Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 3:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    My parents want me to take something with a ranking system as it looks good on my resume and what not for future job applications
    What kind of jobs look at your martial arts rank? Even in occupations where violence is a possibility (bouncer,cop,soldier) I've found that prospective employers are less intersted in trappings like belts and certs than in actual experience. And yes, training and experience are different things. The guy who breaks a thousand bricks in a dojo will generally be a lesser fighter than the guy who breaks one jaw in a nightclub.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 9:21pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ITF does not exist anymore, so no, they will not be merging, despite what the bullshit peice of trash North Korean propoganda rag known as TKDTimes may tell you.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/14/2010 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Yes, thats what I've been thinking. My dojang is pretty good by taekwondo standards (the conditioning is tough, the instructor there is modest and knowledgable and there are multiple hand techniques being taught) but the sub-par sparring system is really a great turnoff for me.

Why am I taught, outside of sparring, about how to use my elbows and knees when its never allowed? Why ban going to the ground when the WTF curriculum (yes, I am serious!) has several grappling moves (but still no ground game...)

To me, thats just silly. My instructor frequently buggers his superiors in Hong Kong Taekwondo Association meetings and what not to try to form a full contact and blows allowed everywhere form of sparring but has never been taken seriously.

Anyhow, what art would you suggest me taking? My parents want me to take something with a ranking system as it looks good on my resume and what not for future job applications....

Thanks
    Savate has ranking: no belts, but glove colors (it's a badge on your suit, you don't have to change boxing gloves)
    Blue-Green-Red-White-Yellow (=1st Dan) - Silver (=4th Dan) - Gold (=7th Dan)

Depending from Federation some Muay Thai organisations have belts/sashes.
    Like the one I'm with (United World Muay Thai Councel)
    White-Yellow-Orange-Green-Blue-Purple-Brown-Black (the end)

Full Contact goes up to 6th Dan grade.

So like I said before, shop around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 6:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Savate has ranking: no belts, but glove colors (it's a badge on your suit, you don't have to change boxing gloves)

By comparison, though, those rank systems are sort of obscure. Everyone knows what a black belt means but if you tell someone "I have a 3rd degree silver glove/Master of Sport/menkyo kaiden/medium blue sash with 2 logos" you invariably get a blank look followed by "So... is that like a black belt?". And then, rather getting into an explanation you know the listener won't understand and doesn't really care about your response will inevitably be*sigh* "Yeah, it's exactly like a black belt".

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 6:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    By comparison, though, those rank systems are sort of obscure. Everyone knows what a black belt means but if you tell someone "I have a 3rd degree silver glove/Master of Sport/menkyo kaiden/medium blue sash with 2 logos" you invariably get a blank look followed by "So... is that like a black belt?". And then, rather getting into an explanation you know the listener won't understand and doesn't really care about your response will inevitably be*sigh* "Yeah, it's exactly like a black belt".
    That's true.
    I don't even put ranks on my CV.

With hobbies I just sum the Combat Sports up, put between brackets the text "and still a pacifist", than I say that I also do ballroom and Latin dancing and sum those dances up.

Most job interviewers laugh on the "and still a pacifist" and the difference between Combat Sports and Ballroom-Latin Dancing, so the situation is defused (for some reason a lot of interviewers think that you will assault your collegues on a bad day).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 2:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be a pacifist.

You can't be a sarcastic asshole & be a pacifist. Not if you want to keep your face and/or your junk intact.

Posted On:
    11/15/2010 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When hiring entry level people I us to look at things that show accomplishment. IE Eagle Scout, Black Belt, ect something that shows they did something with their lives other than just go to school.
    Generally I don't give a **** about that sort of thing when I was looking to hire you know experienced people. I could care less if your black belt if you have 10 years of experience in the job I am hiring for.
    edited to add
    Although it certainly wouldn't hurt to see BJJ or Judo black belt on a resume that comes across my desk no matter what type of job I am hiring for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 9:15am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    What kind of jobs look at your martial arts rank? Even in occupations where violence is a possibility (bouncer,cop,soldier) I've found that prospective employers are less intersted in trappings like belts and certs than in actual experience. And yes, training and experience are different things. The guy who breaks a thousand bricks in a dojo will generally be a lesser fighter than the guy who breaks one jaw in a nightclub.
    Nearly all jobs. I was looking at applying for a spot as a F&B (Food and Beverage) assistant manager at a hotel (I know, I'm only in my first year of uni but its never too early) and the person through the phone said that they would like more "rounded" (aka not people who spend their entire lives studying and doing nothing else) employees. Same for many other spots which do not even require self defense skills.

To most of us here , x number of years in a martial art is enough but for people that don't know martial arts, belts are REALLY important as they are kind of seen like diplomas. While most employers won't be able to recite the IBJJF belt system to you, they would know that black belt= good skill level.

Hence, thats why my parents want me to get a black belt or a competition belt (like in muay thai). Between the two, I'd say the black one is easier to get...as in grading..you are only up against yourself...in competitions...you are up against everyone there...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post

So like I said before, shop around.
    Yeah...the muay thai gym near me doesn't have belts though (except the ones you win in actual ring fights) and there aren't any sambo schools either (there isn't a SINGLE sambo school in HK)...

thanks for your suggestions though :thumbsup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2010 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazzzuka View Post
    Take th3 d33dly Judo
    yep, its that or bjj for my grappling/ground game. any suggestions as to which to choose? I live in HK if that helps btw

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast