insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 12:18am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Is processing data through some cameras enough to give a machine “depth perception”, ie will it know if it is close enough or too far away to hit a person?
    Check out this PAX 2010 expo demo of Kinect Boxing:

The tech (machine vision/response) is really already here (too bad our advanced youtube video embedding tech is not working atm), I might even pick up a Kinect and rip it apart, now that Sony's lost its DMCA teeth.

I know that it's hard to envision the tech coming about to make this work but that's how innovation works, gotta dream a bit beyond what's currently possible.

Yeah I see this project as a major challenge but also a good opportunity to research fighting from a scientific perspective (hence BS.net) as well as improve my background in ECE.

Thanks for the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GUi76A8e20

Afterthought, after watching the Kinect boxing vid a few more times...they're all punching air. We know that is bad. Kinect will do for Boxing and striking arts what Guitar Hero did for guitar: create generations of air punching lunatics who think they can fight.

sparbot may just save the future of fighting video games. :)
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/16/2010 12:27am at .

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 12:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    IF this works it would be an amazing technical exercise.. But nobody would buy it.

You're creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

You wanna practice fighting, you spar.

if you're a beginner and you need training, you get a coach.
    I see your points, I do. I'm not really looking at this with $ signs in my eyes, but as a way really advancing my own studies of CE and human fighting...for now. (which is why I like BS.net...this is a great site for empirical evidence).

I don't think this is intended to replace a good partner at all but instead to bring some of the "dead" equipment we're used to into the 21st century. It'll happen in steps, just like the home game experience has just gone from static handheld controller buttons to handheld controller and physical movement, and now to controllerless movement with the Kinect. Sony will never add punching arms and physical targets, but why not add them and create a better experience.

That Kinect Boxing game looks really cool from a pure gamer perspective...but I think you'd agree it's a really poor substitute for the real thing, or even hitting a bag. Looks like it'd get boring after a short while of punching air. You or I would want to hit something solid.

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 1:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Oh... never mind.
    After all this time, you're shy?

Tell me what you are thinking, please.

Here is some great inspirational material, saw this tonight catching up on "The Walking Dead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjK-0dhdIg0

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sure you must have seen this by now but if not here is a little treat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOz0...1&feature=fvwp

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 2:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Check out this PAX 2010 expo demo of Kinect Boxing:

The tech (machine vision/response) is really already here (too bad our advanced youtube video embedding tech is not working atm), I might even pick up a Kinect and rip it apart, now that Sony's lost its DMCA teeth.
    Correction (tired posting) the Kinect is obviously a Microsoft product, not a Sony one....but **** the DMCA regardless. I will spend $150 to take one apart.

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 2:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am sure you must have seen this by now but if not here is a little treat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOz0...1&feature=fvwp
    lol lunge punch...lol balloon missile head...yeah this is classic.

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was wondering since Bullshido has SO MANY INTELLECTUAL POSTERS, maybe someone has actually seen/read/heard of this book "The Engineering of Sport" or has any ties to the ISEA (International Sports Engineering Association)?

The Engineering of Sport: The Engineering of Sport is a book series started by Steve Haake. The book series is the published papers from the Biannual ISEA international conference. The book series form a definitive state of play of sports engineering practice throughout the world. UNfortunately the book series tend to be published by the conference hosts for that year and thus it can be hard to get back orders of historical issues as the publishing house and print run varies. Recently copies have become available electronically. The book series is currently 7 in the series and available from Springer

This proceedings volume of the ISEA 2008 examines sports engineering, an interdisciplinary subject which encompasses and integrates not only sports science and classical engineering but also aims to bridge the gap between the analysis of the equipment and the athlete himself. The areas of interest include the mechanics, biomechanics and dynamics of sport, the physiology, anatomy and the analysis of movement, instrumentation, equipment design, surface interaction, materials and modelling, and many others. These various topics could be part of technology applications practically in every sport. The proceedings will be of particular interest among others to Engineering, Physics, Mathematics and Sports Science Departments and will act as a forum where research, industry and the sports sector can exchange state of the art technology, dedicated knowledge and innovative ideas.
    http://sportsbioengineering.com/the-...-of-sport.html

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New design idea for a Type IV design....focus mitt and thai pad bot.

Why?

Watched a LOT of videos on both this week, taking note of how the person with the pads moves/calls out combinations. To me this seems like a very straightforward, useful tool (a robotic pad holder) because the movement is relatively simple, easy to model, and easy to program.

I will call this one Padbot™

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you are already babbling again as if you had some sort of superior intellect or skill compared to us others, what about you shut up and simply build whatever you have in mind?

What about presenting something more than debatable theory, like, for example, a presentable fact?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/18/2010 11:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will regret saying this, but....

W. Rabbit, why don't you bring this to this Sociocide thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast