Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 12:58pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TY-GA karate....

http://www.ty-ga.co.uk/

just wondering how many of you have heard of these lovely chimps? and what your experiences were and the fact that now they have 'registered as its own martial art' seperate from karate

first saw them at the seni exhibition a few years ago, but now they have one of those 'aggressive' marketing attitudes.

i training traditional karate for 11 years, and even then these guys were a bit of a joke (it takes something to be a bit of a joke when you are in the KUGB) besides it was a beautiful moment in the 10k clash this year when their 'national champion' had one of those 'why are you hitting me?' looks on his face as he got a shoeing:D

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does 'Soke' mean?
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

shadow weight

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: yes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by tkdan28
    What does 'Soke' mean?
    http://juliancollege.com/soke.html
    Now or never.

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    3/04/2004 5:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to award myself many made up awards now after visiting that site. Let's see, the 2004 I'mabadass award, the 2004 award for receiving the most awards, 2004 Undisputed champion of everything award, and the list goes on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2004 11:36am

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i kid you not.. the reason its called ty-ga

his name is gary
    his brothers name is tyrone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 3:49pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi All

I just wanted to add some info on Gary Wasniewski's Ty-Ga Karate (If anyone was still interested!) and his Dan gradings.

The last physical GRADING he took was 5th Dan sometime in 1989 if I recall correctly. I was told by Gary Wasniewski (UK only?) that after that ALL grades (6, 7, 8 etc. Dans) are AWARDED on merit/devotion to the Arts and no further grading or physical testing is required. 6th Dan was awarded to him in 1996/7(?) and the last OFFICAL grading he was awarded was 7th Dan.

ALL those grades were/are recognized from various official English Karate Bodies such as EKC EKB MAC etc. (some of the no longer active, but at the time were "The Management") and I was told (by GW again!) the corresponding Japanese groups would recognize them as well.

From about 2003 Ty-Ga's promotional material had him as a "7th/10th Dan" Shihan (some indecision over whether to go all out with his own Grand Mastership?) and now he is of course 10th Dan according to World Head of Family Sokeship Council!

This "organization" will recognize you for a humble fee to be a Soke (Grand Master) in your OWN style as long as you recognize ALL of them (everybody who joins the WHFSC) as Sokes (10th Dan GM) as well, cue lots of back slapping, self congratulating and traveling the Globe to give seminars to each other (another requirement) for a small profit, I notice some of the more modest members only give themselves a 9th Dan (perhaps waiting for Christmas?) while still being a Grand Master in their own style.

It is a Wado based style - (the original Logo included the Dove-Fist symbol) that renamed the Pinan Katas Nidan, Shodan etc. to Ty-Ga Nidan, Ty-Ga Shodan to further distance itself from Wado-Ryu in the Early 90's, all Katas are done at full speed and power.
    Any claims of Dan gradings in "other" styles are based upon being recognized by similar striking styles and not a profound knowledge of Kata or other techniques and methods.
    Gary Wasniewski was a successful competition Karate fighter in the late 1970's - early '80's in Semi-contact WUKO stuff, known for his kicking ability. Ticky Donovan could attest to that.

The 10K clash competition featured Ty-Ga Karate National Kumite Team Coach Tony Leslie 5th Dan (the Ty-Ga website has him training for 21 years but 1989/90 is when I remember him joining) himself a 5 times Ty-Ga national champion - he was Beaten by Scottish Karate-man Scott Gemmell 8-0.

Someone mentioned TKD, which is apt as Ty-Ga prides itself on Kicking ability, although high kicking is utilized more than jumping/flying kicks. Traditional Karate-Ka will also compare the 2 styles by saying they have no "core" and are sport orientated.

I could ramble on for several more paragraphs, my initial reason for writing was to post some facts on Ty-Ga Karate. I take nothing away from Sensei (how I knew him) Gary Wasniewski's abilities as a Karate-Ka. His kicks are very fast and powerful. He was an inspirational teacher when I trained under him for a number of years (a long time ago) and a decent human being.

As for Dan Gradings, the man I first met in 1986 was seemingly happy to be called "Gary" by all his students. It was sometime in 1988 he made a point of instructing senior students to call him Sensei.

Oss

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This kind of thread necromancy really deserves an Omega-level ass raping. Hopefully he stumbles across this thread. Also, it's "Osu" you muppet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 4:34pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please explain "thread necromancy"?

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 4:43pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi-Boy
    Please explain "thread necromancy"?
    Last post before yours was 03-04-2004, 09:36 AM. So by my understanding that means your post was just short of three years in the making?

:kermit:

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 4:57pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure if thread necromancy really matters a **** here, seeing as Sushiboy's is the first substantial post, and anyway he's followed the SEARCH FUNCTION n00B rule to the letter.

So I'd like to add a 'welcome to Bullshido', and I think I did Ty-Ga with that Gary chap when I was a kid. Must've been about 86/87 I'd guess, it was somewhere in West London, possibly Kensington Leisure centre or thereabouts... does that sound right Sushifella?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast