Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:18am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combat SAMBO; Tony Lopez

Anybody ever train with Tony? I've been wondering what happened to him?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 1:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 9:20pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have one old VHS of his. Was not impressed (not terrible, but not impressive either).

He is from that old guard of wrestlers/TMA guys turned sambo guys...getting ranks and making a name for themselves off a style people did not know much about at the time (except for the sport version wrestlers were doing). Notice in his bio, he starts teaching "combat sambo" with no prior "combat Sambo" training. I am willing to be he was teaching re-engineered sport sambo (like his own "style" kempo-jujitsu), which is what most people were calling "combat sambo" back then. Don't forget that the first world combat sambo champs were not until 2000, so it was not even a formalized sport yet. Very few people had access to russian coaches at that time (there were some...and much of that was patchwork...what they could pick up at international tournaments, etc).

****, in the VHS I have, he is wearing a white gi and all he does which seems sombo like is to talk about this russian friend or that one that showed him something (does not mention names).

Having said that, he may be a great martial artist, but times have changed and people can't get away with the same tactics they did back then.

Regarding his AAU gold medal from 1998, I would love to know what event it was in (same for his 2000 medal) because I do not have him in my archive for those years and I have full results for the 1998 AAU/USSA XXIV National Sambo Championships, 1998 AAU Grand National Sambo Championships, 2000 FIAS West World Open/AAU Grand Nationals, and 2000 XXVI AAU/USSA Nationals. There is a Santiago Lopez who won a gold in 2000 FIAS West World Open/AAU Grand Nationals. I don't know if that is the same guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 10:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, yeah. I can factually attest to some of your conjecture but I'd like to know what he's doing now.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 11:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea. Have not heard much from him on-line. I never met him in person.

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 2:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Anybody ever train with Tony? I've been wondering what happened to him?
    A friend of mine trained with Tony back around 2006-7 in Rome, Ga.
    The last i heard is that he is living and training somewhere around Knoxville, Tn.