Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's such a good idea, but I'm going to be a bit of a devil's advocate here.

Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    "Circumcising the wrist, removing his weapon hand."

And... right. What does he think the thing is, a lightsaber? I don't think this thing has the mass or is anywhere near sharp enough to sever the bones of the wrist just by pivoting around it like that.
    It seems to me that most of the force being supplied isn't coming from you swinging the weapon- it's coming from your opponent's arm swinging into a blade shaped wall. If they're attacking with serious intent to harm (I assume they would if they have a weapon), it seems that they really could be launching a lot of force into damaging their own limb. I doubt it would be doing any hand removing, but I'll bet after one or a few of those defanging blocks your opponent would at least be persuaded to proceed more cautiously in their movements, and at best would be unable to grip a weapon in that hand.

Additionally, a more conventional fighting knife can be used to do everything he shows in this video with the exception of actually catching a wrist on the blade. Of course doing that requires those nice big telegraphed movements we all love so much.
    Yeah, and a larger conventional fighting knife can catch the wrist on the blade, especially one with a large guard like a bowie knife. I have a Mexican style bowie knife with a knuckle guard that would give even better security for the fingers when doing that kind of thing.

My biggest problem with it is this: It looks like blade on blade contact to the outer edges would channel a blade directly into your hand. Other problems are the chisel grind and the fact that it must be horrible tip heavy due to its shape. The chisel grind issue is a bit of an antiquated one, I admit. It used to be that a chisel grind was the mark of a low-quality knife and that stigma has never left me, despite manufacturers like Emerson using chisel grinds. But whatever. I certainly won't be buying it.
    If I was designing a knife like that, I would probably have added a weighted pommel (to make it less tip heavy, maybe a skull crusher type in case you need to use it in an awkward position) and some kind of guard to minimize those issues. What I imagined was like a Cold Steel tai pan dagger with the funky Klingon blade, but then I thought that it would be way better to just have a regular tai pan. I also think the hollow ground blade was a poor choice for what his weapon was designed to do- it looks like he's proposing it to be used for forceful defanging blocks against weapon attacks, and as such that blade would be taking direct smashing contact with bones, clothing, weapons etc. Something like a double bevel grind would be a better shape for receiving direct contact without ruining the edge.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I don't understand is why someone would take the time to develop an entire web site around selling one 300 dollar knife that is purely based on conjecture and theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 3:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trick knives people do it all the time.
    That folder. (Cannot remember the name) bassed on the cutthroat razor.
    The Spiderco gunting that you can open by smacking someone with it
    even the Kramit which again I dont think does anything a normal knife wont do. Although it sold a lot better.

This is the same reason you have a non slip grip on your toothbrush and 10 blades on your saftey razor

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 7:48am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's massive a well, looks much bigger 'in acrion' than I thought it would. Well considering what it's designed for it's understandable.

Still looks horrible though, a proper larpers knife.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 7:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Random thought, maybe mounting it on a long stick would improve it's functionality.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 10:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    Random thought, maybe mounting it on a long stick would improve it's functionality.
    Like this?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 10:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking a more European styled pole arm but that works too.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 11:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're gonna put a big crescent shaped blade perpendicular to a shaft, you might as well add a thrusting tip in the middle and make a trident/jumonji yari so you can use the shaft length to keep distance and straight thrust.

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 11:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually if I am going to have a bladed weapon soley for the pourpose of self defence a big bloody spear would be my choice

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I learned anything from deadliest warrior is pole arms is where its at.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast