Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma
    Honestly, not really that impressed with Nam Phan after that fight. He kept himself out of trouble with the guillotine, but he got controlled for pretty much the entire time. And for as much love as his striking has gotten, I was kind of expecting to see more movement and tighter combos and less telegraphed headkicks and wild right hands.

There's nothing wrong with beating a guy via superior conditioning, because that's just as much of a skill as striking or grappling, maybe even more. But I'm just not that hyped about anything I've seen from him so far.
    you might disagree but: nam was blowing way less energy than cody in the first round. he was using less movement and staying calm. much in the same way you might chill for a bit while a noob is spazzing out.

in my mind, cody lost the first round strategically because he did more harm to himself than nam did.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Doesn't to me, but then again he's not really done any Judo, in the octagon. My coach always says Judo doesn't work in MMA and he was a national champion. I think that Judoka don't work in MMA, in other words, Judoka just don't seem to be able to stick to or work a Judo game plan in MMA.

The only recent fight I've seen where a Judoka has had a good Judo game plan and stuck to it was Ishii vs Minowa.
    there are a couple of fighters who have adapted pretty well to MMA. have you seen many of karo's matches?

YouTube - Judo in the MMA

in MMA we see a lot of fighters who are of a high level in a particular style, but we don't necessarily see them winning every match with techniques from that style. they don't even fight the way we'd expect.

you can't do "perfect" boxing, BJJ, muay thai, karate, judo or whatever. each of these styles needs to be adapted slightly because things will happen which really throw a spanner in the works.

i think that sako just didn't feel a judo throw was "there for the taking".

i'm kinda tired so i hope that makes sense.

game dog

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 1:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    Idk my opinion on Brookin's kinda changed this episode
    he is a fucking cool guy but if you watch both of his fights, he did the exact same thing both times.
    So? If your opponent knows exactly what's coming, and has trained specifically to prevent it, and you can still pull it off, you're pretty damn good IMO.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    there are a couple of fighters who have adapted pretty well to MMA. have you seen many of karo's matches?

YouTube - Judo in the MMA

in MMA we see a lot of fighters who are of a high level in a particular style, but we don't necessarily see them winning every match with techniques from that style. they don't even fight the way we'd expect.

you can't do "perfect" boxing, BJJ, muay thai, karate, judo or whatever. each of these styles needs to be adapted slightly because things will happen which really throw a spanner in the works.

i think that sako just didn't feel a judo throw was "there for the taking".

i'm kinda tired so i hope that makes sense.
    It makes sense.

No I haven't, I had a look at wikipedia and it seems Karo was doing most of his fighting - 04,05,06,07 - I was still in school then and didn't even know the UFC existed lol, let alone who was in it.

I don't expect Judoka to walk up to an MMA opponent throw them with a massive technique and then slide effortless into an arm lock, but I do expect to see a Judoka using Judo to try and control fights, score points and look to get dominant position or at the very least actually use some Judo. I don't think you often see Thai boxers, BJJ-ers and wrestlers go into an MMA match and not at least use their core skill set at least a few times.

Yeh like I said earlier its very easy to say should'a would'a could'a from the comfort of a sofa whilst sipping a beer its completely another thing to be there in octagon. Also we may be totally underestimating Brookins base and takedown defense he seemed to shrug of Sako's few footsweep techniques pretty easily.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 1:59pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo

Check out this sweet throw from from Rick Hawn in Bellator (start at about 1:16). There's some Judo for you!

YouTube - Bellator 33 HIghlight: Rick Hawn Judo Throw TKO

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 2:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh like I said earlier its very easy to say should'a would'a could'a from the comfort of a sofa whilst sipping a beer its completely another thing to be there in octagon. Also we may be totally underestimating Brookins base and takedown defense he seemed to shrug of Sako's few footsweep techniques pretty easily.
    i think certainly. obviously he didn't feel anything there. brookins left no opening that sako knew how to take advantage of, despite his high level of judo experience.

maybe fighting in MMA against high level opponents isn't so easy.

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    maybe fighting in MMA against high level opponents isn't so easy.
    Maybe fighting against someone who is better at you than MMA makes it difficult to do stuff to them in MMA...

You know working together I think we could really be onto something here maybe we should start our own programme with online belt testing etc...

[serious]
    I know everyone is saying Sako is high level Judo but I had actually never heard of him in my life before TUF and even when they said he was a Judo guy it was only then that I looked him up on Judoinside he isn't on there.... There's a 'Sarkis', which could easily be him and if it is and the record on Judoinside is correct then he never actually won anything major and the competitions he did win 2nd and 3rds in aren't considered that highly international.
    http://www.judoinside.com/uk/?factfi...is_chivitchian

I'm sure he's a much much better Judoka than I am and he'd definitely own me in an MMA match, but compared to the elite level of Judoka he's not on the radar.

Sevak Magakian doesn't even feature on Judoinside, which means he probbaly hasn't achieved anything much in elite Judo.

Again taking nothing away from either fighter they've got bigger balls than me to have done what they've done and get to where they are, but in terms of their Judo they don't seem to be as world class or as high level as they've been hyped up to be.

[/serious]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 3:21pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
    So? If your opponent knows exactly what's coming, and has trained specifically to prevent it, and you can still pull it off, you're pretty damn good IMO.
    No no no Im not saying he is bad at all. Its just I thought he was the next big thing, now I kinda think less but still think he is good.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    11/12/2010 5:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
    This. It's always more impressive when you see it coming a mile away and still can't do **** to prevent it.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

game dog

Posted On:
    11/12/2010 2:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you often see Thai boxers, BJJ-ers and wrestlers go into an MMA match and not at least use their core skill set at least a few times.
    Unfortunately, ever since someone has spread the rumor that sloppy fistfights are more "exciting" than skilled grappling, we've seen way too many BJJers trying to be all manly and win the fight on their feet. (See Jorge Gurgel's fights for particularly pathetic examples of this.)
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234