Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 8:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

genbukan Ninpo any good?

Hello everyone,

I have been practicing traditional JJ for the past two years now, also some BJJ, though I am looking for another martial art.

After doing some research i found out that there is Genbukan Ninpo dojo in my neighbourhood and I was wondering if you guys could give me any information.

The information that I am looking for can be practicly anything you know about the martial art/organisation. Though i would prefer if you could fill me up on the effectiveness of the martial art and ofcourse, is it any fun? There seems to be alot of jokes going on around here about Ninjutsu, is it because of it's ineffectiveness or because of other reasons that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 9:07am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pop "genbukan" into the search box to your right. You'll get threads like these: genbukan/bujinkan differences - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Short answer: Genbukan does not suck as much as other "ninjutsu" styles. But it's all relative. Go find a Judo school, or MT, etc.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 9:41am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to ask yourself what do you want to gain from another martial art when stacked up against JJJ and BJJ.

Ninpo/Ninjutsu/Taijutsu [whatever] IMHO isn't going to compare to what you've possibly been used to.

I can't comment on the technical authenticity of the teachings or the quality of the dojo however, if it were me, I'd look at something else, even if this was purely for interest, rather than for practicality there are far more arts available which don't carry the stigma attached to them.

What else is available in your region other than Genbukan ?

What are you looking for from this additional study by the way ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 9:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the quality of my current teachings are amazing.I'm leaning towards ninpo because of the finesse in the art, and i like the idea of being able to strike,do locks etc. I'm not choosing this martial art to bash everyone i meet, though i want it to be useful if i ever find myself attacked.

There are alot of other self defence systemsin my region for example judo,karate,taekwondo,box,kickbox,muay thai but those aren't very appealing to me.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 10:32am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want a martial art to teach you to fight, then pick a school where you get to fight (i.e. spar with aliveness) and that produces fighters. This is probably not the case of the Ninpo school. It is probably the case of your local boxing and Muay Thai gyms.

Ninjutsu (of all brands and flavours) has a strong reputation for not incorporating realistic sparring, and for not producing people who do well in fighting competitions. A school where this is the case is unlikely to make you competent at that; and furthermore, may teach you techniques that would not work against a resisting opponent: Their curriculum is not cleared of cool-looking but useless techniques (and may accumulate them) because there is no objective winnowing process to clear them.

As a very rough rule of thumb, if a martial arts style is often a significant part of a real fighter’s arsenal, it’s probably a worthwhile style to practice. Of course, there may perfectly well be good styles that just happen to be less common, but if a large percentage of MMA fighters rely on a style, it’s probably reasonable to infer that it imparts some skills useful in real fights. (See: Boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, BJJ, …)

Of course, if your goal is not to learn practical fighting skills but simply to enjoy practicing techniques with, as you say, “finesse”, then by all means go forth and explore.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 10:41am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Algior View Post
    There are alot of other self defence systemsin my region for example judo,karate,taekwondo,box,kickbox,muay thai but those aren't very appealing to me.
    You make me angry.

Joint locks don't work. (edit: As they are presented in the Genbukan curriculum, joint locks don't work.) You have a ton of variety in your area when others aren't as fortunate.

Leave the ninja stuff alone and go learn how to fight in the real world.

P.S. I'm even more disappointed in you because you've already done BJJ. You should know better.
    Last edited by helmutlvx; 10/19/2010 10:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:07am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a) What helmut said.

b) More search engine use, more reading the stickied FAQs, less asking the same stupid questions over and over.

c) For a BJJer, you suck. Big time.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training the real is no proof against bullshido

OP why do you find judo,karate,taekwondo,box,kickbox,muay thai unappealing?

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're already doing JJJ, I don't see what ninpo is going to give you. It's basically JJJ in black pajamas.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 2:02pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    If you're already doing JJJ, I don't see what ninpo is going to give you. It's basically JJJ in black pajamas.
    ^^^^^^This.

I don't think you'll find anything you haven't already seen elsewhere.

And where the hell is Plasma?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast