Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 8:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My eyes were glazing over a little reading that.

I did pick up on this though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hardy
    For a detailed training histroy see http://www.myspace.com/nubianwarriorking. I am a system founder of my familys fighting arts, so there is no way anyone could "give" me my ranks as if they matter. Martial artists and people in general become fixated on the material trappins and titles, i really dont care.
    Says a guy who's apparently (according to the site he links) walking around with an 8th dan, a 7th dan, a 6th dan and a 5th dan at the age of 27 and making a big deal about being "the YOUNGEST African American Headmaster Instructor in The World"...

This is the second investigation I've been closely involved with where someone has used the 'rank is meaningless' argument whilst obviously caring about shiny stuff very much.

Just a thought, but it may be a blind alley to try debating Mr. Hardy on his Afrocentric martial arts theories. He's obviously read a lot of books on the subject and can probably argue about it at length until the cows come home. It's not the main issue here (IMO) - and I fear it may sidetrack the thread if/when he starts posting here, if we allow it to...

EDIT to add:

Mr. Hardy has questioned who I am and what my interest is in him and his system. I wonder if this is the time to make him aware of this thread?
    I'd say so. I actually thought that you'd linked him to this thread the other day...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 8:27pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had not yet linked him to the thread, but I will immediately.

I will also cease on the Afrocentric martial arts theories.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 3:46am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe I am qualified to critique on some of his grappling techniques. I'll focus on these one at a time over the next couple of days.

YouTube - Hacomtaewresdo- Ground Attack

0:05 - Upper Keylock/Americana. Needs to bring the elbow closer to the body, adjust the angle of the submission, and not take his weight off his opponent's chest when applying the move.

0:09 - Farside Armbar. It looks like he is grabbing his opponent by the palm of the hand, which is not effective.

0:15 - 0:17 - Lower Keylock/Kimura. He is not utilizing a very good figure 4 or double wrist lock to secure the hand. He is also not securing his opponent with his weight and isn't applying the leverage efficiently.

0:27 - Side Clutch Neck Crank. Again, he is rising his body up when applying the submission, which makes it easier for an opponent to escape and doesn't effectively isolate the cervical spine. Additionally, if he were to utilize his forearm to turn uke's chin more towards him he would be applying a much more effective neck crank.

0:33 - Crucifix Neck Crank. He should utilize his right arm to hold the position and his left arm to apply the downward pressure of the neck.

0:42 - Figure 4 Armbar. He should have foot in front of uke's head to better restrict body movement.

0:47 - Straight Armbar. Horrible setup, too much space when transitioning his leg over, and he didn't pinch his knees when applying the armbar.

1:03 - Ezequiel Choke. Not as effective in no gi. He needs to grapevine the legs in order to prevent the bump and roll.

1:10 - Modified Can Opener/Half Crucifix Neck Crank?? Not sure if this is even a real move from the mount. Again, needs to isolate the neck and pin the body better.

1:25 - Figure 4 Armbar from Mount. Terrible move to do from this position as it's really easy to negate the leverage and leaves you vulnerable to being sweept.

1:31 - Kimura. Uke needs to be more on his side and Mr. Hardy needs to be isolating his head by either stepping over his opponent's head and sitting on it or kneel on his face. He is wrapping his thumb around uke's wrist as opposed to a C grip.

1:38 - Armbar. Not bad, but he needs to have less space and squeeze everything tighter.

1:52 - Kneebar. Horrible set up, again leaving too much space by not squeezing his knees together, not isolating the hip/far leg at all, and has an ineffective grip on the leg.

2:13 - Kneebar. Same kneebar but with a worse set up that leave enough space for me to park my car. Same issues as previous kneebar.

2:15 - Armpit Kneebar. Actually this is my preferred arm position for getting maximum leverage for the kneebar. He does need to pinch his elbow towards his body and knees together to effectively isolate the leg.

2:24 - Single Boston Crab. Weird transition aside, he doesn't have a correct grip on the ankle, isn't sitting on uke's lower back, and isn't applying the correct pressure on the hip flexors.

2:29 - Bulldog Choke/Neck Crank. His forearm should be across his opponent's throat, not the crook of his elbow.

2:36 - RNC. Hard to see his hands, but it looks like he is trying to pull uke's head up, rather then squeezing on the carotid arteries. Also, he didn't get his hooks in which is more effective then having them out.

2:41 - Sit Down/Pump Handle Armbar + Wristlock. His left leg should be more underneath his opponent's shoulder and his legs need to be more of a 90* angle for an optimum base. I don't like the way he is applying the wristlock and he needs to have more of an upward "pump" for the armbar.

2:47 - Toehold???? I can't tell if he's going for a toehold or an Achilles lock, but it's just done wrong in either case.

Based on this video alone I would rank him as a white belt in just about any system of grappling. His techniques show many beginner mistakes and it appears to me that he lacks a deep understanding of certain concepts of grappling such as isolation, restriction of movement, leverage, efficient body mechanics, and the finer details of the moves he is performing. I would guess he has had some grappling training, but I suspect not a lot and has learned more from books and DVD's rather then proper instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 10:32am

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks cool, but ineffective. This guy is obviously a beginner.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 10:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks as though Mr. Hardy tried to create a Wikipedia article about Hacomtaewresdo (now deleted) a couple of days ago.

Current link to cached version (may not be up for long):
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Screencap:

Quote Originally Posted by content of the WP article
    Hacomtaewresdo Warrior Arts ; The Hacomtaewresdo Warrior Arts ( also known as the HCW Combative Arts or the Hacomtaewresdo Combative Arts) consist of four martial arts systems founded by Headmaster instructor Abraham Hardy. They are a hybird martial arts that are the progressive systhesis of multiple martial arts systems. They were developed in the United States and formally founded in 2003. They are Afro- American martial arts in the sense that altough they contain aspects of African, Asian, and Western martial arts, their history and lineage is traced to Africa and the original martial arts that birthed the techniques.
    The basis of the Hacomtaewresdo Warrior Arts is modern street self defense, termed "urban combatives" and related "reality based" fighting although many of it's practitoners have competed to success in mixed martial arts competition. The Hacomtaewresdo warrior arts fighting systems are the following ; Hacomtaewresdo which is in function like Pankration or Shoot style fighting. Sumkido Self Defense System which is based in older self defense styles like Hapkido, Aikido / Aki Jiujitsu, with Krav Maga and military type combatives added. Sumkido also deals with weapons defense as well as the use of martial arts weapons, like that of traditional martial arts. The Taewresdo Kickboxing System which in application is like Sanda / San Shou or Shootboxing. Last is the Hacomtaewresdo Combative Sciense System also known as Pan Kau Ra Shen. This system is in aspect like a synthesis of Russian Sambo, Judo, and submission fighting.
    Edit: thoughts...

Aikido - who taught/where/how long/rank?
    Akijujutsu - who taught/where/how long/rank?
    Krav Maga - who taught/where/how long/rank?
    (these are new claims of arts studied, as far as I am aware)

"...although many of it's practitoners have competed to success in mixed martial arts competition."

Names of fighters/records/links to records/video?
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 11/06/2010 10:58am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I received some replys from Mr. Hardy on some items that might be of interest to everyone here(classic Bullshido responses).

He inquired as to who I was and what my interest in him was. I responded by giving him an overview of myself and my training along with my interest. The followingis his response:

Greetings. It is not my aim to get into a back and forth with you, as it serves no purpose for me. I get this alot due to the fact of my young age and all that i have accomplished. I have had people trying to undermine and discredit my work and what i do since i struck out on my own. Jealousy breeds contempt all i can say. I got to the point where i focus on what i do and just ignore most outsiders whom try to approach me negatively, cause that wont stop, just like the praise will not stop either. It is childish for me cause i have made my name for myself and my reputation has stood and will stand. I cannot be judged or held to nobodys else's regard in the martial arts cause i do not fall under nobody else's athourity. Yes i do hold alot of rank cause i am a systems founder. People go crazy over that, but they going to have to get over it and focus on the path they walk, not the path i walk. I cannot help other people's dissatisfaction at how much rank i have. It is just papers and a belt.People are so caught in that now a days and not what is important which is the art and the teachings. It is why i do not have my students wear belts or uniforms and i rarely wear a belt or uniform myself. Changing lives for the better with my teachings and improving peoples health is my ultimate goal as should be any instructor. I accomplish nothing arguing over what i have left in the history book.

As far as Tai Chi goes, i was approached and asked to teach basic aspects of Tai Chi to senor citizens. I formally learned aspects of Tai Chi and Hapkido as part of my formal Taekwondo training under Brad Tinnon of Action arts academy. I modified what i learned and taught a short form that imparted breathing, posture, coordination, and proper body movement the seniors as they all had medical restraints. I taught that cause i was asked, not cause i desired. That opened the door for me to teach one of my specialties which is my form of kickboxing. From there that led to guys wanting me to train them for MMA and so forth.

I do not know what vibe you may get form me, but as stated if what i do was not legitimate i would not be around nor place my work in front the public and the world, more specially put my name on it. I use my real name and promote myself as the professional i know i am and that i am recognized as. I place my work before the world cause I have no fear of detractors or critics. I fucus on me and what im doing and bettering myself and students. What other poeple think of me is of no consequence cause their will always be those who just dont like me or my work. We all have people in this life that just wont like "something" about us lol. I would like to end our conversation on a positive note by thanking you for your reply to my questions about you and wish you continued progress in your training and works. Peace be upon you.
    I then sent hima link to this article and told him to answer any and all questions to the link. This is his response:

I know of that site and i have knowledge that i have been spoke on there. I have no intrest to go there and argure on someone else's forum to defend my work. I have a long paper trail of accomplishments proving and validating my work, as well as a bunch of certificates for those who think in base terms of rank and belts. I prove myself and work every time i train my students, and to argue that with someone that i am "legit" proves that i am not. Arguing over the computer does nothing for me, i show proof with actions by my work. Thanks you for taking the time to send me the info though. Peace.

I don't think he really cares about being outed, but he has forgotten something. The YMCA core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility. They have caused many employees to be removed from work. If it is concluded that he is a fraud andthe YMCA is informed that of this, he may be terminated from his job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 3:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also just received this from Brad Tinnon:

My question:

Mr. Tinnon,

If I may make another inquiry? Do you recall if Mr. Hardy studied Hapkido and Tai Chi at the time he was training with you? Are you aware of any Tai Chi or Hapkido schools operasting in your area that Mr. Hardy might have trained at?

Thank you.

The response:

I teach both. Abe received very basic hapkido from me years ago, not worth mentioning. There are schools & instructors locally for both arts. I'm afraid that's all I have for you. I can't confirm or discount any additional info.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 5:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hardy
    I know of that site and i have knowledge that i have been spoke on there. I have no intrest to go there and argure on someone else's forum to defend my work. I have a long paper trail of accomplishments proving and validating my work, as well as a bunch of certificates for those who think in base terms of rank and belts. I prove myself and work every time i train my students, and to argue that with someone that i am "legit" proves that i am not. Arguing over the computer does nothing for me, i show proof with actions by my work. Thanks you for taking the time to send me the info though. Peace.
    It's a shame that he won't be posting here. It would be interesting to find out more about his certificates and 'long paper trail of accomplishments'.

To repeat the list of martial arts he claims to have studied/researched on his Wordpress blog...

INFORMALLY STUDIED
    Street Fighting ( was a streetfighter from day one )
    Westerm Boxing
    Wrestling
    Judo
    Wing Chun Kung Fu
    Bo Staff ( military combatance style, pugil stick)
    Japanese Swordsmanship
    Nunchakau
    Special Forces Army Combatives
    Tai Merrian Boxing
    FORMALLY STUDIED
    WTF Taekwondo
    Hapkido
    Tai Chi
    Jeet Kune Do
    Muay Thai Kickboxing
    Phillipino Kali
    American Combat Sombo
    Russian Sombo
    RESEARCHED / INCORPORATED ARTS
    Western Boxing
    Greco-Roman & Freestyle Wrestling
    Catch Wrestling
    Pankration / Pancratium
    Gladiatorial Style Combat
    Submission Fighting
    Shootfighting / Shootboxing
    Judo
    Pancrase
    Japanese Style Professional Wrestling
    Vale Tudo
    Chinese San Shou
    Japanese Sabaki Fighting Method
    Aikido
    Hapkido
    Chin Na
    Krav Maga
    Tai Chi
    Tai Merrian Boxing
    African Martial Arts & Sciences
    Muay Thai
    American Kickboxing
    Jeet Kune Do
    Fillipino arnis
    Kenpo Karate
    If he had certificates indicating a level of proficiency (taking techniques and concepts from an art in order to incorporate them into something else, I'd assert would require a certain level of understanding and proficiency in said art - so as not to merely be the guy who 'haphazardly throws techniques together and make a set of systems', as Mr. Hardy has insisted to Searcher he is certainly not) in just half of these at the age of 27, he'd quite literally be one of the finest martial artists in recent decades - if not of all time.

Which, going on the video evidence presented so far in this thread, he clearly is not.

Is it also not reasonable to assume that Mr. Hardy would have previously made reference to such rank certificates on his MySpace biography? Considering that he explicitly mentions his 2nd Dan TKD and the various Dan rankings in his own systems on there?

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 6:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also like to assure Mr. Hardy (if he's reading this) that this MABS investigation is certainly not motivated by jealousy, or a desire to do a hatchet job on him, or **** up his ****.

Rather it's concern. Concern for potential students. We (I don't claim to speak for the site - but I believe that this is pretty much a universal sentiment here) think that it's a bad thing if someone takes martial arts lessons in the belief that they are learning how to fight, or defend themselves - only to later discover (perhaps during a real-world violent situation, with health and/or life on the line) that the material they have been taught is ineffective, or has been taught in such an ineffective manner by an instructor who lacks knowledge and proficiency to an extent as to render the material useless - and that they have thus been walking around with a dangerously false sense of security WRT their ability to protect themselves and their loved ones. That sucks, to put it mildly - not to mention being a complete waste of folks' hard-earned money, and no-one wants to see that.

Concerns have been raised, based upon the material presented by Mr. Hardy online - and it would be really helpful if he could work with us to establish that the above is not the case here.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Ultimate Lutalo & Tigeress ; Taewresdo kickboxing - Basic Punching Combos

As someone who has been boxing for years I'd say for a noob, this video isn't ALL bad.
    The punch mechanics are reasonably good, the feet pivot correctly to the punch being thrown and her elbows are down.

Yes, the hook starts a little low and has an upward trajectory, but this is honestly no worse than most boxing noobs with a few weeks of training.

If anything, the pad holding looks worse than the punching. He does this weird circle walking thing, and doesn't seem to catch the punches. He also doesn't correct faults in technique, or encourage the puncher to learn their range and come closer so that they can actually hit the pads with any power.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast