1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 9:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Old Grapplers and Forearm Tendons

So I wanted to survey the older guys (over 30) and see how your forearms are feeling and what you are doing about it. Ice, heat, drugs, stretches, exercises etc.

I have a lot of tendon pain and tightness in my wrists and forearms especially after Gi class. I have a pre-existing injury in my right arm because I broke it and have a plate and screws in there that limit flexibility. My pain is specifically along the tendons and hurts more but feels better if I really rub the tendons about 2" back from my wrist.

Anyone else?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 10:15am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm only in grappling a few months but I'm over 30 (still brand new though!) - my forearms only give me trouble if I roll with 4 or 5 partners in a row and it's usually just lactic acid build up. I do however have problems with the knuckles closest to the nail on most of my fingers. I have constant pain and tightness in these knuckles particularly on my left hand (since taking up BJJ). I find they hurt more in the morning (particularly after class) but the pain clears up with ibuprofen. Not sure if this is just weak tendons or some kind of joint damage. Not overly worried for the moment but would like to know if others have experienced the same (does it clear up or does grappling always = sore fingers)?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 10:53am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    So I wanted to survey the older guys (over 30) and see how your forearms are feeling and what you are doing about it. Ice, heat, drugs, stretches, exercises etc.

I have a lot of tendon pain and tightness in my wrists and forearms especially after Gi class. I have a pre-existing injury in my right arm because I broke it and have a plate and screws in there that limit flexibility. My pain is specifically along the tendons and hurts more but feels better if I really rub the tendons about 2" back from my wrist.

Anyone else?
    Ah yeah...learn to relax. Your problem isn't only going to be in your forearms the injury is going to travel usually through the shoulder and then the back. Take a break and then learn to use loose grips in your grappling.

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 31 and do 6 to 7 1 1/2 hour lessons a week and have not found any issue with my forearms but then again I have fairly relaxed with my grips. But I do tend to use ice mostly when I do hurt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am 31 and do 6 to 7 1 1/2 hour lessons a week and have not found any issue with my forearms but then again I have fairly relaxed with my grips. But I do tend to use ice mostly when I do hurt.
    Bah, you're still young.

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Bah, you're still young.
    true but I am over 30 and quite out of shape(but hopefully not for too much longer).

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 x 1.5hour classes a week? Do you have a job?

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I'm only in grappling a few months but I'm over 30 (still brand new though!) - my forearms only give me trouble if I roll with 4 or 5 partners in a row and it's usually just lactic acid build up. I do however have problems with the knuckles closest to the nail on most of my fingers. I have constant pain and tightness in these knuckles particularly on my left hand (since taking up BJJ). I find they hurt more in the morning (particularly after class) but the pain clears up with ibuprofen. Not sure if this is just weak tendons or some kind of joint damage. Not overly worried for the moment but would like to know if others have experienced the same (does it clear up or does grappling always = sore fingers)?
    I have stiffness is the first joint too sometimes. Especially the pinky. A brown belt in my class said he just started using a 3 finger grip in the gi because he couldn't stop hurting his pinky finger.

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Ah yeah...learn to relax. Your problem isn't only going to be in your forearms the injury is going to travel usually through the shoulder and then the back. Take a break and then learn to use loose grips in your grappling.
    I'm pretty relaxed in general. I had the same sort of pain when I did rock climbing too. Not that rock climbing is relaxing but you can't get very far rock climbing unless you are relaxed.

HOWEVER, I will try any sort of different grip that takes less strength. Is there some technique to holding the Gi when people are trying to break your grip that causes less stress?

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I have stiffness is the first joint too sometimes. Especially the pinky. A brown belt in my class said he just started using a 3 finger grip in the gi because he couldn't stop hurting his pinky finger.
    I do get the stiffness in the hands as well.
    To answer the other question no, not really I pick up what ever contracting work I can usually IT stuff.
    I am currently working towards a degree in Electronic Engineering where I am taking 11 units in an 8 week interval. Plus having a family and all that jazz.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast