Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 6:34pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MABS Cull: Shamar MMA Win

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I understand your point about Chuck. As was often the case, the actual investigative work was done by people other than Cy. Didn't some Shamar guys fight in your neck of the woods this week? Do you know how they did?
    Ya, his guy won near the end of the 3rd with a hammerlock vs his opponent (note the Shamar guy also has a BJJ blue). My guy beat the hell out of his opponent, who didn't show for the 2nd round, making it a no-contest in ammie NC rules (boo!).

All props to Brinn though for getting people in the ring.

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And winning, to add!

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shammar MMA Win

Thanks for the info JG
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 11:32pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can attest to everything thus far. SifuJason and I bore witness. Was going to start a thread on this but saw these here and figured this is good enough.

Soke Brinn was indeed there, but he did not corner his fighter, which I found exceptionally strange. I avoided Soke Brinn all night out of fear and terror, I think Jas talked to him a few times though. They did announce Brian as a "Shamer black belt", which I found hilarious.

It was an exciting fight, I think it tied another fight that evening for the loudest the crowd got. Those were two pretty big boys, my guess is Brian (Brinn's fighter) was about 210-220ish and the other guy (whom I shall refer to hereafter as Kimbo, due to the extremely uncanny similarity in appearance) was 250 according to the fight card. Full disclosure requires that I admit that Brian was the better fighter. He had decent cardio and conditioning, he pressed the fight the whole match and still looked as fresh as a bigger guy can be coming out at round 2. Kimbo gassed hard halfway through round 1, he was wobbling on his feet and swinging wildly, almost falling down. Still, he did stuff several of Brian's repeated take-down attempts, which were well executed. In the end he pretty much turtled up and Brian finished him off. So congrats to Brian on his debut win.

Two things I will say for the record. First, I find it exceptionally strange that Brinn didn't corner Brian, esp. if he's claiming to be his coach. My observations and experiences thus far indicate that it's an unspoken, unwritten hard and fast rule that your primary coach(es) are always your corner(s) at a fight. No if's, and's, or but's. Second, from what I distantly recall of Brinn last year at the TD coupled with the videos I've seen of the training he leads, I am going to attribute just about none of Brian's fighting skill to Brinn's training. First off, he was a wrestler (I'm 99.99999% positive that was mentioned before somewhere) and it showed in his shots. Second, he's a BJJ blue belt under a very legit 4th BB. I don't really remember the stand-up and I'm not qualified to judge that (much less the grappling), so I will leave that alone. Of course they could come in here and swear up and down it's all Brinn's training, or 90% Brinn's training, or blah blah blah, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The one thing I will potentially concede is cardio work, as Brian had decent cardio, but you can get a trained monkey to bang a drum while you do push-ups and sit-ups.

The irony is this all still means jack squat in terms of Brinn's qualifications. The focus was and is on Brinn's personal abilities and skill.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whacker, I have to say I object to the way you are processing this. The guy won his fight, apparently in fairly impressive fashion, and was representing the Shamar system. It is a victory for Brinn's camp. Period. The Fact that Brinn was not in the corner is completely irrelevant if the person in his corner is also representing Brinn's system. Way back when this shitstorm started I told Jason that I doubted his training ideas would work. Now there is some, albeit limited, evidence to the contrary. I have to process that and adjust the strength of my belief in that hypothesis. ANY RATIONAL PERSON involved in this debate has to do the same.

Now clearly Aney's BJJ coach deserves some credit as well, but do you have any reason to believe that person (or persons) actually trained him for this fight? Along the same lines, do you have a reference or verification for your claim that Brinn's fighter has a significant wrestling background? We can't start moving goal posts here.

If we are going to rake people over the coals here, we have a responsibility to adjust the line of criticsm as new evidence becomes available.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 11/10/2010 10:41am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post

Now clearly Aney's BJJ coach deserves some credit as well, but do you have any reason to believe that person (or persons) actually trained him for this fight? Along the same lines, do you have a reference or verification for your claim that Brinn's fighter has a significant wrestling background? We can't start moving goal posts here.
    I can say with reasonable certainty that he was trained by his BJJ coach for this fight, at least to some extent. His BJJ instructor was there, and he came out representing BJJ as was as Shamar. Also, in talking with Brinn, he implied that he (and Brian) were still training with their BJJ coach--in fact they encouraged me to go visit, which I probably will since it is pretty close to me.

Thus, here are my thoughts:

1) Shamar was adequately repped in the cage, alongside BJJ. This is not bad/unusual etc in any way, since many fighters train with multiple camps.
    2) Brinn claims to have a good cardio program, and this was evident in the fight, especially compared to Brian's opponent, who was much bigger and gassed quickly.
    3) I agree that it was odd that Brinn had one of his student's corner his fighter, and not himself, but there could be many reasons for this.

Overall, good showing for Brinn.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 11:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a report on the fight here, for anyone that's interested...

http://www.examiner.com/mma-in-durha...ults-and-recap

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Harris' fight report
    In the final bout, heavyweight Brian Amey forced fellow heavyweight Walter Smith to submit to a straight armbar in the third round. The two came out punching to start the bout. Amey then drove Smith against cage clinching and looking for a takedown, bu Smith fought it off. After a long stale mate they separated and Smith drove forward with punches, clinched and looked for a takedown. Amey fought it off and eventually got a takedown of his own. From top he tried to work for an armbar but Smith escaped to top and threw punches down. Amey defended himself and the two ended up in an awkward position with both fighters looking for leg locks with the stomachs to the floor. In round two they both came put swinging but Smith clinched and eventually got a takedown. Amey looked for armbars from bottom but Smith defended them and landed strikes from the top. Amey then battled to standing and they start winging punches at one another. Amey landed more so Smith ducked under and shot for a takedown. However, Amey got him down but Smith tried to fight back to standing, giving up his back. From there Amey landed punches from back mount before finishing the round looking for a rear naked choke. In the final round, Amey looked for a takedown early. Smith defended it and they exchanged a few punches before Smith shot for his own takedown. Amey defended the takedown with a Kimura that he turned into a straight armbar that forced Smith to tap.
    Does that sound about right to the guys who were there?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what does Shamar look like? Did you guys see anything that wasn't contained in BJJ or kickboxing...or any indication that there is anything unique about Shamar?

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 12:37pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked for video and didn't find it - if it was posted, would someone please link to it?

If Mr Brinn or anyone from his camp is lurking, congratulations on a win, and continued good luck!
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    So what does Shamar look like? Did you guys see anything that wasn't contained in BJJ or kickboxing...or any indication that there is anything unique about Shamar?
    No; pretty much standard.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast