Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after watching Hardy's videos......he shouldnt even be teaching TKD.....by Korea standards his skill level is yellow belt.

if im not mistaken, i think one can teach as a 1st Dan but they have to have an instructor's license......thats the gist i got from my senior's broken engrish.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju_King View Post
    after watching Hardy's videos......he shouldnt even be teaching TKD.....by Korea standards his skill level is yellow belt.

if im not mistaken, i think one can teach as a 1st Dan but they have to have an instructor's license......thats the gist i got from my senior's broken engrish.
    For the record (for the purposes of the thread - not because I'm saying that I don't believe you), what is your experience with TKD on which you're basing this judgement?

Also, from one of Hardy's MySpace pages:

I would go on to formally train in Taekwondo under Brad Tinnon of the U.S Taekwondo Center of Master Pyong Tuk Ko. Under Sa Bum Nim Tinnon, I learned WTF Taekwondo and was exposed to Hapkido and Tai Chi in my trainning too. Brad Tinnnon moved on to affiliation with the Action Arts Academy, and I was in his first class of testing black belts, earning my 1st Dan in WTF Taekwondo from him in a mere 2 and a half years opposed to the normal 5 to 6 years.
    As far as I am aware, the WTF is supposed to have higher standards than, say the ATA - how common is it within this org for students to receive their black belt after less than three years? Would this typically only happen if the person in question was an exceptional student?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 5:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is interesting because his earlier post, in this thread, states:
    - I formally trained under Brad Tinnon for about 4 years. i attained a 1st Dan from him in WTF Taekwondo. As part of the training for higher belts there was basic Hapkido for self defense, and some advanced belts worked a tai chi form. I picked up the Hapkido from Mr. Tinnon and The Tai Chi form from fellow students. I later recieved my 2nd Dan in Taekwondo from the Taekwondo branch of the WUMA
    So, we have two strong contradictions. The time is obvious , but pay attention to the different wording about Tai Chi.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not necessarily. It could have taken him 2.5 years to get his black belt and then he continued training there another 1.5 years.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 5:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Not necessarily. It could have taken him 2.5 years to get his black belt and then he continued training there another 1.5 years.
    That's what I thought at first and you could be correct. I just find both claims contradictory because, he said he was clearing things up. So, the vagueness of the implied hapkido and Tai Chi in his training is solidified. He picked it up from students and he wasn't formally taught Tai Chi. Hardy " picked up the Hapkido from Mr. Tinnon and The Tai Chi form from fellow students." He also says almost four years as opposed to 2 and a half here on bullshido.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 6:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go on to formally train in Taekwondo under Brad Tinnon of the U.S Taekwondo Center of Master Pyong Tuk Ko. Under Sa Bum Nim Tinnon, I learned WTF Taekwondo and was exposed to Hapkido and Tai Chi in my trainning too. Brad Tinnnon moved on to affiliation with the Action Arts Academy
    Some things I thought I'd add:

- Sa Bum Nim is a 3rd degree/dan black belt. If we are assuming that WTF requires head instructors to be 4th degree in order to promote students to black belt, then Mr Tinnon didn't have those credentials WITH THE WTF (kukkiwon).

- Mr Tinnon affiliated with another academy (Action Arts) who very well may have had a 4th degree/dan head instructor on staff. At that point, the head instructor at Action Arts, if affiliated with the WTF, could promote Mr Tinnon's students (which includes Mr Hardy) under kukkiwon rules.

The discussion of the TKD credentials is a horrible distraction at this point. Mr Hardy (probably) has a 1st degree/dan black belt through the WTF/kukkiwon. With what we understand, he can NOT promote students through the WTF. He has no affiliation with the WTF and is not claiming to be teaching WTF. The TKD issue is a gray area non-issue.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 7:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    F. The TKD issue is a gray area non-issue.
    No, the WTF Org derail I caused is a gray area. If he created his own art and taught only TKD, under his current named art, we would barely be discussing this guy at all. It would be chalked up to another TKD/Karate/KungFU guy buying a Grand Master Title.

My issue was we shouldn't write an article and draw the conclusion he shouldn't be teaching any Martial arts.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 7:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, the WTF Org derail I caused is a gray area. If he created his own art and taught only TKD, under his current named art, we would barely be discussing this guy at all. It would be chalked up to another TKD/Karate/KungFU guy buying a Grand Master Title.
    That's what I was trying to get at. The recent TKD discussion is not worthy of all of the focus it has received. It is an issue, but not at all a core issue with what is going on with Mr Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    My issue was we shouldn't write an article and draw the conclusion he shouldn't be teaching any Martial arts.
    Right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 10:33pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me re-state something from an earlier post where I quoted Mr. Tinnon. Mr. Tinnon stated that Hardy might have attained a "club" black belt, he did not remember Hardy attaining a WTF recognized black belt. But Mr. Tinnon did admit that his records from the time when Hardy was training with him were not complete.

So, from this information, it seems that Mr. Hardy is not qualified to teach WTF TKD. If we follow the WTF standards for teaching and promoting, he would be at the minimum, 3 Dan rankings short.

Am I right? Or wrong?

And I can find no mention of who his Godfather trained in Wing Chun with. And I wonder if Mr Hardy's Father's basic judo and boxing skills were just a part of the old Marine training routine? I don't know any Marins from that era that would be able to comment on the H2H training Marines received in the Vietnam era.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three claims of his would seem to be immediately check-able.

1. Claims of studying TKD to 1st Dan under Brad Tinnon
    I know Brad personally, and have trained under him. Great guy, very good sports fighter, and he even has a few state level champions in WTF. A majority of his black belts are not worthwhile however.

"Exposed to" hapkido and tai chi I can also attest to. As much positive I can say for Brad, the "exposure" his students gets to these two style is non-existent. If someone would like I can verify his training with a phone call, but it wouldn't change much.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast