Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 1:43pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fish oil helps with inflammation and with lubrication. Roughly speaking, it changes the viscosity of your oil. It's got many health benefits -- it's fantastic for your arteries. It's the one supplement everyone should take. I think of it as food, not a supplement. There's a bottle on my desk a work.

Glucosamine has inconsistent and inconclusive research. I take it, but it may be snake oil.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido/Aiki-Jutsu/Ex-Booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Fish oil helps with inflammation and with lubrication. Roughly speaking, it changes the viscosity of your oil. It's got many health benefits -- it's fantastic for your arteries. It's the one supplement everyone should take. I think of it as food, not a supplement. There's a bottle on my desk a work.

Glucosamine has inconsistent and inconclusive research. I take it, but it may be snake oil.
    A lot of nutrition science is still in debate.

What we know (and at least what I've been told in my classes so far, there's probably something I'm missing since its not my area of research) for sure is that the omega 3s are good news overall.

Flavonoids are still up in the air. Right now all the research (and what I'm working on) is their effect on inflammation, which seems promising. Otherwise, as someone mentioned earlier, they're not always what they're cracked up to be...

Glucosamine doesn't have much scientific basis, from what I know. There's compounds in it that we *think* may be good for joints, but evidence is, again, bouncing back and forth....my theory is the Placebo effect. However, its worth a try and it certainly won't hurt you even if it does nothing at all....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido/Aiki-Jutsu/Ex-Booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    It looks like the most current research suggest that antioxidants are not all that they are cracked up to be.
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/297/8/842
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...8&searchtype=a
    This is another example of nutrition science bouncing around.

Evidence for flavonoids has been proven and disproven and changed for years on end, but right now there is significant proof for flavonoids reducing inflammation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 2:04pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, will try fish oil for sure.

Aikichick, goodlun, just to clarify, are either of you whatsoever qualified with nutrition or chemistry or whatever pertains to this?

Not insinuating anything, linking and quoting studies and articles is useful whether you're qualified or not, i just wanna clarify whether you guys have 'expert' status to interpret the relevance of this stuff or whether i should just take it in like any other information i run across.

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 2:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope not an expert here, hence why I tend to point to studies so you don't have to take my word on it. No offense taken here it is always good to vet your sources just be sure you don't fall for an ad hominid or appeal to authority when you do research you should do your best to understand why things are.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12