Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 4:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pointless ramble about fighting and stuff

So in the past month I've been offered several professional fights, one in China and all pretty sweet deals. Unfortunately I've been taking it easy due to recovering from the ol' knee injury which seems to be basically back to normal now apart from some occasional cramping due to sleeping in bad positions or sitting with my legs crossed too long.

There's a tournament in Omaha (which I posted about) where the girl I fought when I got injured has signed up, so I'm seriously considering doing the tournament. The fighter I took to the TBA is eager to fight again so if he wants to go then I'll be taking him at the very least, plus a friend (who happens to be Atlanta's local favorite female fighter right now) seems interested in making it out for the division just below mine so that'd be a pretty cool deal.

Honestly, though... these days, and maybe it's just the cold and winter time being the time of caring about other things... I just don't feel all that focused on pursuing more fighting. I want to keep coaching, training fighters and being the coach I've always wished I had, but right now I've just got other things that are more important than really pushing my fight career and committing to the gym.

I guess the dilemma is that I feel like every time I want to take this "break" I'm getting more and more into having a casual hobby sort of relationship with my sport and any dreams of becoming a top level competitor kinda slip away little by little. I'm still young though, so it's kind of silly I guess, I just keep coming back here to bullshido and realize my only posts relate very specifically to the serious competition side of martial arts and I just plain don't have anything to post.

I have some stuff going on in the next few months that may interfere to a large degree with my ability to train, but if all goes smoothly and I can get back on track I should be fighting again in late February, though I think after I avenge my very unfortunate TKO loss I'll be focusing 100% to coaching, painting and putting out fires (more on that to come).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 6:10am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not the intensity but the duration of high feelings makes high men.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 12:00pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please continue kicking ass.

Thanks in advance,

bombom

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a particular goal you’re working towards in your fights? It seems like you have enough of a background fighting that if you just wanted to focus on coaching there would be no problem with that. It’s a pretty organic progression from fighter to coach, and if you devoted your focus to that, you could work on making your students excellent competitors as well. On the other hand, if you really want to get back in there and compete at the elite level that’s great too, but I imagine that would require a really high level of dedication.

Do you have any new artwork scanned?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I have to ask this, do you really want to try and make your living by fighting or do you want fighting to be a hobby that you enjoy? Not that the 2 are mutually exclusive.
    Two quotes
    the best way to ruin a hobby is to turn it into work
    and
    if you do what you love you will never work a day in your life

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 4:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Do you have a particular goal you’re working towards in your fights? It seems like you have enough of a background fighting that if you just wanted to focus on coaching there would be no problem with that. It’s a pretty organic progression from fighter to coach, and if you devoted your focus to that, you could work on making your students excellent competitors as well. On the other hand, if you really want to get back in there and compete at the elite level that’s great too, but I imagine that would require a really high level of dedication.

Do you have any new artwork scanned?
    To be honest, I'm already a pretty damn good coach (no, not modest here). The guys who've trained with me can't stand training with other coaches because I've spoiled them to my awesome training, what can I say, I may be a newbie trainer but I put a lot of effort into what I do. I'm always going to focus on that, though, since my main goal is to be a top level muaythai coach when I'm all crotchety with slurred speech.

As far as fight career goes, I want to be known as one of the greats, up there with the #1 ranked girls in the various divisions like Julie Kitchen, Germaine De Randamie, Ilonka Elmont and Naoko Kumagai. As far as my record goes and my previous success as a fighter, I've got a loooong way to go, but I know I have the abilities and a flashy technical style that people like to watch so with the right connections (which I've been making more and more over time) I think I can at least put myself up there as one of the most skilled and entertaining American female thai fighters.

I feel the biggest factor for me is luck, and unfortunately my luck with the fight career hasn't been the greatest, what with injuries, pre-fight sickness, and all sorts of nonsense causing me to lose fights that I should have no problem winning. I'm hoping with the right focus and some good management I could put myself up there.

I know, I talk like a big shot, but knowing you have what it takes is a huge part of the fight game. It's just up to me to manage the focus and free time to really make it happen for myself.

EDIT: oh yeah, since I've been injured I've done a ton of art so people can feel free to check out my gallery :)

http://kidspatula.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm actually trying to put together a series of pastel work based on hall of fame female Muaythai fighters and Boxers which I've so far completed one of.

Ilonka even saw it and gave her approval, woohoo!
    Last edited by Torakaka; 11/08/2010 4:58pm at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I guess I have to ask this, do you really want to try and make your living by fighting or do you want fighting to be a hobby that you enjoy? Not that the 2 are mutually exclusive.
    Two quotes
    the best way to ruin a hobby is to turn it into work
    and
    if you do what you love you will never work a day in your life
    There are practically no female fighters which make their living from fighting, there just aren't enough to fight opportunities for women and even the pros often end up having to pay to fight. It's not about money for me, it's about being remembered for something spectacular.

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious, how are the sponsorship opportunities for women? Mostly just curious because any money you make through fighting is less money you have to make through working which just means more time to do the things that will give you that shot at being great.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Just curious, how are the sponsorship opportunities for women? Mostly just curious because any money you make through fighting is less money you have to make through working which just means more time to do the things that will give you that shot at being great.
    I haven't really put a ton of effort into looking into what sort of sponsorship I'd be able to get, though since I'm not really into MMA I think it's a bit more difficult to market yourself to sponsors (no one gives two shits about sponsoring muaythai fighters in the US, nor apparently in Japan either if you're a woman).

I am currently an ALIAS fightwear sponsored fighter, though since I'm still amateur I haven't taken any advantage outside of free sports bras and tank tops. They were, however, going to help fund my flight expenses to a pro tournament I was going to be competing in Tokyo (you get $1000 for fighting and $10,000 for winning in addition to all expenses paid while you're in Tokyo, but they expected everyone but the returning champ to pay flight expenses).

I think I could potentially get some sponsorship doing some fitness modeling (a friend of mine who used to be #2 ranked amateur boxer did a bit of this) but these are all things I'll be thinking about I guess once I start considering getting my fight career rolling again.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 2:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    gotta say, never pegged you as the furry/cat-girl/anime type. go figure.

anyhow, i figure it's about sorting your priorities out, right? i dunno how much ring life you have left, but assuming your injuries haven't become a chronic condition, i see no reason not to train hard and coach in your off-/recovery-time. it's all the "normal life" stuff that you need to decide if you want to keep doing, really.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast