Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 3:38pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    In all fairness your only seeing a small snap shot of whats going on in these families. The context of what you see, how you see it is all being decided on by someone else who knows what sort of agenda they have?
    That's a good point and is the case for a lot of things such as this. I think what got me was when he asked his daughter what she loves and she said fighting, then winning.

... right.

She's telling him what he tells her to say, that girl doesn't like winning, she's just doing what Daddy told her to do.

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 3:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    She's telling him what he tells her to say, that girl doesn't like winning, she's just doing what Daddy told her to do.
    True but isn't that the role of a parent to help guide their kid. So she grows up to like to fight and to win. I see nothing inherently wrong with trying to raise a winner and someone who will fight to do so.
    I look at it this way, I have a 5 year old girl I know better than she does. I "make" her do BJJ and Judo, does she enjoy it yes most of the time she does, certainly their are times where she would rather stay home and play the WII or draw princesses but their are things that sport grappling teachers her that I want her to know so off to the gym she goes.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 3:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshit, recourse got it right. Listen to the semantics of what the parents are saying. You aren't standing around claiming it is your dream for you daughter to be an MMA fighter. You are just keeping a kid on task. That is totally different than the projection these parents are doing.

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 4:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Bullshit, recourse got it right. Listen to the semantics of what the parents are saying. You aren't standing around claiming it is your dream for you daughter to be an MMA fighter. You are just keeping a kid on task. That is totally different than the projection these parents are doing.
    In part I am just playing devils advocate, but I can also see how these people can be painted in a bad light through the use of editing, taking choice statements and the what not.
    Its really hard to say also do we come down this hard on the soccer, ballet, academic, baseball, football, moms and dads out there. I see it all the time they just want to push their kids to excel is it excessive certainly but are these parents getting more of a bad rap because of the violence involved in kick boxing vs being forced to study 20 hours a week on top of a normal school load?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 5:31pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post

cant argue with that. however regardless of whether the young lass pursues fighting during the course of her life or not, this experience will no doubt install some good values in her.

examples being work ethic, commitment, self motivation and awesome leg kicks.

** edit: spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 8:25pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    In part I am just playing devils advocate, but I can also see how these people can be painted in a bad light through the use of editing, taking choice statements and the what not.
    Its really hard to say also do we come down this hard on the soccer, ballet, academic, baseball, football, moms and dads out there. I see it all the time they just want to push their kids to excel is it excessive certainly but are these parents getting more of a bad rap because of the violence involved in kick boxing vs being forced to study 20 hours a week on top of a normal school load?
    I would come down on those people as well. Those type of parents are projecting their dreams, in whatever field, on their child and in most of the cases that will lead to problems for the child later on. If I'm not mistaken this type of documentary's also exist for ballet moms, and people come down on those mothers just as hard. With all the rules in place, physically these kids will be fine. But psychologically from dealing with all that pressure at that age? I can see that as cause for a depression in their teens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    I would come down on those people as well. Those type of parents are projecting their dreams, in whatever field, on their child and in most of the cases that will lead to problems for the child later on. If I'm not mistaken this type of documentary's also exist for ballet moms, and people come down on those mothers just as hard. With all the rules in place, physically these kids will be fine. But psychologically from dealing with all that pressure at that age? I can see that as cause for a depression in their teens.

wouldnt that depend on the individual child ?

case in point being young thai fighters, it appeared that it was really only the young girl in the first clip that seemed uncomfortable with her parents pressure. the lads throughout the doco appeared as though they genuinely enjoyed training and competing.

its a bit broad to suggest that children with argueably forceful parents will all turn into delinquent youths with daddy issues.

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 9:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it really comes down to if the pressure is to participate and give it their all or if the pressure is to win. Of course for many of these parents it really is the former but is often expressed as the later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well no parent wants to invest alot of time and money into an activity that their child wishes to participate and be **** at it.

Posted On:
    11/03/2010 9:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    well no parent wants to invest alot of time and money into an activity that their child wishes to participate and be **** at it.
    Have you seen how delusion parents are about their children's abilities? Of course this could be because you are absolutely right and they are just fooling them selves.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast