224661 Bullies, 3745 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 4:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More on the UFC Gym

So, an editorial I did that got posted on BS regarding the UFC Gym last year still pops up on google all the time and I unofficially maintain is the reason why my applications for press credentials to Zuffa events are never well received.

Now, scuttlebutt is now that New York is the prime target for their first attempt to reach outside of California with the chain. Information on the when and where is somewhat sketchy, but they are very clear that it's going to happen.

I detailed a little follow up on the editorial here.

It's clearly not the end of the world. Some places will even turn a big profit off it. But I think the smaller gyms are going to get hit.

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 4:30pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    So, an editorial I did that got posted on BS regarding the UFC Gym last year still pops up on google all the time and I unofficially maintain is the reason why my applications for press credentials to Zuffa events are never well received.

Now, scuttlebutt is now that New York is the prime target for their first attempt to reach outside of California with the chain. Information on the when and where is somewhat sketchy, but they are very clear that it's going to happen.

I detailed a little follow up on the editorial here.

It's clearly not the end of the world. Some places will even turn a big profit off it. But I think the smaller gyms are going to get hit.
    That is a great article, and it makes me want to read your original critique. Other than congratulations, I'm posting this to illustrate a typographical error in the article:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paragraph
    The UFC Gym will provide a brand new hub for unprepared potential athlete,s who no responsible coach or promoter would set up with a fight, to meet, build confidence, and head over to a one-sided beating in an unsanctioned bout.
    The error is still there as I type this, having just refreshed the page.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 12:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Caught it one minute after you did, fucking Nazi. :qgaraduat

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 1:42am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Caught it one minute after you did, fucking Nazi. :qgaraduat
    That's what they (don't) pay me for. :owneddanc

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 2:43am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article! I find it amazing that New York is a holdout for MMA. I saw UFC Gym in Riverside for the first time the other day. I didn't have time to go in but its farther from my area than I realized, not as big as it looks in the pictures either but still pretty big. I wonder how the 10th Planet across the street from them feels about have the UFC gym as a neighbor.

Posted On:
    11/02/2010 2:56am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how much 10th Planet will care. Seems to me that all they'll have to do is send a guy over to buy a membership on a busy day and go do some open mat rolling. Then casually note that he trains across the way after he eats some face. That assumes that the caliber of instructor there is going to be lower, though. Could be UFC-mart will drive all the smaller schools out of business and they'll end up with the good instructors, too...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if this has been posted yet, but some of you might find this awesome:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/11/0...expected-home/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 11:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Great article! I find it amazing that New York is a holdout for MMA. I saw UFC Gym in Riverside for the first time the other day. I didn't have time to go in but its farther from my area than I realized, not as big as it looks in the pictures either but still pretty big. I wonder how the 10th Planet across the street from them feels about have the UFC gym as a neighbor.
    well it's a exit or two down the road...it's off mckinley and the 10th planet is off of Tyler, no? But there's a gracie Barra literally across the freeway...and allegedly a purple and brown belt instructor from over there has been looking at the place.

I joked with one of the sales people that they were wal-marting mma...I was there the day Dana tweet'd it as a scavenger hunt item....the dude running the whole thing...Adam Sadleck...taller than he looks in the vids. Anyway, rolled up and was maintaining that it would enhance not hurt local spots. He made an excellent point that if you were training or ranking somewhere else and happy they would pose no threat. He felt that the Riverside area needed this because the demand was so high.

The showroom is where they are until it is finished and it is an awesome spot. They are going to get a lot of kids and noobs in there on general principle. It's a 24 hour fitness for mma? I asked him if there would be any mma teams training out of there and he didn't really give me an answer...he just said that they were not really a fighter gym. The one thing that amazed me was the price. Intro price was $39 every two weeks. All you can eat training and being open form 5am to 10pm? Wow!