if you ever have one.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My gym offers MMA and BJJ, both by the same well qualified instructor. I thought BJJ at first but I think my body is better suited for striking and would like to be a bit more versatile.
    You'll have fun and get in shape for sure. I'm pretty sure MMA means you'll be doing grappling too though. Anyway, go for it!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Self defence" is a dead-end. The chance of getting hurt training is going to massively outpace any marginal increase in your safety.

If what you really mean by "self defence" is "I like fighting and I want to be good at it" on the other hand, then rock on.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    "Self defence" is a dead-end. The chance of getting hurt training is going to massively outpace any marginal increase in your safety.

If what you really mean by "self defence" is "I like fighting and I want to be good at it" on the other hand, then rock on.
    Good point. At least there is also fitness in the equation.

And... Yes, I enjoy fighting, at least the technical aspects of it. I enjoy a lot learning how to dodge a blow, or how to hit effectively, and more when I apply it. Sanda was like a chess game to me. I don't have interest in becoming "rougher" beyond a reasonable point for a hobbyist, thus the protected sparring and all that. But I don't mind being hit hard if that makes me learn the technique faster.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. By the way, here's a clip of the place where I'd train (from a BJJ seminar they did):

/watch?v=nDvFq8-70sA&feature=relmfu

My instructor would be Rafael Ribeiro, under Paulao Rezende. I'm not good at BJJ lineages but I'd assume that's legit?

EDIT: Apparently there's a clip of Ryron visiting the place:

/watch?v=vBqHi3NMSTk&feature=related

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I equate this to having sex without wanting kids.

Just saying.

Of course there is masterbation.

Too off subject?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last