Posted On:
    1/01/2015 1:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Presently none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Recommendations, North Atlanta Metro Area

/Users/lee-brooks/Desktop/samurai.png

I'm brand new and this is my first post, so please let me know if it's in the wrong place.

I need gym/dojo recommendations. I live in Kennesaw, GA, in the north Atlanta metro area. Atlanta is too far to drive. I checked the forums here first, but the last on-topic thread is about 7 or 8 years old and some of the recommended places don't exist anymore.

What am I looking for? Something to save my ass from a heart attack. I've been in and out of martial arts for 20 years, but out for long enough to get off the scales this morning at an alarming 284 lbs. at 5'10. I'm 40. I no longer have dreams of winning in the Octagon, and while I loved boxing and never minded cleaning out my nose after with Q-tips, I didn't love going home after sparring and sometimes not remembering driving there. I gave up too many IQ points to full sparring (literally) and I can't afford to lose any more.

That doesn't mean I want a bullshido mcdojo. I am most fortunate to have an Alliance BJJ affiliate less than 2 miles from the house and Alliance is the best around, but I confess, I miss striking, and this school teaches only BJJ. I don't suppose anything prevents me from cross-training at different schools, except time and money. I also loved what little I took of Kali and MT. I am interested in the so-called reality based concepts of Krav Maga, but the only thing in my immediate neighborhood is a KM place inside an ATA dojo, so I'm a little skeptical of it's legitimacy.

I'm a samurai feudal Japan loving nerd and MMA enthusiast. I formerly loved watching boxing, but now that I know what it's doing to the fighters' brains it's not as fun to watch. I'm trying to take all these interests into consideration and find the best place to meet my needs. I've probably written too much already, so if you've read this far, many thanks.

One last question. Am I too damn fat to realistically even start yet? Should I try slimming down first?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2015 6:54pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are in the wrong section, but martial arts will help you become not fat, unless you have serious medical conditions which prevent you from safely losing weight. Well, combined with a good healthy diet. Meat, vegetables, enough carbs for the energy you need but not a ton, blah blah blah. If you aren't me, it'll work fine.

Posted On:
    1/01/2015 7:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Presently none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    You are in the wrong section, but martial arts will help you become not fat, unless you have serious medical conditions which prevent you from safely losing weight. Well, combined with a good healthy diet. Meat, vegetables, enough carbs for the energy you need but not a ton, blah blah blah. If you aren't me, it'll work fine.

Thanks for your reply. Which section does my inquiry belong in? I'll cut and paste.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2015 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody ever lost enough weight to start exercising. Just go do it.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2015 3:56pm

Style: BJJ, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not visited it, but I've heard good things about Alan Baker's academy in Woodstock. He's a BJJ black belt under Pedro Sauer, and has studied under Dan Inosanto and Paul Vunak.

http://www.atlantamartialartscenter.com/

Posted On:
    1/08/2015 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty amazing, but I am in the exact same boat as you. 5'10, 290, 38 yeays old. I live on Bells Ferry at 575. We're neighbors. I had my second session today at Gracie Barra Jujitsu. Mson has been there about six months and already has been in one competition. I am so out of shape that i leave practivce a gasping wet noodle. The instructors have been great, pushing me to my limit while still being encouraging. They give a free week of practice, you ought to try it out. You do have to buy a Gracie Barra gi if you enroll, which sucks. But, theybwaive the first months fee when you do, so the bite isnt too bad.

As for other schools in the area, I beliver there is a place on shallowford clled Striker that caters to the mma crowd, and there is an Alliance affiliated bjj place on Cntonroad that I know nothing about.

If you do come by, look for the fat sweaty dude named Jason. The one who looks like hes dying. That will be me.

Posted On:
    1/20/2015 8:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Striker Fight Center in Kennesaw myself. It is an MMA based gym that sounds perfect for what you are looking for. Before coming to striker, I tried out a BJJ exclusive facility, and had trained at a Krav Maga McDojo as well. The MOMENT I set foot in a Striker class I knew it was the real deal and have been with them ever since. I have trained predominately in BJJ under black belt Juan Guevara, who has fought in several MMA fights before, and is able to do a great job in teaching both "sport" and "MMA" BJJ. I've also began training in wrestling, Muay Thai, and boxing under other instructors for my eventual MMA fights and couldn't be happier with my choice.

There website is strikerfightmma.com. Tell them Devin sent you and give me a shout if you ever stop by!