Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Those were good videos. I need to concentrate on not gripping so hard and just have the hand like a hook, using the old "monkey grip."
    Don't get me wrong, you want to grip the **** out of the bar to maintain tension in your body, you just want to hand to only serve the purpose of holding the weight, rather than trying to curl the weight up.

Glad the videos help guys. I've been trying to make more of them explaining difficult lifting concepts with visual cues.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 3:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been wondering about this for a bit since the numbers on my pullups seem to have stalled. On the vertical pull video, would you say that to do it correctly, you're more trying to drive your elbows down towards the floor instead of moving yourself up?

Edit- just did a few sets with the advice from the video. BIG difference. Much smoother pull, and while I still feel it in my biceps, there seems to be a lot more of the lats included this time. I alternate between normal pullups and neutral grip pullups, and putting my thumb over the bar instead of hooking it made all the difference on the neutrals. Thanks!
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 11/04/2010 3:56pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, amazing how very small changes can have major impact in muscle recruitment, haha. You still need calrification on the first part of your post?
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/04/2010 8:49pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I think I'm good. Turns out actually going and trying it was more useful than asking questions. Who knew?

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 8:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info Emevas. It makes one hell of a difference when you make the connection. I've been trying to work the lats but feeling it in the biceps. Now I'm getting the "pull" in the lats that I should have been looking for. I still find that when I get to the last couple of reps that the arms try to sneak back into play. Definitely getting a better lat workout now.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 12:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    Thanks for the info Emevas. It makes one hell of a difference when you make the connection. I've been trying to work the lats but feeling it in the biceps. Now I'm getting the "pull" in the lats that I should have been looking for. I still find that when I get to the last couple of reps that the arms try to sneak back into play. Definitely getting a better lat workout now.
    Yup, with most exercises, as the reps get higher, your "stronger" muscles will take over. In this specific instance, since the biceps have been getting trained more than the lats, they want to take over. Given enough time, your lats will eventually surpass your biceps.

Glad this helped.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff. Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 11:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never thought of it as pulling with the hand, though I think I understand why you state it as such. I have always thought of it as arm-pulling versus back pulling, but visualizing the elbow moving first is pretty much back pulling. I like the idea.

It's sort of like breaking at the hips in squatting, versus the knees. It tends to make a large difference, once you get the feel of it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 10:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what, now that you mention it, I might try making a video that addresses breaking at the hips versus knees. That's another concept that seems to confuse new lifters.

Yeah, Dave Tate wrote an article that first introduced it to me as "pulling with the hands", and I felt it summed it up very well.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 10:52pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting post. I've been dealing with a tennis elbow sort if injury since this summer, not sure what caused it but it really sucks in certain movements. I discovered over the past month or more that monkey grip pullups don't irritate my elbow nearly as much a conventional grip pullups.

I switched to monkey grip pullups (moving the thump over the bar instead of under) mainly because it was more comfortable on my sore elbow. If i'm reading the other posts right this change produced significant results for everyone else. For me changing the grip made the exercise harder, i've gotten somewhat used to the motion now and I can now do what I used to with a normal grip pullup. I use the same technique for body-weight rows, i'm used to it now but it was harder at first. I'm surprised others are having such dramatic results so soon.

I enjoyed the post, good info. BTW who's minivan is that in vid #2 (i think) you're way too young to own a minivan, hahaha.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast