Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 10:49pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WMA historical books - xmas list help?

(I thought this would be much more appropriate here, if mods feel otherwise then I apologize, please move the thread to the better subforum.)

So I'm working on my christmas list that the relatives are hounding me for, and have had a real hankering for some new reading material. Would really like to hear some recommendations from ya'll on some books you've read and enjoyed on the topics below.

My interests vary pretty widely, some things that come to mind are:

- Pankration
    - Evolution of methods of combat in ancient and classical europe, egypt, and mesopotamia, as it pertains to both individuals and group warfare.
    - Evolution of individual combat and warfare from pre-history to the early/high middle ages.
    - Increased role of mounted combat following the fall of the WRE
    - The like.

Stuff that I generally do not find interesting at all is western combat and warfare post 1500.

I realize that some of this is technically broader than the scope of "western martial arts" and gets into generic warfare, but I figure it never hurts to ask. In terms of depth of material, I generally prefer reading on the finer points and details of the subject at hand, more so than general high level overviews. If it's a book one would find on a university course list, that's perfectly fine with me. Two examples of books along these lines that I have now and enjoyed are Agincourt by Juliet Barker and Medieval Warfare by Peter Reid.

If ya'll need an area to start with, been leaning heavily towards greek unarmed and hoplite (spear) combat as of late. Thanks a lot in advance guys, I await your wisdom. :eng101:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 1:58am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can recommend http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Sports-.../dp/0300063121 for an academic take on ancient combat sports. It looks like Amazon has quite a few interesting-looking books on reconstructed pankration/Greek martial arts, but I haven't read any of them re. recommendations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2010 7:12pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I can recommend http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Sports-.../dp/0300063121 for an academic take on ancient combat sports. It looks like Amazon has quite a few interesting-looking books on reconstructed pankration/Greek martial arts, but I haven't read any of them re. recommendations.
    Thanks for that. New book for my book list

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 7:38am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks DdlR, that book looks exactly like something I'm out for, added it to my list.