11/11/2010 2:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Chris Anderson's old website is still up:
    http://olympia.fortunecity.com/montana/666/
    Yeah, I looked at that when the YMAS thread was just getting started.

In light of your comments tonight, I looked again and picked up on this...

Universal Fighting Systems Academy of Martial Arts offers certified classes in:Jeet Kune Do Concepts, Jun Fan Wing Chun, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu,Russian CAMbO, American Combat Sombo, Muay Thai kickboxing, Jun Fan fighting Arts, filipino Martial Arts, and Vale Tudo Training.All classes are taught in a hands on fashion under a certified instructor to assure the best possible training available. U.F.S. is located at 3820 Kecoughtan Rd.Hampton , Va.23661 (757)727-7844
    The late Mr. Anderson obviously thought that the difference between the two was worth noting. Not entirely sure what this means, or if it has any relevance to the current situation...

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 3:00pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Yeah, I looked at that when the YMAS thread was just getting started.

In light of your comments tonight, I looked again and picked up on this...

The late Mr. Anderson obviously thought that the difference between the two was worth noting. Not entirely sure what this means, or if it has any relevance to the current situation...
    Yes, I saw that too. But I guess the distinction did not make it to the rank certs then...

Back then there was this movement to differentiate from Russia...and label everything "American" this or that. I think it was strictly for marketing purposes.

This thread is an interesting read as it talks about the sambo of that time. It was quite a different community than now as there still had been very little interaction with Russian coaches and most US sambo was an offshoot of the wrestling community.
    http://www.worldwidegrappling.com/sh...and-crew/page2

Of interest is this quote by Scott Anderson (no relation to Chris):
    I believe that Densberger's original explanation for working with them was that their original instructor, Chris Anderson (who was a 3D in the ASA) had disappeared, and we would not want Norfolk/VA Beach sambo to die out. Chris also was the US rep (or so I was told) for Martin Clarke's sombo organization. I do not know for a fact that Bill Varner trained under Chris Anderson, but Chris' sambo was a typical sub-genre of that period where an amalgam of grappling styles developed that managed to avoid either wrestling or judo inputs. Chris was an engaging and talented instructor, and he did have quite a following, but some issues in his life made him prone to disappearing for large periods of time.

At some point in there, the school was reputed to have picked up a Russian sambo instructor who was said to be ex-Spetznaz, but I never met him or caught his name...

The old ASA was around for a while, and awarded (I almost typed "handed out") belts for a while, and that means with any where from 2 to 5 years of training, you could be a black belt....
    BTW, the "old ASA" was the American Sambo Academy

edited to remove non-relevant stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 12:31pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello again everyone, sorry for being absent from the thread for a while(trying to research some items). I finally got a response from WUMA and |I think you all will find it interesting(possibly another investigation).

My message:

Sir,
    I am contacting you about a Mr. Abraham Hardy. Mr Hardy has stated that he is affiliated with the WUMA and is "The youngest headmaster in the history of WUMA, and having achieved more martial art system progress than anyone in the Federation's history." Is this a true statement? I would be interested in getting your take on Mr. Hardy and if your organization recognizes Mr Hardy's statements and his system of martial arts? Mr. Hardy has also stated that your organization, "Their experts recognize his Universal Belief and Warrior Philosophy system as a new and LEGITIMATE system of philosophy." Is this also a true statement? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Jon.

The response from "Master Deadly":

freedom of speech my friend, you can be what you wanna be, aint the answer obvious to you lol
    Instructors seem to want to be the world leaders of martial arts and mr hardy aint doing anything different to most martial arts instructors throughout the world my friend.
    self promotion gives him the power, up to you what you believe!!!!

Master Deadly
    "Master Deadly" is Master Richard "Deadly Dicker" Hopkins, the founder of WUMA.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 12:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That says more in its non-responsiveness than, if he had of actually answered the questions.

I mean an "I'm not entertaining any questions on this matter," "Yes" or "No" would suffice

He can do what he wants? Who said he couldn't? What a childish answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 12:41pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF-you took the thoughts right out of my head. So, this guy ia saying he does not care what anyone does or says, even if it makes his organization become suspect with creating more bullshio-ists.

At the very least, I would think he would want to distance himself from Mr. Hardy in his response.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 2:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Hello again everyone, sorry for being absent from the thread for a while(trying to research some items). I finally got a response from WUMA and |I think you all will find it interesting(possibly another investigation).

My message:

The response from "Master Deadly":

"Master Deadly" is Master Richard "Deadly Dicker" Hopkins, the founder of WUMA.
    Not to sidetrack things, but this sounds like a great reason to open an investigation on WUMA (And it's instructors since they seem to run a school.)
    Last edited by CarotidCrank; 11/14/2010 2:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 4:39pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarotidCrank View Post
    Not to sidetrack things, but this sounds like a great reason to open an investigation on WUMA (And it's instructors since they seem to run a school.)
    But you are, in fact, side-tracking things. (No offense.) WUMA is possibly valid for investigation, but its legitimacy isn't relevant to the investigation of Hardy.

He created a system of philosophy, good for him. He enjoys physical conditioning. Good for him.

He is teaching others martial arts without holding teaching ranks. This is where we get to "brass tacks". Now that there are records and lists of his certifications of Hardy's own admission, a write-up would be appropriate.

I can help out with the write-up, if you guys want.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 4:48pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is teaching others martial arts without holding teaching ranks.
    This is a completely separate style specific issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 5:07pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is a completely separate style specific issue.
    That's certainly true.

But from the material Hardy has himself presented on YouTube and elsewhere, I think we could both agree Hardy is not qualified to coach MMA.

edit: I removed the "qualified to teach martial arts" phrase because we'll go off into somewhere ridiculous if the discussion gets any more vague.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast