230734 Bullies, 3798 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 24
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,176

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 9:52am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Old Grapplers and Forearm Tendons

    So I wanted to survey the older guys (over 30) and see how your forearms are feeling and what you are doing about it. Ice, heat, drugs, stretches, exercises etc.

    I have a lot of tendon pain and tightness in my wrists and forearms especially after Gi class. I have a pre-existing injury in my right arm because I broke it and have a plate and screws in there that limit flexibility. My pain is specifically along the tendons and hurts more but feels better if I really rub the tendons about 2" back from my wrist.

    Anyone else?
  2. Prince Vlad is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    499

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 10:15am


     Style: BJJ n stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm only in grappling a few months but I'm over 30 (still brand new though!) - my forearms only give me trouble if I roll with 4 or 5 partners in a row and it's usually just lactic acid build up. I do however have problems with the knuckles closest to the nail on most of my fingers. I have constant pain and tightness in these knuckles particularly on my left hand (since taking up BJJ). I find they hurt more in the morning (particularly after class) but the pain clears up with ibuprofen. Not sure if this is just weak tendons or some kind of joint damage. Not overly worried for the moment but would like to know if others have experienced the same (does it clear up or does grappling always = sore fingers)?
  3. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,063

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 10:53am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    So I wanted to survey the older guys (over 30) and see how your forearms are feeling and what you are doing about it. Ice, heat, drugs, stretches, exercises etc.

    I have a lot of tendon pain and tightness in my wrists and forearms especially after Gi class. I have a pre-existing injury in my right arm because I broke it and have a plate and screws in there that limit flexibility. My pain is specifically along the tendons and hurts more but feels better if I really rub the tendons about 2" back from my wrist.

    Anyone else?
    Ah yeah...learn to relax. Your problem isn't only going to be in your forearms the injury is going to travel usually through the shoulder and then the back. Take a break and then learn to use loose grips in your grappling.
  4. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,445

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:00pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 31 and do 6 to 7 1 1/2 hour lessons a week and have not found any issue with my forearms but then again I have fairly relaxed with my grips. But I do tend to use ice mostly when I do hurt.
  5. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,063

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:03pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am 31 and do 6 to 7 1 1/2 hour lessons a week and have not found any issue with my forearms but then again I have fairly relaxed with my grips. But I do tend to use ice mostly when I do hurt.
    Bah, you're still young.
  6. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,445

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:07pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Bah, you're still young.
    true but I am over 30 and quite out of shape(but hopefully not for too much longer).
  7. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,176

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:24pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 x 1.5hour classes a week? Do you have a job?
  8. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,176

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:25pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I'm only in grappling a few months but I'm over 30 (still brand new though!) - my forearms only give me trouble if I roll with 4 or 5 partners in a row and it's usually just lactic acid build up. I do however have problems with the knuckles closest to the nail on most of my fingers. I have constant pain and tightness in these knuckles particularly on my left hand (since taking up BJJ). I find they hurt more in the morning (particularly after class) but the pain clears up with ibuprofen. Not sure if this is just weak tendons or some kind of joint damage. Not overly worried for the moment but would like to know if others have experienced the same (does it clear up or does grappling always = sore fingers)?
    I have stiffness is the first joint too sometimes. Especially the pinky. A brown belt in my class said he just started using a 3 finger grip in the gi because he couldn't stop hurting his pinky finger.
  9. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,176

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:28pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Ah yeah...learn to relax. Your problem isn't only going to be in your forearms the injury is going to travel usually through the shoulder and then the back. Take a break and then learn to use loose grips in your grappling.
    I'm pretty relaxed in general. I had the same sort of pain when I did rock climbing too. Not that rock climbing is relaxing but you can't get very far rock climbing unless you are relaxed.

    HOWEVER, I will try any sort of different grip that takes less strength. Is there some technique to holding the Gi when people are trying to break your grip that causes less stress?
  10. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,445

    Posted On:
    11/01/2010 12:31pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I have stiffness is the first joint too sometimes. Especially the pinky. A brown belt in my class said he just started using a 3 finger grip in the gi because he couldn't stop hurting his pinky finger.
    I do get the stiffness in the hands as well.
    To answer the other question no, not really I pick up what ever contracting work I can usually IT stuff.
    I am currently working towards a degree in Electronic Engineering where I am taking 11 units in an 8 week interval. Plus having a family and all that jazz.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.