Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like the only one that wasn't from a MA diploma mill was the Kukkikwon cert.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 1:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: letters from Chris Anderson.

Na, I'm not going to accuse Mr. Hardy of writing the letters himself. I can think of at least one person who'd be in a position to verify that the signatures are those of Mr. Anderson though, just for the record.

Looks like he wrote Mr. Hardy a couple of nice references. Mr. Anderson sounds like he was a really good guy. This is the impression I get from the people that have spoken of him to me.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 1:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    It looks like the only one that wasn't from a MA diploma mill was the Kukkikwon cert.
    At about 7mins in, he states overtly that he *gave himself* the title that appears on the certificate.

Edit:
    In my opinion, if what Hardy says is accurate, it doesn't reflect well on WUMA, in terms of quality-control that they uncritically accepted those certificates as proof of rank and status.
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 11/10/2010 1:56pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it odd that all the certificates seem to be printed on the same stationary? All 8x10?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 4:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarotidCrank View Post
    Is it odd that all the certificates seem to be printed on the same stationary? All 8x10?
    No, because he admits he received many from the same organization.

It becomes a problem when the ranks are from different orgs but all have the same seal.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 7:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So... putting this all together in one of my insomniac nights, as I'm trying to figure out whether to go back to bed and try sleeping, or just stay up now...

Just some musings for Mr. Hardy to take a look at and possibly comment on, if he so wishes.

In 2003, at the age of 19/20, you took inventory of yourself - your TKD training, the Sambo/JKD/Kali/Muay Thai you'd learned at Chris Anderson's school, the things your dad and godfather taught you, the other stuff you picked up from wherever you picked it up from over the years, a headful of your own theories on the martial arts - and figured (like a bunch of guys have before you - some legends, some fools) something along the lines of "I could put all this together in a way that no-one else has ever thought of and really make something that works!".

So, a system was born. Now, a system needs a Headmaster (or a Grandmaster, or a Soke, or an O-Sensei or whatever) and a Headmaster needs a belt around his waist befitting of a Headmaster and pieces of paper to indicate to the world that he's a Headmaster - and, as just luck would have it, there are companies on the internet who can help you with all that jazz...

So you partook of their services and got yourself all the pieces of paper that you needed. They'd asked you what you wanted on said pieces of paper and, as a new Headmaster, you asked them for only what seemed reasonable to you and that which you thought you required to enable you to establish/formalize a curriculum and proper belt system for your art(s).

A few weeks/months later, you decided to contact some martial arts organizations in order to register your new system with an outside body (as people do), get organizational support, get the word out, maybe get your guys eligible for tournaments at some point in the future when they were ready, etc. For whatever reason, you selected WUMA, in the UK. You wrote to them, introducing yourself and telling them all about your brand new system. They seemed interested and asked you to send them more info about what you and your guys were doing over the pond. So you did - off went the certificates, writings, videos, photos, documents and whatever else you thought that they might want to look at.

A while later, you got a letter back. In it, the WUMA guy seemed impressed. He'd taken a look at the stuff you'd provided and told you that yes, as far as he was concerned, from the documents in front of him, you were indeed the Headmaster of your system, you were indeed African-American and that you were the youngest person with both these attributes that his org had ever had dealings with at that point in time.

You said "I sure am."

They told you that they'd be happy to have you as a member.

You said "Yeah, okay".

Is this basically how it went? Better or worse?

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 7:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More vids and more certificates.

YouTube - Headmaster Abraham Hardy's Martial Arts Background #2
    YouTube - Headmaster Abraham Hardy's Martial Arts Background #3

Presidential Sports Awards - as far as I am aware (US people can probably provide more detail), these are a govt. initiative to encourage people to keep fit and participate in sports, which requires a certain number of logged hours of training to apply for. No one here is doubting that Mr. Hardy is a strong, athletic, physically fit individual (dude looks like he's carved outta wood) who participates in the martial arts and has done for several years.

National Physical Fitness Award - Ditto. Something to motivate schoolkids to exercise. http://www.brighthub.com/health/fitn...les/44245.aspx would have it that "The National Physical Fitness Award is given to participants who perform in the 50th percentile".

TKD Times Recognition Award - Dunno. Anyone?

Diploma in fitness and nutrition from Thompson Education Direct - no-one has ever accused Mr. Hardy of lying about this, or questioned it in any way.

TKD gup certificates - again, no-one here is doubting that Mr. Hardy worked his way up to 1st dan under Brad Tinnon. He confirmed this insofar as he could remember, when Searcher contacted him.

Level 1 Basic Student in Muay Thai/Yellow Belt (2nd Stripe) in Sombo - now here we come to the meat of the issue. As far as I am aware from my discussions with Duane Walden and Rod Melvin, Mr. Hardy likely did indeed earn these ranks under the late Chris Anderson. The problem here is that Mr. Hardy is only a Level 1 Basic Student in Muay Thai/Yellow Belt (2nd Stripe) in Sombo (Q. for the Sambistas - would that be considered dojo rank?) - but is already teaching and passing on this stuff without supervision or any apparent further formal training in these arts and placing his students into MMA fights, whilst telling people that he's a 'master of the martial arts'.

The Combat Sombo International cert we've seen already.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 1:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was asked to take a look at some of Hardy's grappling videos...

Having watched these videos I will say that I have seen worse crappling examples. But, rather than critique the videos point by point (which would be a thesis), I will simply say that Hardy obviously has some VERY rudimentary understanding of submissions. However, The lack of detail, contradictions between videos, mislabeled techniques, impossible submissions, sloppiness, poor positioning, and complete lack of knowledge regarding basic fundamental principles leads me to believe he really is a low level grappler who had some minor formal training, but supplemented what little he knows by reading books, watching videos, etc.

To a knowledgable grappler, his videos betray him by revealing his ignorance and lack of deeper understanding. For who he claims to be, these videos are absolutely horrible. Another good indicator of his lack of high level skill is the very poor form of his students.

This is no skilled sambo man and he should stop smearing the good name of Chris Anderson (RIP).
    Last edited by sambosteve; 11/11/2010 1:30pm at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Membership of Combat Sombo International, signed by Chris Anderson. Doesn't look like it's a proof of anything in terms of rank - just that he's a member of the org.
    In Hardy's list of arts formally studied, he lists "Russian Sambo" and "American Combat Sambo". Here on BS, he says he studied with Anderson for 2 years or so.

Now, back in the day there was a movement in the US towards giving rank in sambo. That movement is for the most part dead, but within the time period we are discussing, it does have a legit context. There were various orgs doing so. Most of those orgs are now defunct.

But, that does not matter because I can't imagine that Hardy would have been awarded any significant rank after only 2 years as a teenager. He now says it was an error on his part based on a reference letter from Anderson.

Secondly, I could almost guarantee that Hardy is trying to kill two birds with one stone by saying he formally studied "Russian Sambo" and "American Combat Sambo". My bet is that he only studied the little bit of sambo he did with Anderson and is now milking it for all it is worth by listing two different types of sambo on his resume'.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/11/2010 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post

Level 1 Basic Student in Muay Thai/Yellow Belt (2nd Stripe) in Sombo - now here we come to the meat of the issue. As far as I am aware from my discussions with Duane Walden and Rod Melvin, Mr. Hardy likely did indeed earn these ranks under the late Chris Anderson. The problem here is that Mr. Hardy is only a Level 1 Basic Student in Muay Thai/Yellow Belt (2nd Stripe) in Sombo (Q. for the Sambistas - would that be considered dojo rank?) - but is already teaching and passing on this stuff without supervision or any apparent further formal training in these arts and placing his students into MMA fights, whilst telling people that he's a 'master of the martial arts'.

The Combat Sombo International cert we've seen already.
    The CSI cert and letters really only confirm he was a memebr of the org/club and that at the time Anderson considered Hardy a good kid with promise.

As I mentioned before there were several orgs giving ranks at that time, most or all of which are now defunct. There was a movement to rank sambo like the Japanese arts (white up to black, etc...). That movement failed as it is not the international standard for sambo and too many small mom and pop orgs were doing it...thus having the opposite effect than intended (standardization). But, back then there was some validity in that ranking was more common at the time in this country. Inasmuch, a yellow was, like all yellow ranks in martial arts, a beginner's rank. In the context of back then, it was not much to boast about. Today it is definitely not even worth mentioning.

Again, as I pointed out before, Hardy claims to have studied "American Combat Sambo" and "Russian Sambo"...LOL. I guess it was a 2 for one yellow belt.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast