Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:26am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about this one. After the "self-defense" book Royce was in, I'm skeptical that this book will provide anything that isn't done better elsewhere, other than maybe the Gracie Diet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 11:32am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wtf. if it was some no name making the book and not royce gracie he would get reamed here for that photo.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want the "SUPER FLY" book.

FOM you are a fitness maniac.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FOM you are a fitness maniac.
    Its just my online persona.
    I'm actually a 400lb couch potato.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wtf. if it was some no name making the book and not royce gracie he would get reamed here for that photo.
    But since we know it is Royce Gracie and he has backed up his **** many many times, then there is no need to ream him.
    - Pizdoff

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But since we know it is Royce Gracie and he has backed up his **** many many times, then there is no need to ream him.
    No that's not true. Bad technique is bad technique, no matter who is doing it. The fact that he has proven himself in MMA means he has the responsibility to put out products of high caliber. People see his picture or his name and automatically think, "if Royce does it this way it must be good" but his BJJ self-defense book already proved that to be false.

I'm sorry but I can't forgive him for how horrible the BJJ self-defense book was. There is no excuse for someone that we know, knows how to fight, to put out a product that bad. I'm not talking about production values and phyiscal quality of the book, those were actually quite high, but the content itself was crap.

When a person with a proven reptuation for fighting ability puts out a piece of **** like that, it is 1000 times worse than a when bullshido artist who believes his own hype does the same. Royce should know better.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. Because everyone around here just GUSHES over the Self-Defense book, and the Rigan Machado book. Come on. Cut the bullshit.

Is that picture supposed to be a demonstration of "technique"? He has a tension band around his ankles, and the other guy is actually stabilizing him. He's exercising. Pull yer heads out of yer fourth points of contact.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record I didn't have a problem with the picture in question, only the assupmtion that because he is a proven fighter any product Royce decides to put his name or face on is beyond reproach.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said any product he puts his name to is beyond reproach, neither did anyone else..

I was commenting on the fact that while an unknown martial artist MAY get **** for the pose on the front cover, since its Royce Gracie and we are aware he knows how to fight, I don't give a **** what the picture looks like.
    - Pizdoff

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/03/2004 6:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough, we all know it's not wise to judge a book by its cover. I agree that someone of Royce's credentials should usually be given the benefit of the doubt, but I've already been burned once and that reintroduces doubt for me. I likely won't be purchasing this book without a seeing a large amount of favorable reviews, or at least some extended prepurchase reading time at the book store.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12